Do Parcells lead teams have "leaders" or "good soldiers"?

yimyammer

Reaction score
I was thinking about why so many of our players seem to not want to take charge and be the leader of the team and then I got to thinking about how quickly teams that Parcells built fall apart after his departure (not saying we've fallen as much as other teams he's been a part of, but we clearly have issues that I am not sure what the cause of is).

It seems to me that the buck clearly stops with Parcells whenever he is coach or even in whatever he is in Miami. He has an imposing persona and definately makes it clear what is expected and how things are going to work. In other words, he is the leader & general of his teams and everyone knows they are accountable to him and are therefore merely "soldiers" under his command.

When Parcells leaves a team, does he leave a leadership vacuum that none of the players are equipped to fill?

I'm sure I'm overlooking a lot of great players, but the only one that really comes to mind is Lawrence Taylor (but even his team fell off rather quickly after Parcells left).

I'm not trying to start a thread about how good or bad Parcells is and merely want to discuss whether this might be an unforeseen consequence of his departure.

Footnote:

When a person is told exactly what to do and not deviate from a certain course of action or they suffer severe consequences for not obeying, I think that person develops a mentality of dependence upon who tells them what they need to do and think. Once that authoritarion figure is removed, they are not equipped for the type of independent thinking required to continue to survive and thrive on their own. It kind of reminds me of pastors kids I grew up with. Once they got out from under the thumb of their restrictive home life, they went berzerk for a time until they came back full circle and realized why they were taught what they were taught and embraced what they formally resented because of the pain they incurred by deviating from the authoritarion guidance they were raised with.

It's kind of interesting to hear some of the players say they need a tougher hand or quoting Parcells, kind of reminds me of those pastors kids that came full circle

Reaction score
yimyammer;2518606 said:
I was thinking about why so many of our players seem to not want to take charge and be the leader of the team and then I got to thinking about how quickly teams that Parcells built fall apart after his departure (not saying we've fallen as much as other teams he's been a part of, but we clearly have issues that I am not sure what the cause of is).

It seems to me that the buck clearly stops with Parcells whenever he is coach or even in whatever he is in Miami. He has an imposing persona and definately makes it clear what is expected and how things are going to work. In other words, he is the leader & general of his teams and everyone knows they are accountable to him and are therefore merely "soldiers" under his command.

When Parcells leaves a team, does he leave a leadership vacuum that none of the players are equipped to fill?

I'm sure I'm overlooking a lot of great players, but the only one that really comes to mind is Lawrence Taylor (but even his team fell off rather quickly after Parcells left).

I'm not trying to start a thread about how good or bad Parcells is and merely want to discuss whether this might be an unforeseen consequence of his departure.

Parcells had his share of bad guys like Bryan Cox, LT(He was no angle but brought it game day) Terry "she" Glenn.

But Parcells always finds the best in players and knows how to push the right buttons.

There is a reason why BP is a hall of famer.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
yimyammer;2518606 said:

Footnote:

When a person is told exactly what to do and not deviate from a certain course of action or they suffer severe consequences for not obeying, I think that person develops a mentality of dependence upon who tells them what they need to do and think. Once that authoritarion figure is removed, they are not equipped for the type of independent thinking required to continue to survive and thrive on their own. It kind of reminds me of pastors kids I grew up with. Once they got out from under the thumb of their restrictive home life, they went berzerk for a time until they came back full circle and realized why they were taught what they were taught and embraced what they formally resented because of they pain they incurred by deviating from their guidance.

Great post, and its certainly something to think about.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said this team has some issues, yet no one knows the cause of it.

I dont know the cause of it, but I think this theory may have some foundation behind it. It may be part of the problem, but I doubt it is the root.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Parcells is a heck of a coach.

I can't imagine how bad this team would be without him.

But he never turned the reigns loose.

This team is great for having him but Wade has brought complexity to the defense and Jason let the guys play on Offense instead of trying to win every game 10 - 6.

wileedog

Reaction score
yimyammer;2518606 said:

fter Parcells left).

