Do the Cowboys have the 2nd best roster in the NFC?

CPanther95

Reaction score
Since the Rams, eliminated the Cowboys, and Dallas beat the Saints in the regular season, does this make Dallas the 2nd best team in the NFC?

The Cowboys are young and have cap space to keep top talent on the roster and possibly add a playmaker in the offseason. Dallas has a very bright future.

Meanwhile the Rams, were built through free agency and there window appears to close next Sunday. I see them taking a step or two back next year.

Wouldn't that make them tied with the Commanders and Seahawks in 3rd place behind the Rams and Panthers?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Since the Rams, eliminated the Cowboys, and Dallas beat the Saints in the regular season, does this make Dallas the 2nd best team in the NFC?

The Cowboys are young and have cap space to keep top talent on the roster and possibly add a playmaker in the offseason. Dallas has a very bright future.

Meanwhile the Rams, were built through free agency and there window appears to close next Sunday. I see them taking a step or two back next year.

If we can get the line back healthy and have a great line again, I like this team. Not sure they will be able to beat the Rams. Remains to be seen what they do. If the Rams keep the same team they may be better.

Fire407

Reaction score
Our current roster is good enough to put us in the Super Bowl next year. We need to take care of the coaching situation. I agree with Colin Cowherd about one thing---Sean McVay will get a lot of coaches fired. I just hope one of them is Garrett.

Hardline

Reaction score
Our roster is good enough to lose to the Rams in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

No.

DFWJC

Reaction score

I do like the direction our roster is going.

But that process of elimination logic never works.
I'm sure you must already know that.
Otherwise, teams like Buffalo, etc would have the "best rosters" every year because they beat someone who beat someone who beat someone.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The wildcard is QB.
I'll let everyone else argue about that one.
Or to take that debate out of the equation, ask who has the best rosters barring the QB

Ddisco22

Reaction score

Roster is everything, look at ME for the last several years.

It's what you do with that roster

gmoney112

Reaction score
The roster is pretty good. We were the youngest team in the playoffs, and we have a pretty solid amount of young talent.

Which is kinda why not addressing some of the bigger glaring issues effectively is a little annoying when there are options available. Jaylon/LVE really held down the middle of the field and helped hide some of the issues there, but it's been pretty lackluster for years. Hopefully we do some work addressing that.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Top 5 Roster for sure...

But you could argue that the Rams, Saints, Bears, Eagles, and Vikings (yes vikings) have equal or more talent on their rosters.
I disagree. Dallas has more talent in the defense then every team you named and about the same as the Bears. Our offense has plenty of talent as well and most certainly have more talent on offense then the Bears.

Saints on offense has an aging Brees, Kamara, Ingram and Thomas. While the saints have a deeper RB spot Dallas makes up for it with the OL..... When healthy.

Eagles have Ertz but other than that I wouldn't take anybody else over any of our offensive players. Their defense other than Cox, doesn't really stand out.

Rams have some talent no doubt and maybe this year more talent but not by a ton. Add the fact they have some aging vets but for now I'm willing to say yes to the Rams.....if Kupp is healthy.

Vikings have a terrible over priced QB that has never beat Dak. They have 2 good receivers but so does Dallas. Rudolph at TE is decent but isn't a star. Dallas also has the better RB and it's not even close. Defense has some talent on all 3 levels but I wouldn't say much better than Dallas.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Not that it's a true measure, but how many players did we ultimately end up with in the Pro Bowl?

I haven't looked at who all is set to play. Is it Prescott, Elliott, Cooper, Smith and Martin on offense and Lawrence, Vander Esch and Jones on defense?

That's a fair amount of representation even though Prescott, Cooper and LVE were alternates.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
We have very good, almost elite, and elite players in almost all of the skill positions.

O Line - Martin, TFred (when healthy), Smith
RB - Zeke
WR - Cooper

D Line - Dlaw, Gregory
LB - LVE, Lee, Smith
DB - Jones

Those are all top 10-15 guys at their respective positions.

I’m sorry but a competent OC could really turn this offense around like how the defense surprised us this year. This is a legit roster.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Coaching is what empowers a roster. Talent alone doesn’t win championships.

Barry Switzer is the lone exception I can think of in the last 25 years where great coaching wasn’t the key to winning a SB. But those mid 90s Cowboys teams had a huge talent advantage that since the salary cap is almost impossible to have.
Yea but the NFL is still talent driven.

Great coaching can only elevate so far without the talent and why Jimmy struggled in Miami duplicating his brilliance and Parcells here compared to NY. The list and examples go on with few exceptions.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dallas has a better roster than both teams in the Super Bowl except at QB.
That’s a big part of it.

But I like the Rams receiving Corp and DL . Donald and Suh are a force . We’re still a little weak up the middle on DL.

I definitely agree an elite QB potentially could elevate us to a Final 4 team. Or at least a more serious contender.

Patriots are definitely Brady and the 2nd stringers. Lol

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

5th best.
Cowboys overachieve but the Saints, Rams, Eagles, Bears and 49ers have better skill players over all. Aside from the Rams and Saints, the other three teams underachieved but will be better in 2019.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys roster is better than the Rams roster.

The Rams coaching staff is Much better than the Cowboys coaching staff...

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Except we swept them.

I am confused Idgit. You liked the OP's post that we have the 2nd best roster in the NFC, but yet you constantly tell me that Garrett should not be held accountable for lack of playoff success because our talent level is not that good.

In fact, I think your exact words in another posts were "we are a good organization at talent acquisition, but not great, and that is why the results have been good, but not great".

But now you seem to think this roster is top 2?

Then shouldn't this coaching staff have more results to show for it?