Do people really believe there is a better option than Dak this year?

dfense

Reaction score
Well Romo was good enough to put up 3 points in elimination games in back to back years in 2008 and 2009. You have to give a QB credit who can avoid being shut out like that. :laugh:
Which again, has nothing to do with Dak.

75boyz

Reaction score
I think it is impossible to field a team and meet the salary cap minimum without overpaying players. If you're not going to overpay your superstars, you're going to be overpaying your JAGs. You can't have a team full of rookie, team friendly, incentive based, vet minimum, and/or one year prove-it deals.

You bring up an interesting point. Overpaying Dak wouldn't be as problematic if they already weren't overpaying for Lawrence and Zeke. You can toss in Jaylon Smith into the equation too and Cooper if they sign him.

The offensive line also has 4 starting player contracts in the top to top 3 range already.
Lawrence and Zeke as the highest paid at their positions.

I liked the suggestion of a Suh and Earl Thomas with the understanding that Thomas's deal would be an upper tier one but not so much Suh.

I thought GB did a good job with the 2 Smith signings to their d-line. Examples of good contract to production output.

These are the type signings you are referring to I think.

Cobb, Quinn and Bennett were excellent based on a pay for production level and their short term contracts, while somewhat costly, were not cost prohibitive based on what the player performed at.

The Kerry Hyders and Covingtons of the world can simply be ruled out. They are throw always not worth the time based on their lack of even part time starter skill level or impact.

Signing every single "we like our guys" to a top end deal is totally uneasonable nor make business sense.

22 starters
53 on active roster

Actual GMs, not board enthusiasts as ourselves, know what FAs are a somewhat reasonable and still effective signing.

I mean, substantiated or not, the rumors are already surfacing of the Rams letting Gurley go.

Remember he was "the starting point"for Zeke negotiations as Stephen put it, and 2 years too early at that.

I thought all this type stuff with these specific examples of knowing which are good and which are over paid contracts are the basis of your 10 or so page discussion with the other guy.

It takes a good GM. It takes a lotta homework and negotiation skills. . But cost effective AND impactful free agents can be had at "decent" prices.

The Cowboys DO NOT hafta overpay just to field a competitive team.

Sigm more Cobb, Quinns and Bennett type deals. Stay away from the DLaws and Zeke type money.

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Good numbers last year, still 8-8 and not one 4 quarter comeback. Yes there are much better QBs out there. You give Dak 37 mill, with what they are paying other also this team won't sniff the SB in the next 5 years.

Yeah let's just ignore that the offense was top 5 in aggregate and efficiency while the defense and special teams ranged from mediocre to bad. Let's post team stats and blame Dak anyway.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yeah let's just ignore that the offense was top 5 in aggregate and efficiency while the defense and special teams ranged from mediocre to bad. Let's post team stats and blame Dak anyway.

So Dak gets the individual credit or implied here for team offense top 5 in aggregate and efficiency while escaping any blame for team lack of success but the whole defensive team and whole Special Teams group are to share in the blame collectively for lack of team success?

I think I get it...

75boyz

Reaction score

I know right? Reminds me of 2017 and that 3 game consecutive stretch of 27-07, Falcons loss, 37-09 Eagles loss and 28-06 Chargers loss.
ONE td in one and ZERO tds in the other two.

Some of the finest Quarterbacking I've witnessed as a 45 year follower.
Oh wait, the anticipatory Left tackle missing, injured/Zeke suspension excuse...

The truly Great Quarterbacks do seem to overcome those obstacles...

Oh wait again...was this post about Romo or Dak?

My bad, lol

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I know right? Reminds me of 2017 and that 3 game consecutive stretch of 27-07, Falcons loss, 37-09 Eagles loss and 28-06 Chargers loss.
ONE td in one and ZERO tds in the other two.

Some of the finest Quarterbacking I've witnessed as a 45 year follower.
Oh wait, the anticipatory Left tackle missing, injured/Zeke suspension excuse...

The truly Great Quarterbacks do seem to overcome those obstacles...

Oh wait again...was this post about Romo or Dak?

