Does Dallas need to hire a GM?

gollum

Reaction score
Doomsday;1807106 said:
I think he was talking about how we all use to complain about Jerry's personnel decisions. He is still wondering if we still want some else to make those or given the current talent on the team are we going to get off Jerry's back.

Exactly what I was saying Dooms. Just curious if those who were screaming for a REAL football man for years are still screaming.

J-DOG

Reaction score
theogt;1807081 said:
Wade isn't riding a wave. Wade is doing what Parcells could not.
I agree with that.
However I do see how the talent has been upgraded since Parcells has been with the team.
Parcells problems were not with personnel but with not using that personnel in the best way for players to succeed.
Our offense and our pass rush are prime examples of what was wrong with Parcells coaching style while he was with the Cowboys.
I know we were 4th in the league in offense last year with Parcells calling the shots last year but anyone who has watched the games over the past two years knows that we were very conservative to the point that we played a lot more games that were closer than they should have been.
Wade has made this team a lot better chemistry-wise and has given our defense a fighting chance every game with his new scheme. How many guys do we see playing better this year than last year???
TO
Canty
Ellis
Ratliff
Bradie James
Witten
Flo
Kosier
Romo
Watkins
Reeves
Crayton
Spears
Hatcher
The list keeps growing.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Nors;1807113 said:
JJ and Lacewells record as GM after Jimmy Johnson was HORRID.

Parcells was clearly a big part of our roster overhaul.

Proof in the pudding forward with JJ back unchecked as a "GM"
Sometimes it seems as if English is a second language for you.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
theogt;1807095 said:
Ummm...Parcells wasn't the GM.

GM Jerry is the one who signed and drafted these players.

You mean the Jimmy Johnson that didn't want to draft Troy Aikman? Thank goodness we had GM Jerry to overrule that decision.

"Parcells built this team" is all some people have to hang their hats on. They tied a lot of credibility into Parcells being a soopergenius. When he turned out to be an abject failure as the Head Coach of the Cowboys, they've tried to say that he was the de facto GM when he wasn't and never was. He asked for things and had some influence but nothing like they want to imagine.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to understand that Parcells didn't want Owens. Owens is on the team. Who was the GM again?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
theogt;1807125 said:

That's how the Pats fool you, theogt! :laugh2:

sandy007

Reaction score
What about Jerry hiring Wade so you know who can move up to head coach, and stay with the Cowboys. However, I doubt that he will hire one.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;1807146 said:
"Parcells built this team" is all some people have to hang their hats on. They tied a lot of credibility into Parcells being a soopergenius. When he turned out to be an abject failure as the Head Coach of the Cowboys, they've tried to say that he was the de facto GM when he wasn't and never was. He asked for things and had some influence but nothing like they want to imagine.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to understand that Parcells didn't want Owens. Owens is on the team. Who was the GM again?

You make some valid points, but even Jerry admitted that Parcell's changed the whole culture at Valley Ranch. Lets not be quick to dismiss Parcells impact on this roster. I will also give Jerry credit for making some tough decisions and for having his hand in the mix.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Parcells, Jeff Ireland and Jerry built this team. Remember it was Parcells who wanted to take Spears ahead of Ware. Most guys won't to give him all the credit and it isn't right. Even though he help built this team, he couldn't have done it without Jerry and Jeff.

By the way, this great talent that they assembled has underachieved until this year. In which our GM(Jerry) went and got a coach to handle his players and fix this underachieving defense and a OC he pluck by hand. He also went out and signed a guy to solidify his oline, and stealing Hamlin for peanuts. I won't even get into how he went and got TO. So give Jerry some credit.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1807125 said:

I am of Norsk descent - I like to shorten and get to the point.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
sandy007;1807195 said:
What about Jerry hiring Wade so you know who can move up to head coach, and stay with the Cowboys. However, I doubt that he will hire one.

Great hire in Wade Phillips. I was 10000000% against hiring Norvel...... Had we done that Nutt might be our coach next year.

Lets not deflect or ignore the impact Parcells the GM had on this ORGANIZATION in his tenure. We can only hope Ireland, like Pioli can continue to build on what he was taught and JJ stays on the reservation....

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Nors;1807383 said:
I am of Norsk descent - I like to shorten and get to the point.
Yeah, tha'ts fine. As long as you make sense while doing it. Your statement was incomprehensible.

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry is also the one that put Jason Garrett on the map, and did everything in his power to get him here to open up the offense. Because of that move, T.O. is the man offensively.

He signed Romo during the bye, and most people predicted he would wait it out. He brought in Leonard Davis which cemented our line. And last but not least, Wade Phillips. While most people were against Norv, that doesn't logically mean that Phillips was the obvious choice.

When it was announced, people had really forgotten Wade, who was the first coach interviewed. They were all for the DC from Chicago, or Singletary from SF, or some other 'young' coach.

Jerry is doing just fine...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;1807406 said:
Jerry is also the one that put Jason Garrett on the map, and did everything in his power to get him here to open up the offense. Because of that move, T.O. is the man offensively.

He signed Romo during the bye, and most people predicted he would wait it out. He brought in Leonard Davis which cemented our line. And last but not least, Wade Phillips. While most people were against Norv, that doesn't logically mean that Phillips was the obvious choice.

When it was announced, people had really forgotten Wade, who was the first coach interviewed. They were all for the DC from Chicago, or Singletary from SF, or some other 'young' coach.

Jerry is doing just fine...

it was pretty obvious since we invested alot of pieces in our 3-4 D, while our O was pretty much set

Daudr

Reaction score
gollum;1807000 said:
I purposely ask that now because this has been the mantra for years when we were struggling. How about now when we are 11-1?

Jerry seems to have a knack for getting that player we need to get us over the top. He did it with Charles Haley, Deion Sanders, and now with TO and Leonard Davis. I'd say he's doing okay with the help of his coaches.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Nors;1807443 said:
Slightly different dialect - but in the Nors family.
This is the mental image I'm getting when you post...

Rainn_Wilson.jpg