News: DMN: Tony Dungy reflects on the 1998 Vikings, a 15-1 team with their own Prescott vs

robjay04

Reaction score
Romo >> Johnson; Prescott < Cunningham; and the Vikings lost in the playoffs without getting to the super bowl. Sounds like an argument to start Romo to me.

How so?

Cunningham is a better qb than Johnson and they made it to the NFCCG and lost by 3. I am a Romo fan but that is more of an accomplishment than Romo has ever had.

Gator88

Reaction score
How so?

Cunningham is a better qb than Johnson and they made it to the NFCCG and lost by 3. I am a Romo fan but that is more of an accomplishment than Romo has ever had.
It goes to show that even a better rookie QB in a better situation didn't even make it to the Super Bowl. The QB can only do so much, but playing a rookie QB in the playoffs puts you in an enormous hold because there is a lot they haven't seen that can be thrown at them.

robjay04

Reaction score
It goes to show that even a better rookie QB in a better situation didn't even make it to the Super Bowl. The QB can only do so much, but playing a rookie QB in the playoffs puts you in an enormous hold because there is a lot they haven't seen that can be thrown at them.

Well Cunningham was far from a rookie so maybe it's not the best comparasion. The point Dungy was making is going with the hot hand, which in this case is Prescott.

It could be a problem with Prescott in the playoffs being a rookie, it could be with Romo as well with all of the pressure on him to perform. Some rookie QBs are just naturals though winning playoff games at a young age, Big Ben, Brady, Wilson etc.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Romo >> Johnson; Prescott < Cunningham; and the Vikings lost in the playoffs without getting to the super bowl. Sounds like an argument to start Romo to me.

Cunnngham was 35 in 1998. And his completion rate was 60.9%. I'll take the 23 year old Prescott with his 66.5%. Yes it may not finish that way end of season, but he can only get better understanding the game.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
How so?

Not with a team like this; the big difference being the defense although in general the offense wasn't this good either.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
How so?

Um bc Brad Johnson was never more than a bus driver and Romo has proven he is an All Pro QB. And you are trying to make a team accomplishment reflective of one player. Romo prior to 2014 had one of the worst OL in the league, which btw is why they started using all their 1st on OL.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

Way to miss the analogy.

And the Vikings didn't lose because of Cunningham. They loss because their kicker who hadn't missed a kick all season cracked under pressure.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Um bc Brad Johnson was never more than a bus driver and Romo has proven he is an All Pro QB. And you are trying to make a team accomplishment reflective of one player. Romo prior to 2014 had one of the worst OL in the league, which btw is why they started using all their 1st on OL.

So tell me how does a team with an awful O line go 13-3 and get the No. 1 seed in 2007?
And if Romo is an All Pro with a suspect line, aren't you basically saying without saying that he did it by himself?

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Trivia:

How many teams going into the superbowl with one loss, won the superbowl ??

CCBoy

Reaction score
Irrelevant to the point(which is a good one)

Heck a conference championship game is more than this team has gotten us in a couple decades.

Not a good comparison...as Dallas should have been in two Division Championship games over the past eight seasons. If not for an official's call, the Cowboys would have been there...what, two seasons ago?

Now, back to the excuses...:popcorn:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Romo has had suspect defenses much of his career is the point; making it difficult for the TEAM to be successful.

Bless you, my friend...I won't cross argue a chosen mood without even the support of specifics for a conversation.

For this fan, 'the sky is falling' at the site of a burn barrel doesn't pass muster for more than an attitude.

This team has merit, and fans should learn all of them beyond stereotyping to burn barrel standards.

visionary

Reaction score
Romo has had suspect defenses much of his career is the point; making it difficult for the TEAM to be successful.

I wonder how long it will be after Tony comes in that we start talking about how bad this defense is?

If you don't think that Dak is a big reason why this defense is playing well then youre not watching the games I am