Does Dallas need to hire a GM?

gollum

Reaction score
I purposely ask that now because this has been the mantra for years when we were struggling. How about now when we are 11-1?

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Took Jerry a long time to learn the ropes ut with Stephen and Ireland around this has really developed in to a strong organization that drafts well and handles the cap too.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
gollum;1807000 said:
I purposely ask that now because this has been the mantra for years when we were struggling. How about now when we are 11-1?

They kind of had one in Bill Parcells, lets ask that question again in a few years.

dallasfan

Reaction score
gollum;1807000 said:

Well it seems at the very least Jerry has found someone who knows what they're doing in Jeff Ireland. We definately could've used one a few years ago, but for now I think we're good

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No. Jerry is as good as any GM in the league. He's been doing it for what 17-18 years now. Who are you going to hire with as much experience and success as Jerry Jones? I think an overlooked aspect is that part of hiring Parcells is that Jones realized he needed to learn how to build and run the team better and chose Parcells to learn from. Jones now has his experiences with Johnson and Parcells to move forward with. The haters don't want to admit it but at this point Jerry Jones is as big of a football guy as there is in this world. He has won 3 superbowls, been through the down years associated with rebuilding and learning from mistakes, and has now rebuilt a legit, young contending team. Yes, Parcells is due alot of credit, but Jones was right there along side him and even overruled him on TO and Ware. I more than happy to have Jones running this team for as long as he can.

SibannacRex

Reaction score
gollum;1807000 said:

I think if JJ wanted to do this, he would have kept Parcells on as GM last year.

Parcells is the best "GM" we've had since the J. Johnson days (when he was effectively the personnel guy)

jchocolate82

Reaction score
Cowboys22;1807018 said:
No. Jerry is as good as any GM in the league. He's been doing it for what 17-18 years now. Who are you going to hire with as much experience and success as Jerry Jones? I think an overlooked aspect is that part of hiring Parcells is that Jones realized he needed to learn how to build and run the team better and chose Parcells to learn from. Jones now has his experiences with Johnson and Parcells to move forward with. The haters don't want to admit it but at this point Jerry Jones is as big of a football guy as there is in this world. He has won 3 superbowls, been through the down years associated with rebuilding and learning from mistakes, and has now rebuilt a legit, young contending team. Yes, Parcells is due alot of credit, but Jones was right there along side him and even overruled him on TO and Ware. I more than happy to have Jones running this team for as long as he can.

Amen :cool:

sago1

Reaction score
No we already got a pretty good GM in Jerry Jones and whoever is advising him. My only question is how good he is in judging talent. Other GMs like Pats GM make trades to get a guy like Wes Welker (sp?), etc. Jerry's trade efforts haven't been successful and I'd like to see him add that talent to his skills.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday;1807010 said:
They kind of had one in Bill Parcells, lets ask that question again in a few years.
I think he means a GM that makes all the personnel decisions, not a coach that has influence in the decision (just like they have now).

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
gollum;1807000 said:

Yes, candidly it was Parcells that undid a decade of JJ GM wrongs. Wade is riding that wave. But if JJ goes off the ranch as GM again we will be in decline soon enough.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Nors;1807074 said:
Yes, candidly it was Parcells that undid a decade of JJ GM wrongs. Wade is riding that wave. But if JJ goes off the ranch as GM again we will be in decline soon enough.
Wade isn't riding a wave. Wade is doing what Parcells could not.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1807081 said:
Wade isn't riding a wave. Wade is doing what Parcells could not.

GM is about talent. Game over comparing 2002 roster versus 2007 roster. Thats on GM Parcells

Wade is doing a great job with Parcells players - noted.
It will take GM JJ a few years to screw this up.

Everyone knows Jimmy Johnson built our 1990's dynasty. After he left it was a 10 year debacle for GM JJ

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Nors;1807091 said:
GM is about talent. Game over comparing 2002 roster versus 2007 roster. Thats on GM Parcells
Ummm...Parcells wasn't the GM.

GM Jerry is the one who signed and drafted these players.

Everyone knows Jimmy Johnson built our 1990's dynasty. After he left it was a 10 year debacle for GM JJ
You mean the Jimmy Johnson that didn't want to draft Troy Aikman? Thank goodness we had GM Jerry to overrule that decision.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
theogt;1807035 said:
I think he means a GM that makes all the personnel decisions, not a coach that has influence in the decision (just like they have now).

I think he was talking about how we all use to complain about Jerry's personnel decisions. He is still wondering if we still want some else to make those or given the current talent on the team are we going to get off Jerry's back.

I was saying I am not sure because BP has a lot to do with the current talent and Im taking a wait and see attitude.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doomsday;1807106 said:
I think he was talking about how we all use to complain about Jerry's personnel decisions. He is still wondering if we still want some else to make those or given the current talent on the team are we going to get off Jerry's back.

I was saying I am not sure because BP has a lot to do with the current talent and Im taking a wait and see attitude.
Yeah. People quickly jumped on that Leonard Davis signing. The old Jerry was back we heard. LOL. Yeah, keep waiting.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nors;1807091 said:

Parcells did a GREAT job here...you have to give him his credit. However, similar to Gibbs, the game has passed him by...

But to think that Jerra will screw it all up, again...I really doubt that.

Unless Jerra is a completely idiot after learning from Coach JJ and the Tuna, and knowing how to build a mulit-billion life? Naw...Jerrry Jones is not an idiot..

;)

Jerry struck gold, or oil, or Lombardi's...he knows.

:D

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
JJ and Lacewells record as GM after Jimmy Johnson was HORRID.

Parcells was clearly a big part of our roster overhaul.

Proof in the pudding forward with JJ back unchecked as a "GM"