Does anyone remember how bad our line sucked?

vlad

Reaction score
Other than signing a backup from Detroit, how have we improved it? Its not like we wearing tearing open holes before Flo got hurt.

Right now, it looks like we are counting on:
1) Flo to get healthy and return to form
2) Rivera to get healthy (back) and return to pre-Dallas form
3) Kosier elevating his play to that of a starter for a good team. (Detroit's offense hasn't been too hot lately(
4) Pettiti improving, getting stronger and quicker
5) Johnson in his 3rd year getting much stronger to help control the middle. Guroude in his 4th year returning to form on ihs rookie year.

Easily the OL was the biggest problem for the Cowboys, by a WIDE margin. Poor Julius, Drew, Marion, and our tired defense if these assumptions above don't work out.
What do you other fans think in terms of how big you thought OL was a problem last year (especially compared to WR, LB, the only comparable position need to me is FS, but still OL is much more important) compared with what we have done so far to address it?

oh and i'm not worried about these signings the skins are making, unless your skill position is up to the level of a TO or something like that, I think you are much wiser building from the inside (lines) out.

thoughts?
thanks

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
We can all plan on seeing this:

LT...Adams
LG...Kosier
C...Big Al/Gurode
RG...Rivera
RT...Petitti/Columbo/draft pic?

silver

Reaction score
flo, gurode and kosier will start. the rest of the guys: allen (if he stays), tucker, johnson, petitti, rivera, peterman, colombo, rogers and whoever else we sign or draft will fight for the remaining 2 spots.

superpunk

Reaction score
Um...Flo will be healthy, hopefully. Look at the numbers pre and post Flo.

I feel like a broken record.:)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:

LT...Adams
LG...Kosier
C...Big Al/Gurode
RG...Rivera

Can I get sick now or later?

But I agree. Jerry Jones has said it himself. They view the line in two ways: Pre-Flozell Adams injury and Post.

And they believe they are fine and viewed Allen as the weak link, not Petitti.

silver

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:

LT...Adams
LG...Kosier
C...Big Al/Gurode
RG...Rivera

i can see:

LT...Adams
LG...?
C... ?
RG...Gurode
RT...Kosier

with Gurode and Kosier being intechangeable at C/G and G/RT repectabily depending on who else emerges as a starter.

Alexander

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Um...Flo will be healthy, hopefully. Look at the numbers pre and post Flo.

I feel like a broken record.:)

But how is it fair or smart to evaluate off of half a season and automatically assume a year from now it repeats itself?

I don't doubt there is some truth to this, but we are making assumptions again.

And each and everytime we assumed something, it reared around and bit our heads off and cost us big-time.

We "assumed" Quincy Carter could stay out of trouble and not be threatened by Vinny T. Wrong.

We "assumed" Willie Blade and Daleroy Stewart were the part of the future on the defensive line. Wrong.

We "assumed" Eddie George still had something left in the tank. Wrong.

We "assumed" Marcellus Wiley just had a few off years before we signed him and wasn't in decline. Wrong.

We "assumed" Jacob Rogers would suck it up and perform. Wrong.

I would prefer to go with what we have. Give them the opportunity.

But there is nothing wrong with insurance.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I still think Kosier plays right tackle. They would have probably released Larry Allen by now if Kosier was going to take his spot and I think they'd be overpaying for a guy who is a decent guard.

The good part was last season when Flozell was playing, Bledsoe had a QB rating of 100. When Flozell was out, his rating plummeted to a 72.

If they do get T.O., that will help out somewhat with pass protection because he's such a big threat to take a short pass pattern and blow by the defense. Thus opposing teams are a little more averse to blitzing because he can kill the blitz and they don't want to leave Terry Glenn by himself either.

Rich............

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Alexander said:

But I agree. Jerry Jones has said it himself. They view the line in two ways: Pre-Flozell Adams injury and Post.

This oline is tough to figure out...this could turn out to be a really good oline, OR we will be yelling like last year. Honestly, I have no clue.

I do think LA was getting away with a lot...Kosier may step in and kick total arse and we will all be asking why we didn't dump LA before, or the opposite may occur.

Go figure...all I can do is cross my fingers and hope we are getting the personell to run the type of scheme they want.

superpunk

Reaction score
Alexander said:
I would prefer to go with what we have. Give them the opportunity.

But there is nothing wrong with insurance.

Totally agree. Peterman and Rogers are supposed to fill that role, but as yet, no. So, I expect a few more FA signings, for "insurance" purposes, nad maybe a draftee. We definitely need more quality depth. Can't count on the line being healthy the entire year - that rarely happens.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
This oline is tough to figure out...this could turn out to be a really good oline, OR we will be yelling like last year. Honestly, I have no clue.

I think at best, the O-Line will be serviceable.