My bad, lol
Yeah, at least it was not as bad as CHOKING 3 Game 17s three seasons in a row with the playoffs on the line. Nothing beats that. Worst choke-job in Cowboys history for any QBs franchise QB!

75boyz

Reaction score
Yeah, at least it was not as bad as CHOKING 3 Game 17s three seasons in a row with the playoffs on the line. Nothing beats that. Worst choke-job in Cowboys history for any QBs franchise QB!

I think I might say the 1980-1982 3 consecutive NFC championship game chokes might be "slightly" worse. But then that was probably a "team choke" and not a Danny White Choke.
Same as the game 17s were a Romo choke and not a team choke

I totally get your point.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
3? There you go exposing yourself as a fake bandwagon troll fan who knows nothing about the history of the team.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
3? There you go exposing yourself as a fake bandwagon troll fan who knows nothing about the history of the team.
Yes, numbnuts. Seasons 2011, 2012 and 2013.

From 2011 through 2013 with the NFC East title and playoff berths on the line, the Cowboys lost during Week 17s to the Giants, Commanders and Eagles.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Gotta admit, I had forgotten Romo went on IR and Orton was QB against the Eagles. Nice job man.
I wish I could forget Orton throwing it right to Boykin. Kinda sucked because other than that Orton did a pretty good job as a spot starter.
But it’s a lesson to the America’s Cowboy troll, and every other one like him: don’t question me, troll. I am your better.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So Dak gets the individual credit or implied here for team offense top 5 in aggregate and efficiency while escaping any blame for team lack of success but the whole defensive team and whole Special Teams group are to share in the blame collectively for lack of team success?

I think I get it...

The offense was elite. The defense and special teams were not. It is what it is. If you are intent to assign blame it helps to consider reality.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
No, I said we got into favorable cap position and the team was seemingly afraid to pull the trigger on free agents that could have made the team better. You can feel free to disagree.

I gave a couple of examples like Earl Thomas and Suh. I acknowledged it may or may not have worked out but also recognized not signing them also didn’t work out.

Having great cap space doesn’t matter if you don’t spend it to try and make the team better and simply using it to resign the same players to higher salaries probably isn’t going to push the team over the top.

You seem to feel your preference of how the Cowboys manage their cap is the only way and anyone who disagrees is an “internet GM”.

The Cowboys had the ability to go out and sign free agents. They didn’t and you agree with it. Their way and your way didn’t work.

Are you that out of touch with reality and the truth. THIS IS THE FIRST YEAR THE COWBOYS HAVE REAL CAP SPACE AND FREE AGENCY HASN'T STARTED YET.

Now I addressed one of your big replacement examples already. By the way at that time wasn't when the Cowboys had a big cap space to work with. Thomas a player who the previous THREE season DID NOT play the ENTIRE seasons because of INJURIES. At the time of going into free agency he was entering his 10th season and even many of the talking heads on TV said he MAY be good for teams BUT he also may be a gamble because there were questions that he couldn't stay healthy since he hadn't for THREE straight seasons. Gambling on a now injury prone 10 year vet isn't that smart use of limited cap space. The Cowboys chose to use their limited cap space on resigning the player that lead the Cowboys the past 2 season in sacks instead. Then Suh, who going back to the lions where he started his career and going all the way through the bucs his last team he continually and REPEATEDLY played dirty getting penalties/ kicked out of games/suspensions/and being a locker room problem that cost those team games. When left the lions for the dolphins he signed a 6 year deal but after only 3 years and sliding production but dirty play continue so where he was ejected for chocking a QB, the dolphins said it was enough and cut Suh after the season. The came the year when he was free agent that you're talking about and again most talking heads said that only teams desperate enough to gamble that Suh won't cost games due to his dirty play. Again gambling on a player is not the smartest play by teams. Now the rams did offer Suih a 1 year contract with a 2nd year option but chose not to exercise that option and let him walk. Repeat that with the bucs last season except they just offered a 1 year contract with no option and it sound like they are going to let him walk now too.

