Do we really have a dominant OL?

Bizwah

Reaction score
We really looked good against Philly. We ran the ball as consistently as I've seen us run it this season. But we've really struggled running the ball the first halves of games most of the year.

A truly dominating OL imposes their will on the opponent. Right now, I just don't see it.

Maybe I'm wrong....maybe I expect a early/mid nineties line. We've been pass blocking well, but we just can't run until the second half. This really amazes me. Our weapons in the passing game are too good for teams to be stacking up against the run. Logic says we SHOULD run the ball better at the beginnings of games.

Does anyone have an explanation?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
we don't have a truly dominating Oline, but we do have a big, physical, nasty line who wears opponents down

I might have an explanation, Gurode and Colombo are average run-blockers, Kosier is good, but isn't stout at the point of attack

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
I am thrilled with our line...and it keeps getting better each week.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Bizwah;1754355 said:
We really looked good against Philly. We ran the ball as consistently as I've seen us run it this season. But we've really struggled running the ball the first halves of games most of the year.

A truly dominating OL imposes their will on the opponent. Right now, I just don't see it.

Maybe I'm wrong....maybe I expect a early/mid nineties line. We've been pass blocking well, but we just can't run until the second half. This really amazes me. Our weapons in the passing game are too good for teams to be stacking up against the run. Logic says we SHOULD run the ball better at the beginnings of games.

we also don't have Emmitt anymore

Big Dakota

Reaction score
Bizwah;1754355 said:

Dude, we have the 10th ranked rush O in the NFL with 128 yards per game. I hear what you're saying about the first quarter, but we are improving with our 1st Q scoring and it's only week 9, so i'll give it another month before i get too worried. We scored 14 in the 1st last week and ran it well in the first. Against Minny we went 14 plays and 80 yars for a TD in the first. Lets not panic;)

Mansta54

Reaction score
Bizwah;1754355 said:

Yes, you're dead wrong!! Our oline is BIG, STRONG, AGGRESSIVE, PHYSICAL, and NASTY. They give Romo plenty of time to throw and they physically pound people all game long. Look at our offensive numbers, they're AWESOME and it all starts upfront...

Zman5

Reaction score
We have a dominant pass protecting O-Line. I think we could run block better.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Olines need to gel and they seem to be doing that now. From what I saw they did impose their will over the philly defense. That was the most complete game I've seen from the Cowboys in a long time. I saw a lot of growth, things are looking up.

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1754463 said:
Olines need to gel and they seem to be doing that now. From what I saw they did impose their will over the philly defense. That was the most complete game I've seen from the Cowboys in a long time. I saw a lot of growth, things are looking up.

Yeah-considering that the Eagles have(or had) one of the best DLs in all of football(Supposedly, Mike Patterson and Broderick Bunkley are/were 2 of the strongest DTs in the league), I was VERY impressed by how well our OL did against them.

NMfan

Reaction score
bigbadroy;1754377 said:

Bingo! :star:

Emmitt had great vision and made the Oline look even better than it was.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
i think we have a good maybe very good o-line not a great one. our o-line to me is inconsistent for the most part in the 1st half of games this year except for the philly game. although Romo is able to make them look better with his mobility in the pocket by avoiding sacks that not most QB's can avoid. Its until the 2nd half where their size and physical ability wears down the opponents D-line and starts dominating especially pass protecting. i think that fact that our O-line isnt very athletic hurts them in the 1st half when the opposing line is very fresh and playing with a lot of energy. but once they tire them out our O-line clearly dominates.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Da Hammer;1754478 said:
i think we have a good maybe very good o-line not a great one. our o-line to me is inconsistent for the most part in the 1st half of games this year except for the philly game. although Romo is able to make them look better with his mobility in the pocket by avoiding sacks that not most QB's can avoid. Its until the 2nd half where their size and physical ability wears down the opponents D-line and starts dominating especially pass protecting. i think that fact that our O-line isnt very athletic hurts them in the 1st half when the opposing line is very fresh and playing with a lot of energy. but once they tire them out our O-line clearly dominates.

good point, the only athleticism on the line is Kosier and Bigg

djtavo

Jesus is Lord
Reaction score
IMO i think we have a GREAT OL, if we didnt Romo will not have the numbers he is having. Everything starts in the front.

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
bigbadroy;1754377 said:
:hammer:

As much as I love the "Barberian" there's only one Emmitt. And as great as our O-line in the 90s was the team rarely won when Emmitt was out and when they did win they struggled!

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
SuperCows5Xs;1754506 said:
:hammer:

As much as I love the "Barberian" there's only one Emmitt. And as great as our O-line in the 90s was the team rarely won when Emmitt was out and when they did win they struggled!

Yes-ALL elements have to work. Also remember too when Ray Donaldson(our C) went down late in '05, Emmitt had trouble finding holes(under we moved Derrick Kenard to C).

I don't think our OL is our problem, it's Julius. ALTHOUGH in recent weeks, he's shown signs of life, especially in that Philly game against a supposedly stout Eagles DL.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
I think our O line is solid. But Romo and Barber make it look better than it really is. Jones on the other hand makes it look a little worse.

I will say that I was impressed with Jones against the Eagles last week. He ran hard.

I like that both Gurode and Columbo got pissed when 77 from the eagles took a nasty late hit against jones.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
If we could do a better job of eliminating those false start penalties and about half the holding penalties, our OL would be a lot better.

I will say this, our OL is far and away superior to what we had last year. I think the addition of Bigg, along with the maturation of Gurode, Kosier, and Colombo has been very nice.

Here are a few things that I believe have helped our OL improve.

1. Health - these guys have been able to remain healthy all year and stay together as a cohesive unit

2. Coaching - they seem to be better coached and prepared this year. it also helps that they have had to practice against our non-vanilla defense. they are used to seeing stunts, blitzes, and defensive audibles in practice, and thus able to adjust easier and faster in games. Their blocking schemes seem to be rather good.

3. Mobile QB - Romo is very elusive and mobile within the pocket and thus allows the OL a bit of leeway with how they block. They don't have to be pressured into making a perfect block to get effective play from their QB, as when we had Bledsoe.

4. Imposing Will - As each game goes on, the OL seems to impose its will on the defense. Our running game is very nice in the 4th quarter, while only being average in the first 3. After 3 quarters of having these mammoths wear you down, the defenses are waving white flags. Then the OL goes for the kill, opening up huge holes for mostely MB3.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Our O line is VERY good at pass blocking. Average in run blocking untill they wear down the D. I think that if we can keep this line together for another year or so, by then the run blocking could be very good all game long. remember, the 90s O line got together in 90 and with a couple of changes was pretty much the same for 5 years. Also, most of the players with the exception of LA and Eric were all experienced guys even before they started with us. Add to that the talent there was better over all.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
burmafrd;1754998 said:
Our O line is VERY good at pass blocking. Average in run blocking untill they wear down the D. I think that if we can keep this line together for another year or so, by then the run blocking could be very good all game long. remember, the 90s O line got together in 90 and with a couple of changes was pretty much the same for 5 years. Also, most of the players with the exception of LA and Eric were all experienced guys even before they started with us. Add to that the talent there was better over all.

Doesn't hurt that they had an elite RB running behind them either. We don't have that in Dallas (even when MB3 is running it).