Do any of you guys use this anti robocall feature?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I get a call from a number I don’t know I just silence the phone. If I get a call from the same # twice I block it. Don’t have any problems other than the “your warranty is expired” calls. Where the hell did they come from?
They are everywhere and when they get fired from the auto warranty job, they go to Medicare Supplemental companies.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have tried several free apps to block calls. One, Call Protect, was pretty good. I want an app that lets me block an entire area code or exchange. I get a lot of calls that spoof the area code and exchange to be the same as my own. However, these apps no longer work on my iPhone! I do not have an answer why yet, but apparently with IOS 14 the ability to enable 3rd party call filter apps has been removed. Has anyone else seen this?

If you go under Settings / Phone / Call Blocking and Identification there used to be a list of installed call blocking apps and a slide button to enable or disable them. Now there is a single option called Carrier Call Identification and a slide button to "Silence Junk Callers". There is no control over this. It is on or off. You can still block numbers but you have to use the entire number. No more blocking partial numbers as some apps allow. If this is a permanent feature of the iPhone this will be my last iPhone.

csirl

Reaction score
In most countries in Europe spam calling is illegal. You have to give expressed permission for a commercial caller to call you. Autodialers are also banned. Only ever received one such call - and I complained to the Regulator. Others also did and the company was suspended from having a call centre for 7 months (large company, cost them millions).

Creeper

Reaction score
An update to my previous post. IOS 14.1 caused a problem with the call blocking features on the iPhone. The solution is to delete your 3rd party call blocker app. Shut the phone down and restart it. Then reinstall the call blocker app.

As I said, the Call Protector app, free version, allows you to block individual numbers or ranges of numbers. It has an extensive database of spam number, although it is not perfect. It also has a phone number lookup feature that lets you look up who a phone number belongs to. I am sure other apps are out there that work the the same way.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
An update to my previous post. IOS 14.1 caused a problem with the call blocking features on the iPhone. The solution is to delete your 3rd party call blocker app. Shut the phone down and restart it. Then reinstall the call blocker app.

As I said, the Call Protector app, free version, allows you to block individual numbers or ranges of numbers. It has an extensive database of spam number, although it is not perfect. It also has a phone number lookup feature that lets you look up who a phone number belongs to. I am sure other apps are out there that work the the same way.

This sounds cool. I hope there's an Android version. I do have a kind of super caller ID app on my phone that compares calls with a database and will say "suspected spam" if appropriate.

Creeper

Reaction score
This sounds cool. I hope there's an Android version. I do have a kind of super caller ID app on my phone that compares calls with a database and will say "suspected spam" if appropriate.

That's pretty much what they all do. But there are some feature difference in how you let the app control your phone calls that I like about Call Protect. If you are willing to pay a few dollars a month there are some apps that do even more. There is one app that engages telemarketers in fake conversations to tie them up. It's pretty funny.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's pretty much what they all do. But there are some feature difference in how you let the app control your phone calls that I like about Call Protect. If you are willing to pay a few dollars a month there are some apps that do even more. There is one app that engages telemarketers in fake conversations to tie them up. It's pretty funny.
That's pretty funny!

I was waiting to clock out on Thursday, and I told one of my coworkers my back was killing me from the day before. Suddenly, from my pocket, I hear my phone say, "I'm sorry you're having a bad day!" Had me laughing my butt off.

Sammy

Reaction score
Sometimes when I've called a number the opening message will say, "Press 37" (or some other number) "to prove you're not a robocaller." That seems pretty cool. I might ask my cell provider (Crickett) if they have that. I'm just curious if anyone here has this feature and likes it. Are there any disadvantages to it? I'm just sick of the zillions of stupid robocalls I get all the time. I get them while I'm working my job, and I need to keep my cell phone turned on at work because I'll occasionally text or call a coworker if our main system is down. Busting all the robocall dirtbags would be huge.

The only downside I see to that is that my doctors now use robocallers to confirm appointments. If you always remember your appt then that probably wouldn't affect you. Offhand, I can't think of any other time I've gotten a legitimate robocall.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
That's pretty funny!

I was waiting to clock out on Thursday, and I told one of my coworkers my back was killing me from the day before. Suddenly, from my pocket, I hear my phone say, "I'm sorry you're having a bad day!" Had me laughing my butt off.
That is f'ning awesome! During the game last week I started yelling about one of the bad ref calls and my laptop picked it up, asking if I needed something. I yelled back, "I need a better football team!" It said something along the lines of I can't understand what you're looking for. Of course not, it's only been like 25-30 years.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That is f'ning awesome! During the game last week I started yelling about one of the bad ref calls and my laptop picked it up, asking if I needed something. I yelled back, "I need a better football team!" It said something along the lines of I can't understand what you're looking for. Of course not, it's only been like 25-30 years.
:laugh::laugh: