Do not underestimate the power of "want to"

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When just being a professional athlete is more important than being a champion, this is what you get. Getting paid ruined Zeke, ruined D Law and it will ruin Cooper and Dak.
I don’t agree with you. I think Prescott will be just fine. He’s a football player not a prima donna

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
How did it ruin Dak seeing as though he just got paid? :lmao2:

Dont put Dak in the same category as Zeke the drunk women beater.

Fact is that Zeke just wasnt as good as many thought he was. Dak on the other hand has gotten better and better as the team around him as gotten worse.
I was saying good morning to Joe,, what are you talking about?

Beaker42

Reaction score
No question last year was psychological hit for the defensive players. In addition to all the things you listed Coach, these players were also dealing with the burden of the coronavirus which they had to avoid, but it also cut back on their ability to collaborate as teammates.

And as you said, bringing in Mike Nolan with the big changes to the head space of these guys was a recipe for a defensive collapse. When I listen to Dan Quinn talk, he sounds like a leader. Confidence can cover some mistakes. If he earns these players’ trust and respect, the players’ confidence can return as well.

Confidence feeds “want to”. And vice-versa. This coming season sets up well for many people on this team to capture some redemption. If last year's pitiful performance doesn’t motivate these guys, noth8ng will.
Last season’s D gave me PTSD. I don’t think I’ll believe we have a good D even when we do. It was beyond atrocious and Nolan should’ve been launched by Week 7.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I get a lot of crap in my local News paper and Facebook by people every couple weeks. I can't imagine having millions and millions of people thinking they know your job better than you.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Did you get the feeling, really too many times for me, that some of these players didn't want to take the field?

They were getting maligned during games on TV and after games in the media, they were confused and therefore too hesitant to move quickly and risk further embarrassment.

These guys go home to family and friends and they're normal people with the usual human emotions. Think that didn't play with their heads a little?

They were really leaderless on the field and by their coordinator on defense and just out there.....lost.

Now, the chance arrives to erase all of that with a new coordinator, and one known for being a players' coach, which was part of Buddy Ryan's magic. D players are a different breed and will feed off their guy as long as he's their guy. Last season, they did not have their guy. They didn't have anybody. I don't think we know how really tough that was on players used to being coached by their guy.

"Want to" is going to be all over this team. Beginning with the QB and OL to show they're ready for combat. But that D, that D is really going to be overcharged on "want to" because that bitter taste in their mouths can be made to go away and forgotten because the fact is everyone wants to forget it, just give us a reason to forget it.

"Want to" doesn't increase talent but the opposite can surely nullify it. Last season they lacked belief and justifiably so, so Quinn's first job is to instill that belief and he's already ahead of where Nolan ever was. They believe in him and his system to put them in the best possible position to succeed and they upgraded the talent on top of that. It's a mix of old and new but with the same vision.

It is for this reason that I believe this defense is already better and not just marginally, I think we're going to be surprised in what we see from these guys this year. Lawrence, Gregory, Smith and Vander Esch will be reborn and the sophs like Diggs and Gallimore will take bigger steps and the rooks will get acclimated and into rotation.

That "want to" doesn't just apply to players. This DC is coming off being fired and needs to get back up on that horse and reclaim himself. And the difference between him and Nolan is that he understands the players are his allies in achieving that. He wants to coach them and they want to be coached by him and that's already a lot better than last season.

And me? I "want to" see this defense take the field and I could not say that last season. And I might be selling myself here but I don't care if I am. Feels good to feel this way about the team for a change and I'll take it.
"Like x 10,,,er,,,and an extra 1,000 deleted from @Risen Star stash& transferred to yer's,Too!":thumbup:o_O:thumbup:

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
The biggest problem with the Cowboys is you don’t have to be good to be famous. Jerry does such a great job of keeping the team in the news and relevant (which leads to media attention and the national spotlight) that players don’t have to be great to be noticed. To a degree this takes the edge off of some players. Would Romo be the lead color guy on CBS if he had the same playoff record playing in Buffalo? No. Romo’s record wasn’t entirely his fault but he showed up small in some big games over the years. Beyond the star players though it really impacts the second tier players who get some fame without really having too dig in and become special to get noticed. Jerry’s PR machine makes sure they get noticed. Jerry is just doing what business men do but to a degree it gets in the way of creating a culture committed to being the best. Jerry can sell second best better that anyone else can sell the best.

Kwyn

Reaction score
When just being a professional athlete is more important than being a champion, this is what you get. Getting paid ruined Zeke, ruined D Law and it will ruin Cooper and Dak.

If you think Dak’s made like that you are seriously mistaken. You’re just flat out wrong

D Law hasn’t shown a lack of effort since getting his contract and Askari was great last year

if you want to bag on Zeke, I guess you can go ahead