Do we make a difference?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Hilarious.

I bet you had no problem when Romo demanded top pay, which he received TWICE.

ROMO WENT HOLLYWOOD right after his first year starting in 2006. He would be caught partying in Los Angeles on Tuesdays (off day) during the Regular Season, and he's the only Cowboys QB to go to Cabo DURING THE PLAYOFFS, only to lose leading the team for that playoff game. Then says afterwards that he was not worried about "perception". Said that if his career suddenly ended, he would be happy he accomplished as much as he did. Had very good ability but always came up short when it mattered most. Partied too much and seeked the limelight during his early and healthy years. By the time he settled down and took things much more seriously, his body was already breaking down. Romo had some big performances throughout his career but would come up short when it mattered most many times. Seeked and enjoyed the limelight before accomplishing anything on the field.

You don't see Dak going Hollywood or pulling early career limelight stunts like Romo did, yet Dak has helped lead the team to more wins during his first 4 years than any QB in Cowboys history. That's not including the many team accomplishments he's already achieved during his early 4 year career and is on pace to break most (if not all) of Romo's franchise leading records. All while staying focused, increasing his offseason training while improving his performance on the field every year, leading most QBs in stats every year and trying to stay away from the limelight ...... But Dak is the wrong guy for this team because he wants top QB pay that he's earned? Pfft.

Ya see?

This is why you shouldn't.

leeblair

Reaction score
How many of you that work yourself up on either side of the Dak contract discussion really think it makes a difference? I hate Garrett and I was not shy about, even got benched a handful of times because of it. I saw it as fun banter and just used it to mess around. I think most of us here do the same with Dak. Will anyone step up and say that that they will renounce their fan hood if we sign or dont sign Dak? Any hardcore?
If they sign Dak to a high dollar contract after forcing Garrett's incompetence on us for 13 years, I am likely done.
I am barely hanging on as it is, disgusted and sick of what the organization has become.
I'm not against paying Dak for one year to let him prove himself, but he IS NOT worth being paid like an elite quarterback, yet.
I doubt he will become one, but he should get at least one year under McCarthy and deserves to be paid something more than he was paid for his first four years.
But statistics don't win Super Bowls, and he hasn't shown he can lead.
If Jerry and Stephen mortgage the Cowboys future on him, it will pretty much assure us that the same incompetence that kept Garrett at the helm is here to stay.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Stats help you win fantasy sports leagues. I care about post-season wins.

If Dak can lead the team to the championship game or Super Bowl, I am all for paying him $30+ million per year.

Until then, he's simply a quarterback coming off an 8-8 year who has one playoff win in 4 years.

Just so you know, I was one of the first people here to say Dak was a special player when we drafted him and he was going to be third on the depth chart.

I like him as a person and player and I am perfectly fine with him being the Cowboys quarterback, just not at $30+ million per year at least not yet.

If he can get the Cowboys to the championship game or the Super Bowl, then it would be much easier to justify.

See how many QBs have won SBs with the worst starting field position in the league and a defense in the bottom ten in takeaways. It won't take long.

Both of Dak's playoff losses occurred when the opponent scored 30+ points. No Cowboys QB has ever won a playoff game when that happened.

Do I want to see Dak made the highest paid QB? No way. But I'm also not going to hold him to ridiculous standards.

It reminds me of people blaming Romo for losing a game 51-48 when he threw six TD passes. The rest of the team has to carry their share of the load.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
See how many QBs have won SBs with the worst starting field position in the league and a defense in the bottom ten in takeaways. It won't take long.

Both of Dak's playoff losses occurred when the opponent scored 30+ points. No Cowboys QB has ever won a playoff game when that happened.

Do I want to see Dak made the highest paid QB? No way. But I'm also not going to hold him to ridiculous standards.

It reminds me of people blaming Romo for losing a game 51-48 when he threw six TD passes. The rest of the team has to carry their share of the load.
After 25 years, all I care about is results, not excuses, justified or not.

Romo had bad defenses. Romo had bad coaching. Romo got injured repeatedly. None of it matters. At the end of the day Romo will be more known as a sports commentator than as a quarterback.

All of the people who defend Dak (who I actually like) by bashing Romo are completely lost on the point that many Cowboys fans are tired of paying players huge contracts and getting no results. Stats? Yes .. lots of stats everywhere. Results? No.

If Dak leads the team to a Championship or Super Bowl game, he earns that big pay day. Until then, he's coming off an 8-8 year and only has one playoff win in his career.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think the funny thing to me is when a player someone likes gets picked on, rather than defend them they immediately start attacking another irrelevant current or former player.

If you love Dez and someone hurts your feelings with their opinions then you must insult Witten because ALL people who do not want Dez re-signed obviously love Witten, a player who plays for another team now.

If you love Dak and someone hurts your feelings with their opinions then you must insult Romo because ALL people who do not want to pay Dak $35+ million per year obviously hate him and love Romo, a guy who has been out of the NFL for 3+ years.

As I have said many times, I will support and root for whoever is on the team when the games start regardless of how much they are paid.
Hear hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GMO415

Reaction score
Hardcore over something I can't control? Sounds like wasted calories. I've got grown shhhh to be hardcore about.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they sign Dak to a high dollar contract after forcing Garrett's incompetence on us for 13 years, I am likely done.
I am barely hanging on as it is, disgusted and sick of what the organization has become.
I'm not against paying Dak for one year to let him prove himself, but he IS NOT worth being paid like an elite quarterback, yet.
I doubt he will become one, but he should get at least one year under McCarthy and deserves to be paid something more than he was paid for his first four years.
But statistics don't win Super Bowls, and he hasn't shown he can lead.
If Jerry and Stephen mortgage the Cowboys future on him, it will pretty much assure us that the same incompetence that kept Garrett at the helm is here to stay.

