CZ POLL ***** Do you think the Cowboys will defeat the 49ers in the wildcard round? *****

Do you think the Cowboys will defeat the 49ers in the wildcard round?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
BRING THEM ALL OUT FOR INSPIRATION

Bring out Bob Lilly, Randy White, Too Tall Jones and D Ware to inspire today's defenders of the glory days of yesterear.

Bring out Drew Pearson and Michael Irvin, Playmakers Supreme, to inspire our current WR's to reach for greatness and to make game-breaking plays.

Bring T FRED and Larry Allen to inspire the OL to be roadgraders, to blow open holes, to protect DAK.

Bring out EMMITT to give Zeke and Tony P some big time playing advice.

Lastly, ask Troy, a master of the playoffs, to give some pointers to Dak.

We need to invoke the legendary ones to lift this team to a frenzy that no team can handle.

Start strong, score early, harrass Jimmy G all day, never let up and finish strong. Bring back the euphoria of the 70's and the '91-'95 eras.

Hardline

Reaction score
If we throw the ball better than SF (based on adjusted efficiency and explosivity) statistical historical trends suggest they could run for 200 yards and still lose almost every time.

And before you suggest it, no, running the ball doesn’t help you throw it better. This has been thoroughly debunked and the statistics are clear, passing efficiency is almost entirely independent of rushing success in the NFL.
99% of everyone who knows football will disagree with you. If a team rushes for 200 yards it is very likely that win the game. Just look at the Cowboys record when they rush for over 100 yards.
Ground beats air most of the time.

TWOK11

Reaction score
99% of everyone who knows football will disagree with you. If a team rushes for 200 yards it is very likely that win the game. Just look at the Cowboys record when they rush for over 100 yards.
Ground beats air most of the time.

That’s not true, but even if it were all it would mean is that 99% of people are wrong. The statistics are clear and overwhelming.

And the reason the Cowboys record is great when they run for over a hundred yards, and why most other teams is as well, is because this is usually indicative of a team that had a lead (often a big lead) for much of the game and thus ran the ball more especially later in the game. Over the last 5 years in games where Dallas rushed for over a hundred yards, 65% of those yards came in the second half and nearly 50% occurred in the second half games when Dallas was up by at least 9 points (two scores).

Leads are built and games are won by passing the ball efficiently and explosively.

Hardline

Reaction score
That’s not true, but even if it were all it would mean is that 99% of people are wrong. The statistics are clear and overwhelming.

And the reason the Cowboys record is great when they run for over a hundred yards, and why most other teams is as well, is because this is usually indicative of a team that had a lead (often a big lead) for much of the game and thus ran the ball more especially later in the game. Over the last 5 years in games where Dallas rushed for over a hundred yards, 65% of those yards came in the second half and nearly 50% occurred in the second half games when Dallas was up by at least 9 points (two scores).

Leads are built and games are won by passing the ball efficiently and explosively.
A strong running game negates a passing team just about every time. There's a reason why teams want to establish the running game. It wins games.

TWOK11

Reaction score
A strong running game negates a passing team just about every time. There's a reason why teams want to establish the running game. It wins games.

Rushing for more YPA or adjusted YPA wins you a game 54% of the time in the NFL since 2006. Passing the ball more efficiently by adjusted passing efficiency wins 82% of the time in that time frame. Passing the ball more efficiently AND explosively (by adjusted YPA and explosive play %) wins you the game 94%. And these numbers are what they are after being corrected for each other. And when analyzing if one helps the other, we actually find that it’s passing well initially that opens up the run game. Running well is independent of how well you pass however, as passing is almost entirely linked to QB and OL play. And a great passing game beats a great defense the majority of the time as well in todays game.

If you throw the ball more efficiently and explosively than your opponent, independent of anything else, you win 19/20 times in the modern NFL. If you run the ball more efficiently and explosively, it’s basically a coin flip.

The rules changes in the mid-2000s shifted the game so heavily in favor of explosive passing games that it has become this overwhelming statistically.

Hardline

Reaction score
Rushing for more YPA or adjusted YPA wins you a game 54% of the time in the NFL since 2006. Passing the ball more efficiently by adjusted passing efficiency wins 82% of the time in that time frame. Passing the ball more efficiently AND explosively (by adjusted YPA and explosive play %) wins you the game 94%. And these numbers are what they are after being corrected for each other. And when analyzing if one helps the other, we actually find that it’s passing well initially that opens up the run game. Running well is independent of how well you pass however, as passing is almost entirely linked to QB and OL play. And a great passing game beats a great defense the majority of the time as well in todays game.

If you throw the ball more efficiently and explosively than your opponent, independent of anything else, you win 19/20 times in the modern NFL. If you run the ball more efficiently and explosively, it’s basically a coin flip.

The rules changes in the mid-2000s shifted the game so heavily in favor of explosive passing games that it has become this overwhelming statistically.
Cite your source.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Cite your source.

Theres also a good statistical breakdown of things like going for it in 4th down and run vs pass in terms of winning games from guys at MIT from a few years ago. May take me a minute to find that though.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
All the media and most of the people around seem to think the 9ers are going to win this game. Let's go Cowboys!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I rarely vote for the Cowboys to lose in any poll. The optimistic homer side of me usually wins.

But when picking this game last week, I just kept thinking of Parcells and "you are what you are." Nevermind the record, just look at the Boys consistency.

After that early glorious start, too many big games against big opponents where Dak choked, receivers dropping critical balls, offense coming out slow, Dak always afraid to throw deep, defense gave up big plays early, stupid penalties all over the place, and offense always coming back too little, too late.

When it first started happening, I was like the rest of the gang - offensive line woes, WRs out, Dak injured, but after a while the realization that we just weren't a great team started to hit me.

I hope I eat this. I hope this team has a glorious comeback today. I want this team to win. But it's not a team that showed any championship moxy or toughness after the first half of the season and we shouldn't be surprised they're folding like a cheap suitcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.