News: DMN: The five best Dallas Cowboys CBs of all time, ranked: Is Prime Time No. 1 or is it one of...

Ashwynn

Reaction score
I would switch 4 and 5 - Cubbie belongs at 2. Renfro was before my time but you cant argue with his stats and achievements. All in all, a pretty solid list, though Newman at 4, thats a stretch.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Please. Deion was so good, teams rarely threw his way. He returned punts and played WR because he got so little action on D.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Deion wasn't a Cowboy. That's just my view.
If Deion wasn't a Cowboy, he shouldn't be on the list at all. If he is on the list, he's easily number one. Deion is mentioned as maybe the best CB of all time regardless of team, none of the other CBs on the list are. There at allot of reasons to hate on Prime Time, his play on the field isn't one of them.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Deion wasn't a Cowboy, he shouldn't be on the list at all. If he is on the list, he's easily number one. Deion is mentioned as maybe the best CB of all time regardless of team, none of the other CBs on the list are. There at allot of reasons to hate on Prime Time, his play on the field isn't one of them.

Renfro spent his entire career in Dallas and had six seasons with four-plus interceptions, including two with seven and one with 10.

Sanders spent six seasons in Dallas and had one with more than four interceptions (five). I'm not sure Sanders ever was a better player than Renfro (I think an argument could be made either way), but he wasn't a better player during his time in Dallas.

Sanders also wasn't better than Walls as a Cowboy. Walls had 11 interceptions his rookie year, 7 the next year and 9 a couple of years later, and five years total with 4-plus.

I know the argument is that teams didn't throw Sanders' way, but do you think teams wanted to throw at either Renfro or Walls?

I have nothing against Sanders and believe he is one of the best corners in the game, but he was not the best corner in a Cowboys uniform. Not sure he was better than Green as a Cowboy.

I also like Terence Newman better than some around here, but I'm not sure he belongs on this list. I'd probably go with Dennis Thurman ahead of him because Newman never had a season as good as Thurman had in 1981, when he made nine interceptions, including one to clinch a playoff victory over Green Bay.

Last edited:

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
Only changes I'd make? is getting rid of Newman and Green and going with?
Brown and Smith

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Was going to be critical of the list and say kinda slim pickings for a team that has the lore of the Dalllas Cowboys. Then I thought about the CB's in other teams history. Good corners are few and far between.. Probably the hardest position to play on the field. If you suck you get picked on. If you good you get no play.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If you allow Deion, then Herb Adderly should probably also be added for consideration. He was a Cowboy from 1970 to 1972. He's a Hall of Fame CB as well. He should get consideration on this list if you are going to say that Deion gets consideration.

BTW, I would rank Deion first as well.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
If you allow Deion, then Herb Adderly should probably also be added for consideration. He was a Cowboy from 1970 to 1972. He's a Hall of Fame CB as well. He should get consideration on this list if you are going to say that Deion gets consideration.

BTW, I would rank Deion first as well.
I guess the distinction that some are making is, "Who was the best CB during their Cowboys tenure" which is a different question. The original question to me read as if it was a career ranking.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I guess the distinction that some are making is, "Who was the best CB during their Cowboys tenure" which is a different question. The original question to me read as if it was a career ranking.

Good Point!

rockj7

Reaction score
Was going to be critical of the list and say kinda slim pickings for a team that has the lore of the Dalllas Cowboys. Then I thought about the CB's in other teams history. Good corners are few and far between.. Probably the hardest position to play on the field. If you suck you get picked on. If you good you get no play.

Even harder to play in today's NFL