Do You Guys Agree With Moving Ratliff To End?

Reaction score
Just wanted to get your opinion on the Cowboys moving Ratliff to DE. Do you like the move or not?

Ratliff, for one, isn't happy with the move, preferring to stay at NT.

JMO, I rather keep Ratliff at NT because he did very well there and is comfortable with that position. I guess they are trying to get as many interchangeable players as possible in case of an injury.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2168159 said:
Just wanted to get your opinion on the Cowboys moving Ratliff to DE. Do you like the move or not?

Ratliff, for one, isn't happy with the move, preferring to stay at NT.

JMO, I rather keep Ratliff at NT because he did very well there and is comfortable with that position. I guess they are trying to get as many interchangeable players as possible in case of an injury.

I'll wait until we see them in the upcoming pre-season games and how they perform.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
I'm all for it. I think it maximizes players abilities and provides for a better rotation.

reddyuta

Reaction score
is this move permanent?i thought this was just to make our DL more versatile.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Yes. We need more production in the pass rush from the DE position.

That's not going to happen with Spears.

And because Tank is there to take over at NT it makes sense.

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2168174 said:
Yes. We need more production in the pass rush from the DE position.

That's not going to happen with Spears.

And because Tank is there to take over at NT it makes sense.

But... Wasn't Ratliff paid to be an NT? It doesn't sound like a big deal but... maybe to Ratliff it is.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2168159 said:

Ellis was comfortable too, but in the end, moving him to LB was the best move and he ending up going to his first Pro Bowl. This move makes too much sense not to try it. Spears is a guy who can hold down a spot and Rat is a guy that can rush the passer.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I agree with it 100% because I think Tank has earned a starting shot and Ratliff is a better pass rusher than Spears.

dogberry

Reaction score
Are the Cowboys getting away with something? Paying Jay NT money but getting DE production out of him?

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2168185 said:
Ellis was comfortable too, but in the end, moving him to LB was the best move and he ending up going to his first Pro Bowl. This move makes too much sense not to try it. Spears is a guy who can hold down a spot and Rat is a guy that can rush the passer.

Ellis had no choice because he is undersized to be a DE in the 34D. Ellis is perfect size for OLB in the 34D. Also, Ellis is older and can't take the pounding.

Reaction score
dogberry;2168189 said:
Are the Cowboys getting away with something? Paying Jay NT money but getting DE production out of him?

That is my question, too. I hope this is something that the Cowboys do just to give different looks and not permanent.

Mash

Reaction score
The team has a tough decision next year and I think they are looking at how Ratliff and Tank play together.

Tank is in his last year.....and if he has a solid season he will be looking at a bigger contract.......Spears is being paid like a 1st rounder but his production as a pass rusher isnt paying dividends.

I think Spears has gained weight since his rookie year and he has the lead in the butt to play the nose. I always thought putting Spears at the NT position was a great option.

I can see what the coaches are thinking......Ratliff, Canty and Tank as starters....Hatcher as a backup DE....and Spears as the backup NT....

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2168191 said:
Ellis had no choice because he is undersized to be a DE in the 34D. Ellis is perfect size for OLB in the 34D. Also, Ellis is older and can't take the pounding.

Rat is undersized for the nose. Also, Ellis moving ALLOWED him to make MORE plays. A position change for Jay will allow him more sacks and pressures.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree with it. It's been said many times that Ratliff is probably our best rushing DL so it would make sense to move him to DE IMO. If we can create pressure from the DE spot, that's going to open it up considerably for the OLBs. If you double Ware, then you have to allow Ratliff and Ellis to be one on one and that's always going to favor us. If you double Ratliff, then you have a real problem with Ware. If opposing offenses decide to go max protect in order to create more help with the rush, then it seriously limits the O's ability to throw the ball because we can double cover everybody and still get to the QB with Coverage Sacks. That eventually translates into turnovers and that a party. If Ratliff can create pressure from the DE position, I'm all for the move.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I do like the idea of spears playing the nose. He can eat up some space and is good against the run.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
dallasfaniac circa 06 said:
The D-Line was pretty good.

I thought Coleman was really getting pressure from the LT spot even when they doubled him.

Canty rushes better from the right side. For whatever reason he always looked a tad slow off the snap from the left side.

Spears...he has alot of power but looks like he is running in water.

Ratliff was a force early on, putting pressure on Manning, but still able to run back to recover the Harrison fumble.

Hatcher has some moves. He looks like despite his size he could handle OLB. lol. He is just very quick.

I dug these up from 06, I know I and others have been saying this since Spears came into the league. Canty was moved to the right side and now Spears will be moved inside to stop inside runs. Ratliff and Hatcher show that they can get after the QB. What is not to like about this move, when it should have happened a couple years ago?

sacase

Reaction score
Who cares if I agree with it. If the coaches like it I love it.

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;2168227 said:
I dug these up from 06, I know I and others have been saying this since Spears came into the league. Canty was moved to the right side and now Spears will be moved inside to stop inside runs. Ratliff and Hatcher show that they can get after the QB. What is not to like about this move, when it should have happened a couple years ago?

Dam, with all of this good talk, I am pumped for the season to get here already. This is going to be fun.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2168211 said:
Rat is undersized for the nose. Also, Ellis moving ALLOWED him to make MORE plays. A position change for Jay will allow him more sacks and pressures.

That's what I would think too -- which is why is shocks me that he would have a problem with it. Why would anyone prefer to play NT in a 3-4 compared to end? No glory in there! Plus, if he succeeds at DE, he's likely to get noticed alot more, which equals more money in future contract negotiations, with us or someone else. Strange.