Do we even need a top 5 defense with Dak leading the offense?

Skillit

Reaction score
How is that even a question? We’ve already lost games scoring 35 points.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
We not having much success since Moore has turned this into a pass happy team with a poor running scheme. I hope we can sign Dak to a friendly cap deal but The most success we’ve had with Dak has been when he was throwing the least. I haven’t been impressed with Moore when we go against above average defenses

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don’t disagree fully but still not sure about the O against top D but the DC D at this point is trash. Looks like this year is toast and hopefully it gets a lot better next year on both sides of the ball. It should be real interesting to see what Jerry does this off season and the draft position and if they get a new defensive coordinator

Well the Rams D looks like a top 5 D and they slowed us down. Thats what good D's do. But give me a healthy Oline and not our first game of the year and Lamb not in his first game and lets see what we can do.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
I am so happy when our cornerbacks and safeties get burnt time after time..Jerrah doesn't believe in drafting these positions very highly..
So enjoy your Toast.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Dak and a healthy offense having the capability to put up 37 points a game, could we be a contender with an average defense? Is Jerry capable? How many drafts would it take to improve the defense enough to make us a true contender?

OMG, the draft fantasy again?????:muttley:
Sure taking into consideration how well Jerry does on Drafts:confused: and the fact that a new Prescott 35+million deal will leave us peanuts for a Cap you're describing a fantasy scenario at its finest!
Happy Trails to Prescott and patience for us as another rebuild is here!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Chiefs had the best D in the league for the last 6 games of last season, and won the super bowl due to a great D performance, especially from Chris Jones. This "average" D was the true MVP of the super bowl.

I don't know about this take KSK!! The Chiefs defense closed out the regular season nicely but gave up 31, 24 and 20 in the playoffs.. Not exactly a run akin to the '85 Bears. They might just have benefited from some bad QB play in those last six games. And frankly if Shanahan doesn't lose his ***** mind and go away from the running game that was shredding the Chiefs the Niners probably win that game by at least 10 points. Lettting Jimmy G. throw it and turn the ball over was the only way the Niners could lose.. so that's exactly what they did.. Apparently Shanahan was trying to prove he was right not to just hand the ball off the rest of the way after going up 28-3 late in the game against the Patriots. I think they could have knelt down every snap from that point forward and New England would not have had enough time to tie the game up. The ONLY way to lose was to have Ryan throw it and turn it over.. So that's exactly what they did.. Idiots..

kumizi

Reaction score
By the time they fix the defense, Tyron and Zach will be looking to retire. Then everyone will say we just need to fix the O-line. And the cycle continues.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
OMG, the draft fantasy again?????:muttley:
Sure taking into consideration how well Jerry does on Drafts:confused: and the fact that a new Prescott 35+million deal will leave us peanuts for a Cap you're describing a fantasy scenario at its finest!
Happy Trails to Prescott and patience for us as another rebuild is here!

How exactly are you advocating getting the QB whose picture you keep posting? Invite his parents over for tea and convince them to make him declare that he will ONLY play for the Cowboys? That way nobody drafts him and we can pick him up for nothing like we did La'el? Wait.. that's got to be your plan. Have Lawrence's girlfriend murdered.. finger him for it.. have him slip through the entire draft then after he signs with the Cowboys have it come out that he had nothing to do with it.. You're a genius!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I am so happy when our cornerbacks and safeties get burnt time after time..Jerrah doesn't believe in drafting these positions very highly..
So enjoy your Toast.

Newman, Jenkins, Claiborne and Byron were all first round picks.. Chido and Diggs were second rounders.. That seems pretty high to me.. So I'm not sure where you get this take. It's safety they don't place a high value on.. They have spent plenty of high picks on corners.

thechosen1n2

Reaction score
The last 25+ years of superbowl champions indicate a different story. Now I'm not saying its not possible however does not make for a bold strategy. Most finish within top 10 of both offense and defense

98 Broncos 2(o) 13(d)
09 Saints 2(o) 16(d)
11 giants 9(o) 24(d)

00 ravens, 02 bucs, 03 Patriots, 08 steelers, 15 Broncos all had medicore to bad offenses(16+) but had either all number one or two defense in football

NFL has changed. The best Defenses give 18 to 24 points per game.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How exactly are you advocating getting the QB whose picture you keep posting? Invite his parents over for tea and convince them to make him declare that he will ONLY play for the Cowboys? That way nobody drafts him and we can pick him up for nothing like we did La'el? Wait.. that's got to be your plan. Have Lawrence's girlfriend murdered.. finger him for it.. have him slip through the entire draft then after he signs with the Cowboys have it come out that he had nothing to do with it.. You're a genius!

The photo simply confirms what directions we should and will go in all likelihood come the draft.
Now if its Lawrence, Fields, Lance, etc is 2nd on the menu.
I highly advise you to start getting used to the fact that Prescott has played his last snap as a Cowboy for many reasons we are all aware of unless like yourself one is Dak-Blind!

Redline360

Reaction score
NFL has changed. The best Defenses give 18 to 24 points per game.

Yes as the league has slowly turned into an offensive game putting up huge numbers however defense is still a major contributing factor to playoff / superbowl caliber teams.

You may be able to get away with a medicore / good defense however they need make stops at the right time. Turnovers would also be a major point in this conversation. Dallas has neither a good defense or one that gets turnovers.

