Does anyone make fermented foods?

Hardline

Reaction score
I am trying my hand at making some fermented foods.
I just picked up 2 heads of cabbage and some sea salt and going to attempt to make some sauerkraut from following a youtube video.

I am also going to make some Tepache. A fermented Mexican pineapple drink made from pineapple peels and piloncillo(Mexican brown sugar)

Hardline

Reaction score
Fermented foods are supposedly full of probiotics and good for gut health.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
My brother In law is Cambodian, and a dish they’re famous for is fermented sour pork.

Basically, they let pork sit out in the sun for a week covered in rice, and as the pork ferments, the rice reacts to it and makes it a bit sour (sort of like sauerkraut). Then you fry it up and it’s some of the best tasting meat I’ve ever had!

Hoofbite

Reaction score

You could just buy probiotics if that's what you're going for. No need to go through all the work of having to let something rot. I do like kombucha but I don't drink it for the probiotics. I just like the hint of sour it has.

Hardline

Reaction score
You could just buy probiotics if that's what you're going for. No need to go through all the work of having to let something rot. I do like kombucha but I don't drink it for the probiotics. I just like the hint of sour it has.
No. I couldn't just buy probiotics. I love homemade sauerkraut and it has 10 times more healthy bacteria than probiotics in a pill.

jnday

Reaction score
Good luck to you! I would starve before I would eat any fermented foods. I have my limits and the fermented foods are well beyond those limits.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I am trying my hand at making some fermented foods.
I just picked up 2 heads of cabbage and some sea salt and going to attempt to make some sauerkraut from following a youtube video.

I am also going to make some Tepache. A fermented Mexican pineapple drink made from pineapple peels and piloncillo(Mexican brown sugar)

I’ve never made homemade sauerkraut.

My mothers side of the family is PA Dutch. My great grandparents even spoke PA Dutch.

My great grandmother used to make homemade sauerkraut. It was one of their staple foods. Sauerkraut and pork or kielbasa. They grew cabbage on their farm. So her sauerkraut was sooooo good.

homemade shoo fly pie or Whoopie pies.

She used to make fermented chow chow also.

All kinds of
Good stuff.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I put a couple things of bread yeast in a thing of apple juice one time

It was alcoholic but, shockingly, very nasty.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I make a big batch of fermented ginger and I garlic, it lasts for months and speeds up cooking while adding great flavor to all kinds of dishes