Do we have enough bodies for a 53 man roster?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
PLAYER GRADES (Based on what we know so far):
  • GREEN (Makes 53 man roster)= PROVEN STARTER OR BACKUP, OR TEAM INVESTED TOO MUCH IN DRAFT TO LET GO ("WE LIKE OUR GUYS")
  • ORANGE (Makes 53 man roster)= QUESTIONABLE STARTER OR BACKUP
  • RED (Cut or practice squad bound) = HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE STARTER OR BACKUP, CAREER PRACTICE SQUAD TYPES

SNAPSHOT:
  • 53 players active roster, only 46 can suit up Sunday
    • Cowboys have 45 players who will probably make 53 man roster (green and orange)
    • That means Cowboys have 8 spots up for grab from practice squad players (red) OR this year's new draft picks and UDFAs
      • Almost guarantee a draft pick at RB, OT, DT and LB based on current depth and what they usually keep at position, see below.
** Until someone issues a final statement, I'm assuming Tyler Smith is playing OG.
** With Zimm, we may end up keeping more LBs and less Safeties compared to DQ.
** Apologies if made mistake on Practice Squad players. Tough to find updates.

POSITION53 MAN QTY KEEP?HOW MANY PLAYERS MOST LIKELY TO MAKE 53? (Green and Orange?)PLAYERSPLAYERSPLAYERSPLAYERSPLAYERSPLAYERSPLAYERS
QB2-33DakTrey Lance Cooper Rush
RB3-42Rico DowdleHunter LeupkeDeuceMalik DavisSnoop Conner
TE3-44FergySchoonHendershotStephens (based on last year before ACL)Princeton Fant
WR5?5CeeDeeCooksTolbertTurpinJalen BrooksDavid DurdenMartavis Bryant
OT4-53SteeleBallRichardsDakota ShepleyMatt WaletzkoEarl Bostick Jr.
G/C4-54TylerZackHoffmanBass
DE5-65MicahTankSam WilliamsGolstonFehokoTyrus WheatDurrell Johnson
DT3-52OsaMaziCarl Davis Jr
LB4-5 (Bell could be counted as LB)3KendricksClarkeOvershownBuddy Johnson
S4-55HookerWilsonBellThomasMukuamuSheldrick Redwine
CB5-66 (Goodwin doesn't really count as CB, more ST player)DiggsBlandLewisGoodwinWrightScottJosh Butler
ST33AngerAubreySieg

Last edited:

FLWarpigrpig

Reaction score
Cowboys should have their pick of UDFA's at many positions this year. They tend to go where they might have a chance to make the roster.

jujoboys

Reaction score
All the draft picks usually make the roster the 1st year so that gives you 7 in addition to the players we already have. 1 or 2 UDFA could make the team. They will probably add veterans after the draft when teams start cutting players after the draft or trading them. Of course the veterans will be added after they no longer affect comp picks and they will most likely be low cost/cheap veterans.

JBS

Reaction score
One guy says 10-15 years of sub 500 football is on its way. Another guy says we won’t even have enough players to complete a roster

Times are rough around here

Kingofholland

Reaction score
PLAYER GRADES (Based on what we know so far):
  • GREEN (Makes 53 man roster)= PROVEN STARTER OR BACKUP, OR TEAM INVESTED TOO MUCH IN DRAFT TO LET GO ("WE LIKE OUR GUYS")
  • ORANGE (Makes 53 man roster)= QUESTIONABLE STARTER OR BACKUP
  • RED (Cut or practice squad bound) = HIGHLY QUESTIONABLE STARTER OR BACKUP, CAREER PRACTICE SQUAD TYPES

SNAPSHOT:
  • 53 players active roster, only 46 can suit up Sunday
    • Cowboys have 45 players who will probably make 53 man roster (green and orange)
    • That means Cowboys have 8 spots up for grab from practice squad players (red) ORthis year's new draft picks and UDFAs
      • Almost guarantee a draft pick at RB, OT, DT and LB based on current depth and what they usually keep at position, see below.
** Until someone issues a final statement, I'm assuming Tyler Smith is playing OG.
** With Zimm, we may end up keeping more LBs and less Safeties compared to DQ.
** Apologies if made mistake on Practice Squad players. Tough to find updates.

