Do we need to overhaul the offensive scheme/coaches?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Yes Dak had a great year, ceedee had a great year we all get that. With that said, we had MM input, and Shotty's input, is that too many hands in the pot. I think we severely need to evaluate the OL coach, maybe even the RB coach. I'm worried also that if we change the offense, it will cause learning curves for our offense. We all know that our defense seems to always be ahead of our offense at the start of the season. It will take another half of a season to get things going, what are your thoughts on our offensive scheme/coaches, do you like it, could it be tweaked, does it need to be replaced??

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The run game needs to for sure. The passing game is really good however.

I can’t believe they are keeping Solari.
is it efficient as other offenses around the league, we had an issue with curl routes, now it's the slant route all the time. Seems like our best offensive play is the scramble drill

Chuck 54

Reaction score

I guess it’s a question of whether the run game suffered due to coaching or Mike’s scheme and play design or the players themselves. I will say Solari seems to have done a very good job getting backups and rookies ready to play which was a problem in the past.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I guess it’s a question of whether the run game suffered due to coaching or Mike’s scheme and play design or the players themselves. I will say Solari seems to have done a very good job getting backups and rookies ready to play which was a problem in the past.
very good point

Aven8

Reaction score
It’s a combo of both. But from my understanding Schotty was in charge of the run game. He and Solari had previously worked together and were successful. We never saw any runs off tackle at all. Just right up the gut over and over.

And Philbin did the same as far as getting backups ready.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Passing game was better than it was before. Need to work on successful screen plays. Not sure why this team can rarely run a successful screen on a regular basis. Seems like forever. At least we did not see all those Moore stupid plays and jet sweeps 10 times a game.

Need a RB, and a blocking scheme for the OL. So if that means getting a new OL coach, but they won't do that either.

Need a big target for the end zone threat. For some reason they refuse to have a WR over 6-2.

I think there will be some more changes, like last year they said 30% different, so do they install another 10% or 20% this off-season.

We will get the scheme and a few coaching change on defense, as Zimmer is here.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Yeah, not sure why they are hell bent in keeping Solari. The o-line blocking seemed really bad, even with future HOF's on the line. That can't be solely contributed to the players. Seems like better "scheming" was needed. But, then again, I have no idea......:huh:

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
It’s a combo of both. But from my understanding Schotty was in charge of the run game. He and Solari had previously worked together and were successful. We never saw any runs off tackle at all. Just right up the gut over and over.

And Philbin did the same as far as getting backups ready.
If my life was not super busy, I would love to spend some time looking at the all-22 and see if the blame was more with the line, the scheme, or the RBs.

I think you could make the argument that we had the worst RB room in the league. I like Pollard, but he was coming off a major surgery and is just not a leadback. Everyone else was a UDFA or a very tiny scatback. Not exactly Emmitt Smith or prime Zeke days.

We don't need to go back to leading the league in rushing, but I think a real legit running game that would allow us to control the game flow and would make opposing teams respect the run game, will not only make our offense more efficient, it will also help the defense.

Aven8

Reaction score
If my life was not super busy, I would love to spend some time looking at the all-22 and see if the blame was more with the line, the scheme, or the RBs.

I think you could make the argument that we had the worst RB room in the league. I like Pollard, but he was coming off a major surgery and is just not a leadback. Everyone else was a UDFA or a very tiny scatback. Not exactly Emmitt Smith or prime Zeke days.

We don't need to go back to leading the league in rushing, but I think a real legit running game that would allow us to control the game flow and would make opposing teams respect the run game, will not only make our offense more efficient, it will also help the defense.
I think we need a bell cow. I realize this is the new age but this franchise has been the best when they have one dating back to Tony D, Emmitt, Barber (for a spell), Demarco, and than Zeke.

Passing pays the bills, but being embarrassed by a running game wins in January. Especially when your QB is not elite.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We had the 5th ranked offense and the highest scoring offense. Our QB was second in the MVP race. We don’t need to overhaul anything offensively. We just need to improve the running game with a better lead back and add a better center.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Yes Dak had a great year, ceedee had a great year we all get that. With that said, we had MM input, and Shotty's input, is that too many hands in the pot. I think we severely need to evaluate the OL coach, maybe even the RB coach. I'm worried also that if we change the offense, it will cause learning curves for our offense. We all know that our defense seems to always be ahead of our offense at the start of the season. It will take another half of a season to get things going, what are your thoughts on our offensive scheme/coaches, do you like it, could it be tweaked, does it need to be replaced??
They need to watch SF/DET and learn how to zone block like them, but it needs to start with a strong C.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Yes

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Passing game was better than it was before. Need to work on successful screen plays. Not sure why this team can rarely run a successful screen on a regular basis. Seems like forever. At least we did not see all those Moore stupid plays and jet sweeps 10 times a game.

Need a RB, and a blocking scheme for the OL. So if that means getting a new OL coach, but they won't do that either.

Need a big target for the end zone threat. For some reason they refuse to have a WR over 6-2.

I think there will be some more changes, like last year they said 30% different, so do they install another 10% or 20% this off-season.

We will get the scheme and a few coaching change on defense, as Zimmer is here.
the scheme thing is so stupid, so what is it still the majority of the offense that was here from the previous OC who's now in Philly? The screen plays, I get mad every time I see a team run a successful screen, they make it look so easy!!!