Man I can't wait until they sign Dak now. I was, let him play on the tag, see how he does.
So once he signs, we don't have to see your crappy posts and threads about him anymore. :lmao:

Jerry get it done today! :muttley:

kskboys

Reaction score
I mean you say that jokingly but go look at the ppl that dont want Dak to get paid and look at their romo stance. Ppl that cheer for the cowboys want dak to get paid because he was our best player in 2019 and he gives us the best chance to win currently.
Incredibly off target.

I liked Romo. I like Dak. And that is how most posters feel.

Our best player last season was prolly Zack Martin.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
After 25 years, all I care about is results, not excuses, justified or not.

Romo had bad defenses. Romo had bad coaching. Romo got injured repeatedly. None of it matters. At the end of the day Romo will be more known as a sports commentator than as a quarterback.

All of the people who defend Dak (who I actually like) by bashing Romo are completely lost on the point that many Cowboys fans are tired of paying players huge contracts and getting no results. Stats? Yes .. lots of stats everywhere. Results? No.

If Dak leads the team to a Championship or Super Bowl game, he earns that big pay day. Until then, he's coming off an 8-8 year and only has one playoff win in his career.

However the nature of the NFL precludes these types of scenarios.

It's simply being unrealistic to say that Dak, or any QB that finds themselves in a similar situation, would sign the type of contract that you are suggesting.

The QB contract market is set by a number of factors that essentially make it impossible to pay players that have the service time and statistics that Dak, Wentz, Goff have, to anything less than the contracts they have and will receive.

The only alternative is jettisoning your QB and running with the likes of Dalton, Flacco, Newton or comparable players.

Good luck with that.

Owners aren't paying these big salaries just because they personally like their guys, they're doing so because they have looked at all the options and realize that the guy they have is their best option.

The threads on here by the same gumbies constantly talking nonsense about trading up for Joe Burrow, trading for Darnold, running with Dalton blah blah blah are just silly message board pablum, which is fine, it's an anonymous site.. all good, but anybody with any real sense of the NFL realizes it's nonsensical foolishness.

Dak's agent is going to negotiate a deal based on the market, the Cowboys will try to make it as friendly to the team as they can and that's the end of that.

Now the Smith and Zeke deals, well that's a different discussion altogether.

And I still can't believe that a third of the voters on the 'who do you want to start at QB thread' selected Dalton, man i took note of some of the names on that list, what an embarrassment.

kskboys

Reaction score
However the nature of the NFL precludes these types of scenarios.

It's simply being unrealistic to say that Dak, or any QB that finds themselves in a similar situation, would sign the type of contract that you are suggesting.

The QB contract market is set by a number of factors that essentially make it impossible to pay players that have the service time and statistics that Dak, Wentz, Goff have, to anything less than the contracts they have and will receive.

The only alternative is jettisoning your QB and running with the likes of Dalton, Flacco, Newton or comparable players.

Good luck with that.

Owners aren't paying these big salaries just because they personally like their guys, they're doing so because they have looked at all the options and realize that the guy they have is their best option.

The threads on here by the same gumbies constantly talking nonsense about trading up for Joe Burrow, trading for Darnold, running with Dalton blah blah blah are just silly message board pablum, which is fine, it's an anonymous site.. all good, but anybody with any real sense of the NFL realizes it's nonsensical foolishness.

Dak's agent is going to negotiate a deal based on the market, the Cowboys will try to make it as friendly to the team as they can and that's the end of that.

Now the Smith and Zeke deals, well that's a different discussion altogether.

And I still can't believe that a third of the voters on the 'who do you want to start at QB thread' selected Dalton, man i took note of some of the names on that list, what an embarrassment.
Actually, anyone who thinks it's an embarrassment should be embarrassed. Why? Because this is not an easy choice. Making believe that it is is an embarrassment.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Our "best player" on an 8-8 team is not saying very much.
Ahhhhh to be this naive

To be 8-8 in the highest level of football you have to have good football players. To be the best player on an 8-8 team DOES say a lot.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ahhhhh to be this naive

To be 8-8 in the highest level of football you have to have good football players. To be the best player on an 8-8 team DOES say a lot.

v5kHDKd.jpg

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not attached to any player, I root for the laundry. I don't care what they do off the field or how much money they make as long as they're there for my entertainment.

I do enjoy engaging in the banter here about coaches and players and I only pay attention to join in that. I really do not understand the hero worship some seem to have or the intense dislike of any member of the team.

They make a lot of money and we're here to make fun of them every chance we get. That is their purpose in the Zone.

starfan1

Reaction score
Man I can't wait until they sign Dak now. I was, let him play on the tag, see how he does.
So once he signs, we don't have to see your crappy posts and threads about him anymore. :lmao:

Jerry get it done today! :muttley:
Double likes post of the day . He’s a Viking fan anyhow. Perhaps some of his newfound buddies will go with

Whyjerry

Reaction score
How many of you that work yourself up on either side of the Dak contract discussion really think it makes a difference? I hate Garrett and I was not shy about, even got benched a handful of times because of it. I saw it as fun banter and just used it to mess around. I think most of us here do the same with Dak. Will anyone step up and say that that they will renounce their fan hood if we sign or dont sign Dak? Any hardcore?

I like Dak but no. I feel like my skin is alligator thick with regards to the Cowboys by now. I can’t think of a single player I would renounce my fandom for. That said there is one ex player that has turned him into some sort of Marxist revolutionary. Had they signed that guy I would 100pct be done.