Parcells tends to bring in his own 'leaders' when he gets to a new organization - i.e. the infamous "Parcells Guys." He also sometimes takes them with him when he leaves, which may cause that void he leaves behind.

I don't think it is coincidence the team is having the troubles it is having considering that Parcells raided our coaching staff and got Jason Ferguson in particular from us for a song this offseason.

yimyammer

Reaction score
wileedog;2518652 said:
Parcells tends to bring in his own 'leaders' when he gets to a new organization - i.e. the infamous "Parcells Guys." He also sometimes takes them with him when he leaves, which may cause that void he leaves behind.

I don't think it is coincidence the team is having the troubles it is having considering that Parcells raided our coaching staff and got Jason Ferguson in particular from us for a song this offseason.

Or does he bring in "good soldiers" that already know the drill?

Not saying you're wrong, just a thought......

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I always thought what the OP posted. Parcells was such the authoritarian, and so focused on keeping players from getting overconfident, that I think some players may have wanted to lead, but didn't want to overstep their bounds.

And I don't think this was intentional on Parcells' part. When he was a lot younger and before he'd built such a reputation as a legend -- like at the Giants -- this wasn't a problem. But I do think it happened with us.

Not sure why this is relevant now, though. Wade has said that he definitely wants some players to step up because in the end, it's only the players out on that field, so leadership has to come from within.

wileedog

Reaction score
yimyammer;2518669 said:
Or does he bring in "good soldiers" that already know the drill?

Not saying you're wrong, just a thought......

Both.

Parcells succeeds because he builds a specific attitude in the clubhouse that is contagious. He looks specifically for hard working guys who like nothing but football. He wants that the be the prevailing thought in the locker room, not am I getting enough balls thrown to me.

I would say what he brings in are officers - Sgts. and Lts. They aren't in charge by any means, but they are clearly responsible for helping to execute the General's plan. They are the guys the younger kids look to for guidance on how to approach their job, but not necessarily the one's who need to fire up everyone. That what Bill did best (when it was working).

Terry Glenn was a perfect example. Quiet guy, but nobody worked harder, and he served as a veteran example.

We've seen Bill wasn't the best on draft day or talent scouting - he had his successes and failures here. He wasn't the best X and O guy, no need to rehash that. But what he does better than anyone is build football teams and organizations, whereas all a guy like Jerry does is accumulate high priced talent. There is a difference.

Haley94

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2518617 said:
Parcells had his share of bad guys like Bryan Cox, LT(He was no angle but brought it game day) Terry "she" Glenn.

But Parcells always finds the best in players and knows how to push the right buttons.

There is a reason why BP is a hall of famer.

Fact: Parcells hasn't won a playoff game without Little Bill.

Yeah, he sure pushed the right buttons here in December. Remember this:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29056&season=2006&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&week=REG14

That said, I think he is in a role that suites him now, and i think he is grounded in a philosophy that brings success. He was just done as a coach.

yimyammer

Reaction score
wileedog;2518700 said:
Both.

Parcells succeeds because he builds a specific attitude in the clubhouse that is contagious. He looks specifically for hard working guys who like nothing but football. He wants that the be the prevailing thought in the locker room, not am I getting enough balls thrown to me.

I would say what he brings in are officers - Sgts. and Lts. They aren't in charge by any means, but they are clearly responsible for helping to execute the General's plan. They are the guys the younger kids look to for guidance on how to approach their job, but not necessarily the one's who need to fire up everyone. That what Bill did best (when it was working).

Terry Glenn was a perfect example. Quiet guy, but nobody worked harder, and he served as a veteran example.

We've seen Bill wasn't the best on draft day or talent scouting - he had his successes and failures here. He wasn't the best X and O guy, no need to rehash that. But what he does better than anyone is build football teams and organizations, whereas all a guy like Jerry does is accumulate high priced talent. There is a difference.