So your big choices as real talent improvement are a couple of 10 year vets on their downward side of their careers, one who besides ALL of his on field problems was also a locker room problem, and they either hadn't played entire seasons or were a problem child. They are you big examples of who the Cowboys should have signed opposed to players that actually played well for the Cowboys. Besides not having any kind of understanding of managing the cap, your talent evaluation is very much in question. In other words you played wannabe GM and failed miserably.

75boyz

Reaction score
The offense was elite. The defense and special teams were not. It is what it is. If you are intent to assign blame it helps to consider reality.

And yet the Saints, Pats, Bills, Bears and 2nd Eagles game revealed a somewhat less than elite performance by said offense but I assume that assignment of blame factor for any of those 5 losses may not need apply because the other eleven games produced the more elite total aggregate?
Yet the full 16 game scope of accountability for losses can be applied to both the defense and special teams...?
Is that the reality you speak?
Accountability at its finest...its not just a Jones family thing anymore. It's widespread. It affected fanbases too.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And yet the Saints, Pats, Bills, Bears and 2nd Eagles game revealed a somewhat less than elite performance by said offense but I assume that assignment of blame factor for any of those 5 losses may not need apply because the other eleven games produced the more elite total aggregate?
Yet the full 16 game scope of accountability for losses can be applied to both the defense and special teams...?
Is that the reality you speak?
Accountability at its finest...its not just a Jones family thing anymore. It's widespread. It affected fanbases too.

All teams have their ups and downs. You cannot just say, "there were some bad games!" and that means the offense was less than their standing.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Are you that out of touch with reality and the truth. THIS IS THE FIRST YEAR THE COWBOYS HAVE REAL CAP SPACE AND FREE AGENCY HASN'T STARTED YET.

Now I addressed one of your big replacement examples already. By the way at that time wasn't when the Cowboys had a big cap space to work with. Thomas a player who the previous THREE season DID NOT play the ENTIRE seasons because of INJURIES. At the time of going into free agency he was entering his 10th season and even many of the talking heads on TV said he MAY be good for teams BUT he also may be a gamble because there were questions that he couldn't stay healthy since he hadn't for THREE straight seasons. Gambling on a now injury prone 10 year vet isn't that smart use of limited cap space. The Cowboys chose to use their limited cap space on resigning the player that lead the Cowboys the past 2 season in sacks instead. Then Suh, who going back to the lions where he started his career and going all the way through the bucs his last team he continually and REPEATEDLY played dirty getting penalties/ kicked out of games/suspensions/and being a locker room problem that cost those team games. When left the lions for the dolphins he signed a 6 year deal but after only 3 years and sliding production but dirty play continue so where he was ejected for chocking a QB, the dolphins said it was enough and cut Suh after the season. The came the year when he was free agent that you're talking about and again most talking heads said that only teams desperate enough to gamble that Suh won't cost games due to his dirty play. Again gambling on a player is not the smartest play by teams. Now the rams did offer Suih a 1 year contract with a 2nd year option but chose not to exercise that option and let him walk. Repeat that with the bucs last season except they just offered a 1 year contract with no option and it sound like they are going to let him walk now too.

So your big choices as real talent improvement are a couple of 10 year vets on their downward side of their careers, one who besides ALL of his on field problems was also a locker room problem, and they either hadn't played entire seasons or were a problem child. They are you big examples of who the Cowboys should have signed opposed to players that actually played well for the Cowboys. Besides not having any kind of understanding of managing the cap, your talent evaluation is very much in question. In other words you played wannabe GM and failed miserably.
Lol. They were just 2 examples of who they could have signed. If you had any reading comprehension skills whatsoever you would know that because I also mentioned previously they could have gotten several safeties on the cheap. An example to that would be Honey Badger who had played for the Texans and then Chiefs. But the reality is there is no example that I would give that you wouldn’t do the same thing trash because you are hell bent on thinking the Cowboys made the right moves. But I at least wanted to give you the courtesy of answering your question although I knew exactly why you were doing it.

But you intentionally miss the point or you are too stupid (neither one is good) and go off on rants creating strawman arguments. You act like you understand the cap but you don’t. You are not a pocket protecting nerd, you just a little wuss afraid of the team spending some cap dollars.

Last edited: