Do we have the "right" offensive scheme for Lance

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know Lance hasn't shown much in terms of play, but in terms of intangibles, is this offense built for him to be successful. Seeing him play, it seems as if they want him to stay in the pocket and be a pocket passer. He has a huge arm, I think it's been pointed out since the draft. Has he made use of it, no to be honest. When you see him taking off to run, I think he's better suited for a scheme that he can utilize his legs as his best asset. Now is being a pocket passer a bad thing, hell no! Some are good at being pocket passers, and some aren't.

Are we trying to make him a pocket passer is a question to think of, please give your thoughts on this!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The right scheme is irrelevant in Trey Lance's case at this time. He was coached by an 'offensive guru', Kyle Shanahan, in San Francisco. He is currently being coached by another 'offensive guru' in Mike McCarthy. He will struggle transitioning between different coaching philosophies but it is on him to ultimately adapt and fly unaided based upon his determination, intelligence and skills. And the clock is ticking for him.

75boyz

Reaction score
No. Not in my opinion.

I think the more effective use of Lance would be to use him in similar past RPO offenses like those of RGIII or Kaepernick. Or more recent run first offensive versions of Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts.

Just like with how Jackson and Hurts developed, McCarthy should use his best traits as a runner first while slowly developing his ability to be an effective NFL passer.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
No. Not in my opinion.

I think the more effective use of Lance would be to use him in similar past RPO offenses like those of RGIII or Kaepernick. Or more recent run first offensive versions of Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts.

Just like with how Jackson and Hurts developed, McCarthy should use his best traits as a runner first while slowly developing his ability to be an effective NFL passer.
Perhaps if Jerry Jones would extend McCarthy’s contract he could have some patience developing Lance. As it is McCarthy is going to have to go with his best chance of having a good season because he knows he is looking for a new contract for 2025. Lance does not see the field in the regular season. Lance, Prescott and McCarthy are all leaving the Cowboys after this season and I think they all know it.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No. Not in my opinion.

perfectly said

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There is no "right" scheme in the NFL right now because he's too slow in everything he does.

Shanahan has the easiest system in the league for a QB, and he couldn't pull it off.
A scheme that's RIGHT for his abilities

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
A scheme that's RIGHT for his abilities
That scheme does not exist because he doesn't have NFL processing ability as of now.

That RPO stuff doesn't work in the NFL - and he's not an athlete like Lamar or even Josh Allen to have even short-term success with it.

rags747

Reaction score
There is no "right" scheme in the NFL right now because he's too slow in everything he does.

Shanahan has the easiest system in the league for a QB, and he couldn't pull it off.
Probably why he has won Nothing just like us.

doomsday9084

Reaction score

+1. You need to have a wide enough skillset to keep teams honest for a system to work. If you have a QB who can only do a few things then teams will just sit on them during a game that matters. Someone can draw up an ultra simple system that only goes to what Trey does but as soon as an NFL team actually tries to stop it using film, they will.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That scheme does not exist because he doesn't have NFL processing ability as of now.

That RPO stuff doesn't work in the NFL - and he's not an athlete like Lamar or even Josh Allen to have even short-term success with it.
We have a guy here now that has problems with processing

exciter

Reaction score
I know Lance hasn't shown much in terms of play, but in terms of intangibles, is this offense built for him to be successful. Seeing him play, it seems as if they want him to stay in the pocket and be a pocket passer. He has a huge arm, I think it's been pointed out since the draft. Has he made use of it, no to be honest. When you see him taking off to run, I think he's better suited for a scheme that he can utilize his legs as his best asset. Now is being a pocket passer a bad thing, hell no! Some are good at being pocket passers, and some aren't.

Are we trying to make him a pocket passer is a question to think of, please give your thoughts on this!
Shanahan has one of the most QB friendly schemes in the league and yet he gave up on him after 2 seasons “even after saying he specifically targeted Lance in part because of his running ability”. Lance couldn’t even beat out Sam Darnold last season. No amount of running is going to negate Lance has no concept or feel for how to play QB in this league. He lacks the ability to anticipate when the receiver will come open. He’s relegated to having to wait until the receiver comes open, then zipping the ball into him with way to much velocity and no
touch before that open window closes, leading to the propensity for high passes and drops. After Sunday, along with his time in San Fran it should be readily apparent if he has a future as a player in football then it’s flag football!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NO.

The offense is built for Dak.

Clearly, Dak is a different kind of QB than Lance.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

wait what? how many offensive systems does he need? SF wasn't righ tfor him. he is in Dallas and now Dallas is not right for him. in the meantime other QBs adjust!!! its WRs running routes, same routes as anybody else. there is no new route invention. make the dang throws...but he can't.

calicowboy54

Reaction score

scheme is irrelevant if you have 0% accuracy. unless you want to run rpo 99% of the time.

rambo2

Reaction score

Lance is our 3rd string qb.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Lol!! Change the offense for a backup, first round bust! ****** man!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So it's the pre season right? We're running VANILLA plays, it takes 3 years for these coaches to sprinkle in some plays that could help him possibly even look good in the pre season???