It's damn near impossible to go deep into the playoffs with a defense that does not get turnovers.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
If you didn't read my post, I said the game has changed, but not in the terms you want to use to edit the record books. So instead of trying to tell me what I'm trying to say you should consider what you are saying...let's REALLY be real

Jim Brown, Tony Dorsett, Gale Sayers were part of the NFL
Don Meredith threw passes to Bob Hayes
Mike Ditka was a TE and became HC who won the Super Bowl in 1985......

Now you........you...look in the mirror and ask yourself.....How do I want to tell these guys none of that happened? All that was before the magic 2015 year I chose for records to count from that point forward?

You want to call Terry Bradshaw and tell him he didn't win 4 SBs because nothing before 2015 counts?
You don't have the balls to tell an old man like Jim Brown, "Sorry sucker your records don't count!"
Hey Michael Irving who are you to think you have anything to tell the new guys who came after the magic 2015 year? You ain't done nothing in this league.
Dare ya to find him and tell him that to his face.
And call the Cowboy offices and Jerry he's nobody since he hasn't won a Super Bowl since the magic 2015 year.

That said, there are times when setting certain limits or situations, conditions, or criteria we DO omit, gloss over, or discount records or achievements that do not meet what we are looking for.
A good example is when I was challenged after saying QBs are better prepared to play in the NFL. If you take the time to look 18 starting QBs in the NFL this year have less than 5 years in the league. Unfortunately, winning a Super Bowl is winning a Super Bowl whether its I, or XX, XLVIII.

Maybe the problem with having history and records, and achievements is people pretend nothing happened before they were born.
But believe me, there was an NFL and some GREAT TEAMS and PLAYERS before you were born and before I was born.
Their records and achievements can't be thrown away just because we've changed terminology, rules, schemes, and whatever else you want to include.

Now I'm putting it all on your shoulder to go tell everybody who did anything before 2015 that their records do not count.
I'll patiently wait for ESPN, and Pro Football reference, and the NFL to comply with your request.

Oh, and "if you choose to accept this mission, Mr. Phelps," we will NOT be responsible for any hospital bills that may result from your insistence that you have the power to designate which records count and which do not. Good Luck Mr. Phelps!

It's the height of ridiculousness that some folks seem to think that the great players of yesteryear could not play in this kinder gentler NFL. Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw, Steve Young and even our own Troy Aikman would have all played another 5 years had defenders not been able to hit them like they can't do now. Receivers who had incredible hands back then and who could make amazing catches WITHOUT the benefit of the sticky gloves would catch everything thrown in their zip code today. Especially since DBs can't touch them past 5 yards. There isn't a DB in the game who could keep up with Bob Hayes even today if they couldn't put their hands on him to try and slow him down and redirect him. Bullet Bob would probably catch 20 TDs a year in today's NFL. There is no double team for a guy who can run 30 mph. People need to understand that greatness is greatness. Sure when it's all said and done all the offensive records will come from this era forward. Between the softening rule changes and the lack of continuity on defense resulting from the cap and free agency it's nigh impossible to field an actual "good" defense these days. But it's all relative. I try to appreciate the game in the context of the current era. It's hard because I love the running game and good defense every bit as much as high flying passing attacks. But the fantasy football geeks will only watch if the score is 47-45. So the game is trending toward the "Madden" generation. I used to get Sunday Ticket back when I lived in the Bay Area so I could watch the Cowboys.. I would also watch bits and pieces of all the other games when the Cowboy game was on commercial. Now I just watch the Cowboys.. No Monday night football, no Thursday night football.. No other games but the Cowboys.. and needless to say those have been hard to watch the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately I have no expectation that that will change this year.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The photo simply confirms what directions we should and will go in all likelihood come the draft.
I highly advise you to start getting used to the fact that Prescott has played his last snap as a Cowboy for many reasons we are all aware of unless like yourself one is Dak-Blind!

So when other people cite the draft as the path to fixing what ails this team it's "draft fantasy" but when YOU do it it's "confirmation of what directions we should go.." Okay.. got it..

I'm going to enjoy rubbing your face in it when Dak retires after 15 years as our QB and is the all time franchise leader in every passing category. I'll send you a nice bottle of Johnny so you can drown your sorrows..

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
lol...Dak...

just cannot get over it, huh? Dak...please come home, please! I love you Dak...

got tears in my eyes...Dak, HELP ME! Dak...I can't sleep...I need you Dak, oh Dear Lord...Dak!!!!!!!

how embarrassing

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So when other people cite the draft as the path to fixing what ails this team it's "draft fantasy" but when YOU do it it's "confirmation of what directions we should go.." Okay.. got it..

I'm going to enjoy rubbing your face in it when Dak retires after 15 years as our QB and is the all time franchise leader in every passing category. I'll send you a nice bottle of Johnny so you can drown your sorrows..

I'd prefer this but make it a dozen bottles for every year Dak sucks it up for us!
20200215210930_6845231b.jpeg

garyo1954

Reaction score

You're really hurting some feelings saying Dak-aroos are going to have to buy new gameday under drawers.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s not about the raw defensive numbers.

it’s about turnovers.

give me a top 5 offense and a defense that is top 10 in forcing turnovers...... which leads to even more points.

that can definitely win a super bowl.

I don’t care if the defense gives up a bunch of yards if they’re turning the ball over regularly. To be honest.