While Flozell is a pretty good LT and Bledsoe was a far better QB with him than without him, he's really better off at right tackle. The O-Line is very one dimensional in that it has historically ran well only behind left tackle. However, they struggle going to the outside or to the right.

I think the big problem is that they've got a few guys playing out of position. No way should Torrin Tucker be anywhere near LT under any circumstances. If anything, he might make a pretty good OG. Petitti might be better off at guard as well.

It's kind of like Gurode who while he was still inconsistent last season, it was apparent that he's far better off at playing center than at guard, where they had him at before.

Rich........

neosapien23

Reaction score
What is going on with Kevin Barry? Has he signed with anyone yet? I would like Dallas to sign him to a Kozier like deal and have him compete with Pettitti and Rogers for the RT job. Maybe Rivera can vouche for him.

Adams-Kosier-Gurode-Rivera-Barry 1st unit
Rogers-Turullo-Johnson-Procter-Pettitti 2nd unit

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Most of these guys would not start for any other team in the league let alone be counted on to perform as a back-up. And they are "our" line. Sheesh.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I think at best, the O-Line will be serviceable.

While Flozell is a pretty good LT and Bledsoe was a far better QB with him than without him, he's really better off at right tackle. The O-Line is very one dimensional in that it has historically ran well only behind left tackle. However, they struggle going to the outside or to the right.

Rich........

Man do I agree with this 100%...everytime I bring this up I get hammered inside and out...BUT he's a pro-bowler at LT etc etc...

Moving Flo to the right side would make him the best RT in football...

Flo next to a healthy Rivera would create a very good right side to run through...very good.

You got me going now...lol....this is what I'd like to see to fix, but i'll get hammered...oh well!

LT...FA vet...and top OT in the draft to develop...plays when ready.
LG...I guess Kosier for now
C...Al's (i'm fine with him...plus Gurode)
RG...Rivera is fine there if healthy...I watched some tape on him...he's still good when healthy
RT...Flo/Petitti (This would be dominant with a Petitti backing up)

I think we'd be better off short and long term like this...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Alexander said:

When did Jerry say that Larry Allen is the weakest link on the line? :mad:

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
I still think Kosier plays right tackle. They would have probably released Larry Allen by now if Kosier was going to take his spot and I think they'd be overpaying for a guy who is a decent guard.

Rich............

I'm not so sure about this. From everything I've heard, seen and read Kosier is a much better guard than tackle. He does not have the quick feet needed for tackle and speed guys just blow by him. At guard this is less of an issue and he does have some mobility to get out to the 2nd level- that's his plus over LA now. But I'll be honest, I think LA is a better pass blocker even now than Kozier and it would not bother me one bit if LA restructures and comes back and Kozier is pulling splinters out of his butt on the bench. Kozier is probably less physically gifted than Tucker, but he's technically a lot more sound. If this is all there is, color me extremely disheartened. I'm still holding out hope we bring in a Fabini or a Runyan as a 2 year band aid for RT.

Alexander

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
When did Jerry say that Larry Allen is the weakest link on the line? :mad:

The moves they have made speak to that assumption.

Jones isn't going to come out and say Player Z was the problem. But signing Kosier to play guard is a dead-giveaway.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Are there really any great solutions in free agency this year?

Hutchinson obviously is a great guard, but he was very expensive and even if Dallas offered him the money he wanted, he just may not have wanted to play in Dallas. Sometimes you just can't entice every top player available to come play for your team.

Other than Hutch, who else was out there that was a sure fire fix for Dallas. Mawae? Maybe, but certainly doesn't look like an instant upgrade. And he is one of the better players available. Others are available because they have underachieved or just were not that good. Free agency this year did not provide a lot of options for offensive linemen. Perhaps Dallas will add some talent via the draft.

sago1

Reaction score
I do remember very well how badly our OL played; it must be upgraded and frankly we have done little. If Kosier is starting LG w/Peterman as backup, who fills in if Riveria not up to snuff and who playing RT. Kosier can't play all 3 at same time.

Gurode brought back on agreement he has legit shot to win C from Johnson but we can't hope/feel/think somehow either will be better then last season--but looks like that is the plan. We also can only hope Riveria able regain some of his early form after back surgery, time will time. And RT is still a mess & we can't believe Pettiti will improve so much in 1 offseason that he goes from 6/7th quality player to first rounder. All we can hope for is a solid-to-good performance as backup this year. I do think we plan use first day pick on RT but after that what the plan is would be anybody's guess. Common sense says we must add at least another OT; if we go thru the draft, pick an OT who can play both RT/LT so he can be moved to LT in 1-3 years depending on Flo. Jonathan Scott can play both positions and he also a LS, so we would save a position is he legit LS and can replace French Canadian guy we have now. Scott might be able to start at RT if not right away then later in the season and then be moved to LT depending on what we do about Adams and his increasing cap cost.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The blocking was so bad I ended up with a concussion just watching them.