POSITION53 MAN QTY KEEP?HOW MANY PLAYERS MOST LIKELY TO MAKE 53? (Green and Orange?)PLAYERSPLAYERSPLAYERSPLAYERSPLAYERSPLAYERSPLAYERS
QB2-33DakTrey Lance Cooper Rush
RB3-42Rico DowdleHunter LeupkeDeuceMalik DavisSnoop Conner
TE3-44FergySchoonHendershotStephens (based on last year before ACL)Princeton Fant
WR5?5CeeDeeCooksTolbertTurpinJalen BrooksDavid DurdenMartavis Bryant
OT4-53SteeleBallRichardsDakota ShepleyMatt WaletzkoEarl Bostick Jr.
G/C4-54TylerZackHoffmanBass
DE5-65MicahTankSam WilliamsGolstonFehokoTyrus WheatDurrell Johnson
DT3-52OsaMaziCarl Davis Jr
LB4-5 (Bell could be counted as LB)3KendricksClarkeOvershownBuddy Johnson
S4-55HookerWilsonBellThomasMukuamuSheldrick Redwine
CB5-66 (Goodwin doesn't really count as CB, more ST player)DiggsBlandLewisGoodwinWrightScottJosh Butler
ST33AngerAubreySieg
Definitely makes the draft priorty clear.

-Heavy on the oline (Prob. need 2 in the first 4 rounds) The good news is this is a strong OT class.
-RB is a huge need and this isn't supposed to be a strong class. Will likely need to go for 1 in the 2nd or 3rd round for a better chance at someone that can contribute.
-DT there's a few guys on the roster with position flex to play here. Have to hope Mazi makes a big year 2 leap, but they really need to add some talent here. I was hoping we would add a DT in free agency.
-LB there's probably 3 that look promising in the draft. The Cowboys may be ok with Kendricks, Clarke, and Overshown but they really could use a gap filling game wrecker.

-Then there's some serious depth needs at CB, WR, and DE. I don't have much confidence with the corners beyond Lewis, would love for the Cowboys to sign a veteran corner to relieve some pressure on this position. At DE have to find rotational guys to fill spots for Armstrong and Fowler. I presume Parsons and Williams will be the primary RDEs. This is a strong WR class, would love to have one on day 2, but there's likely too many other needs.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score

-Heavy on the oline (Prob. need 2 in the first 4 rounds) The good news is this is a strong OT class.
-RB is a huge need and this isn't supposed to be a strong class. Will likely need to go for 1 in the 2nd or 3rd round for a better chance at someone that can contribute.
-DT there's a few guys on the roster with position flex to play here. Have to hope Mazi makes a big year 2 leap, but they really need to add some talent here. I was hoping we would add a DT in gree agency.
-LB there's probably 3 that look promising in the draft. The Cowboys may be ok with Kendricks, Clarke, and Overshown but they really could use a gap filling game wrecker.

-Then there's some serious depth needs at CB, WR, and DE. I don't have much confidence with the corners beyond Lewis, would love for the Cowboys to sign a veteran corner to relieve some pressure on this position. At DE have to find rotational guys to fill spots for Armstrong and Fowler. I presume Parsons and Williams will be the primary RDEs. This is a strong WR class, would love to have one on day 2, but there's likely too many other needs.
Looks like they will be pretty good with the good players that they do have. They probably will hit on some of the new players that they bring in and hopefully they have some of the young players step up.

Aven8

Reaction score
UDFA city USA this year.

Might find us a Tony Romo or Miles Austin…

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
One guy says 10-15 years of sub 500 football is on its way. Another guy says we won’t even have enough players to complete a roster

Times are rough around here
Well, Jerry did say we have to do less with more. Think of the cash Cap Boy could save if we only had 33 guys on the team!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

-DT there's a few guys on the roster with position flex to play here. Have to hope Mazi makes a big year 2 leap, but they really need to add some talent here. I was hoping we would add a DT in free agency.

Good assessment.

I hadn’t read on it yet. Did not realize this was a running back weak draft. That’s not good.

Assuming BPA and good picks, I would like to see something like…

3 high draft picks - RB, OT, DT
3 lower picks - CB, RB, DE
UDFA - LB, RB, QB, WR, CB, DE, DT, OG/C x2

The one that worries me is quarterback. If Trey Lance is a Baller in training camp, Dak might already be gone, but assuming they let Dak go next year and that Lance doesn’t improve much.… We don’t have a QB ready to go and next year’s pick might not be high enough for a franchise one. There are too many needs, though on the current roster to afford a quarterback right now in the draft, and it looks like teams are going to go quick and fast on the first round quarterbacks, so I doubt there will be much left.

I know a lot of people want center, and I wouldn’t have a cow if the team drafted JPJ. But looking more in the mocks that an OT will fall to our pick and would be great if could make it work with Tyler staying at G, Richards for OT depth, Bass/Hoffman taking center and Zack’s spot. Martin had bad luck injuries all year but I doubt the Cowboys pay that higher holdout salary past this season.