Do we still draft a safety with our 2nd rounder?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;2683963 said:
I'm still trying to decide what I think of this kid. On a scale of David Ball to Jerry Rice, where would I rank him kind of thing.

I see him as a solid slot receiver in the NFL, and he'd probably be best served by going to a team that runs the West Coast offense...

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
silverbear;2683980 said:
I see him as a solid slot receiver in the NFL, and he'd probably be best served by going to a team that runs the West Coast offense...

I like Dillard, I'm just overly cautious I guess. David White Rice Ball broke Jerry Rice's TD record in 2006 and had a slow time in the 40, going undrafted when many sites had him projected him around a 5th rounder. Dillard breaks David Ball's record by 2, also had a slow 40 time at the combine and projects to round 3-4.

I like Dillard who should make a roster rather than dropping out in the CFL as well as the other guys on your list, but I would add Mike Thomas, who is my personal favorite. He may climb into the 2nd as he puts up the good numbers, performed well in both East-West and SeniorBowl and had terrific performance at the combine. The only knock is his 5'-8", which might mean not being seen with 6'-7" OL in the way in the NFL.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;2683998 said:
I like Dillard, I'm just overly cautious I guess. David White Rice Ball broke Jerry Rice's TD record in 2006 and had a slow time in the 40, going undrafted when many sites had him projected him around a 5th rounder. Dillard breaks David Ball's record by 2, also had a slow 40 time at the combine and projects to round 3-4.

Uhhh, a 4.52 40 isn't especially fast, but it's not slow either... that's what Dillard ran at the Combine, and I'm betting he gets it down into the 4.48-4.49 range at his Pro Day workout...

Ball ran a 4.65... big difference...

I like Dillard who should make a roster rather than dropping out in the CFL as well as the other guys on your list, but I would add Mike Thomas, who is my personal favorite. He may climb into the 2nd as he puts up the good numbers, performed well in both East-West and SeniorBowl and had terrific performance at the combine. The only knock is his 5'-8", which might mean not being seen with 6'-7" OL in the way in the NFL.

That's the thing, I think Thomas goes before I'd look at a WR... Hos sold me on him, but I have other plans for the 2nd and 3rd round picks...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sensabaugh was signed to a one year deal to buy time for a rookie.

We will still draft a safety but it may not be in round 2. It will be the earliest spot where we get good value.

Its not like we signed Sensabaugh to a 5 year deal.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
silverbear;2684037 said:
Uhhh, a 4.52 40 isn't especially fast, but it's not slow either... that's what Dillard ran at the Combine, and I'm betting he gets it down into the 4.48-4.49 range at his Pro Day workout...

Ball ran a 4.65... big difference...

That's the thing, I think Thomas goes before I'd look at a WR... Hos sold me on him, but I have other plans for the 2nd and 3rd round picks...

I can assure you Mike Thomas does not get drafted before round 4.

Thomas is a Skyler Green type player without the injury concerns. He doesn't look very natural at all at WR. Dillard is a vastly better WR and prospect.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I've seen Chung going anywhere between early 2nd all the way us in the 3rd. I say we stick to our board at this point and take the BPA approach according to our board--which takes into account our needs.

DFWJC

Reaction score
silverbear;2683912 said:
For WR, I'm targeting Jarett Dillard, Quan Cosby or Johnny Knox in the middle rounds... Jarett was a touchdown machine in college, setting an NCAA record for WRs with 60 TDs... Cosby has good speed, is fearless, a willing blocker, and a capable kick returner... Knox is blazing fast, and the Boys can use some more speed at WR...

The common thread with all of them is that they're smaller WRs, with the quickness to play in the slot... the Boys have a ton of big wideouts, it might be advantageous to add a Smurf who can play some...

I agree with this post on all accounts. If we can get any of those three without reaching, I would be happy. Middle rounds should work if that is where they are on our draft boards. Jarett is a real playmaker with great hands and hops and so-so speed. Cosby reminds me a little of Hines Ward. Knox is jsut a flat our burner.

jday

Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2683012 said:
With the addition of Sensabaugh and now Scandrick playing some "star"..is it safe to say that we won't be picking Delmas or Chung now??
I'm not sure how everyone is ignoring our drastic need at CB at this point. With the release of Pacman, the trade of Anthony Henry, and the possible transition of Scandrick, that leaves us with only 2 starter quality CB's; Ball should not have even made the 53 roster over Oglesby, but that's for a different thread. Nevertheless, with all the teams moving to the 3-4, I still say the Cowboys address Safety, but a 3-4 ready NT or hybrid in the Ratliff mold, should come first, then CB, then we can probably address Safety and ILB both in the 4th round.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
jday;2684326 said:
I'm not sure how everyone is ignoring our drastic need at CB at this point. With the release of Pacman, the trade of Anthony Henry, and the possible transition of Scandrick, that leaves us with only 2 starter quality CB's; Ball should not have even made the 53 roster over Oglesby, but that's for a different thread. Nevertheless, with all the teams moving to the 3-4, I still say the Cowboys address Safety, but a 3-4 ready NT or hybrid in the Ratliff mold, should come first, then CB, then we can probably address Safety and ILB both in the 4th round.

I agree, CB is a draft need on par with S, OL and LB. But it still depends on what we do with Killa and FA. We're almost in position to really take BPA. Between Chung, Byrd and Unger, I'm feeling Oregon could figure in to our first pick.

Woods

Reaction score
Sitting Bull;2684412 said:
I agree, CB is a draft need on par with S, OL and LB. But it still depends on what we do with Killa and FA. We're almost in position to really take BPA. Between Chung, Byrd and Unger, I'm feeling Oregon could figure in to our first pick.

Between the three names you just mentioned, I'd lean towards Byrd. (I have to re-do my mock draft.)

I think it's more difficult to pick up a quality CB later in this Draft than a quality Safety.

Plus, Byrd is an excellent player who produced at Oregon.