Good stuff, I agree and am concerned about what our rookies are seeing and learning from our veterans. Hopefully, they're looking at guys like Witten, Keith Davis, Ware, etc. It really bothered me when Roy Williams said Detroit practices harder than the Cowboys (of course Detroit is 0-15, so maybe that doesn't matter)

I feel like I'm going to get torched for saying this, but I love Parcells and the way he leads and builds teams. I really wish he and Jerry would have been creative and created a similar position here that he now has in Miami. I think we would be set for a very long time

Jerry.........well, I like so many things about him, but the things I don't like I fear are the very things that will keep us from ever obtaining the goal he and everyone wants them to achieve, but that's another topic already thoroughly beaten to death

yimyammer

Reaction score
Haley94;2518705 said:
Fact: Parcells hasn't won a playoff game without Little Bill.

Yeah, he sure pushed the right buttons here in December. Remember this:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29056&season=2006&displayPage=tab_gamecenter&week=REG14

That said, I think he is in a role that suites him now, and i think he is grounded in a philosophy that brings success. He was just done as a coach.

DaBoys4Life;2518723 said:
who gives a flying **** about Parcells he's not here anymore get over him.....

LIKE I SAID:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
yimyammer;2518735 said:
LIKE I SAID:

There aren't any consequences of his departure this team has nothing to do with him anymore.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
yimyammer;2518735 said:
LIKE I SAID:

Good luck with that my man. Not on this forum any way.

wileedog

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2518741 said:
There aren't any consequences of his departure this team has nothing to do with him anymore.

Again, I think the lack of fundamentals, void of accountability and clearly lack of preparation of this current team are completely a consequence of Parcells being gone, raiding our coaching staff and pulling a key player like Ferguson. Plus we lost Glenn too.

Look how well this offense functioned with Sparano involved vs. Garret running the show alone. JG has been clearly out-planned for several weeks now. Romo himself admitted they didn't figure out what the Ravens were doing for 3 quarters. Did that ever happen last year, or the year before?

Don't want to hear his name anymore, don't click on the thread. But this organization is falling apart from within, and a lot of it is because the foundation Parcells built is being slowly ripped out of it.

yimyammer

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2518741 said:

You couldn't be more wrong, there were WITHOUT A DOUBT consequences to his departure.

I'm not saying they were good or bad (who knows?), but there were definately consequences

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog;2518768 said:
Again, I think the lack of fundamentals, void of accountability and clearly lack of preparation of this current team are completely a consequence of Parcells being gone, raiding our coaching staff and pulling a key player like Ferguson. Plus we lost Glenn too.

Look how well this offense functioned with Sparano involved vs. Garret running the show alone. JG has been clearly out-planned for several weeks now. Romo himself admitted they didn't figure out what the Ravens were doing for 3 quarters. Did that ever happen last year, or the year before?

Don't want to hear his name anymore, don't click on the thread. But this organization is falling apart from within, and a lot of it is because the foundation Parcells built is being slowly ripped out of it.

Ratliff > Ferguson. Sparano may have been a big loss it certainly seems that way however, if we win on Sunday we're in the playoffs. We can still make a run at the superbowl. Losing Glenn isn't a lose because we wanted to see what our young guys can do and we got younger by acquiring RW and we can move forward. We have a very talented and very young team with a lot of upset. Rex Ryan made Jason Garrett look stupid..... still some of the growing pains that we're going to be forced to go through.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
yimyammer;2518725 said:
I feel like I'm going to get torched for saying this, but I love Parcells and the way he leads and builds teams. I really wish he and Jerry would have been creative and created a similar position here that he now has in Miami. I think we would be set for a very long time.

You love is unrequited. Jerry wanted Parcells to stay, but he QUIT.

And not only did he quit, he quit after soliciting the NYG GM job only a few weeks before on the morning we had a game against them.

Funny how despite all the doom and disrepair we're supposedly now in, if we win Sunday we'll win as many games as Parcells ever did here.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2518808 said:
You love is unrequited. Jerry wanted Parcells to stay, but he QUIT.

And not only did he quit, he quit after soliciting the NYG GM job only a few weeks before on the morning we had a game against them.

Funny how despite all the doom and disrepair we're supposedly now in, if we win Sunday we'll win as many games as Parcells ever did here.

And we added more talent and some of the young guys have grown into great players. Yup, shoot for the stars.