Does Darren Woodson make the Hall of Fame?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I know it's difficult for safeties to make the Hall of Fame.
But does Darren Woodson have the numbers, and do you think his ascension as football commentator will help him be nominated to the Hall of Fame and ultimately get there?

GhettoxCowboy

Dem Boyz
Reaction score
darren woodson will maybe make the hall of fame someday but not soon. there are 2 many other guys ahead of him that had better carrers

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
he wont make it even though he should. just like he didnt get into the pro bowls when the cowboys were bad, he wont get into the HoF.

its a shame

AbeBeta

Reaction score
no.

good but not HoF great.

not even close in my opinion.

VirusX

Reaction score
I think he was very underrated at his position. I think he should get in, but he is a cowboy so it is unlikely. He has my vote though. Woody is one of my all-time favorite cowboys.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
I know it's difficult for safeties to make the Hall of Fame.
But does Darren Woodson have the numbers, and do you think his ascension as football commentator will help him be nominated to the Hall of Fame and ultimately get there?

just like you said... it's difficult for a safety to make "the hall". coupla years i ago i did a search and found that there were only like 5 or 6 inducted to that point. safety seems to be an undervalued position.

woodson was as solid as anybody they have in there now. brutal in run-support, fluid in coverage, and with a playmaker's nose for the ball. we're still looking for a guy to adequately replace him. just adequate.

someday "joe ballotbox" and "licensed, ordained, football beatwriter" may get it. as of today...? nary a clue.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
woodson was as solid as anybody they have in there now. brutal in run-support, fluid in coverage, and with a playmaker's nose for the ball. were still looking for a guy to adequately replace him. just adequate.

thats a very well put assessment of him. the fact that he still has not been replaced speaks volumes for how talented and important to this team he was.

i think the fact that he did it without the constant media attention for whatever reasons (sean taylor) made people fail to recognize how good he really was.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
thats a very well put assessment of him. the fact that he still has not been replaced speaks volumes for how talented and important to this team he was.

i think the fact that he did it without the constant media attention for whatever reasons (sean taylor) made people fail to recognize how good he really was.

at least we get it, Future. these talented kamikazes are your defenses "bridge" between run and pass defense. NOT the more highly-touted linebacker position.

all hail the safety... footballs oft-overlooked men.

DallasKen

Reaction score
No way Woodson makes it. I think he should be considered. But it's not even close. He won't make it.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
Future 585 said:
he wont make it even though he should. just like he didnt get into the pro bowls when the cowboys were bad, he wont get into the HoF.

its a shame
Exactly

burmafrd

Reaction score
I am still amazed at how many so called experts on this board even do not realize just how good Woody was. But then the ones that downgrade him I have never had much respect for anyway- this just proves they don't know as much as they claim.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
He should, if the voters vote objectively. But he's a Dallas Cowboy, meaning the anti-Cowboy bias wil vote him out of the HOF. And that will be a sad outcome.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
A great player but not HoF-worthy IMO.

Now if he had played for the Stealers, Packers, 49ERs, Dolphins, etc. then he might have a chance, but as a Cowboy... not bloody likely.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Probably not. If he had made the 90's All-Decade Team, like he should have, over Ronnie Lott then he would have a better chance. Unfortunately the moronic voters selected Lott, who only had a couple of decent seasons in the 90's, instead of Woodson. Woody was a hell of a player, but I think he was just shy of HOF great.

flashback

Real Man of Genius
Reaction score
Keep an eye on Leroy Butler. If Butler gets on the ballot, and has an easy time making it in, then Woody has a chance. If Butler gets no play, then you might as well forget Woody gettting in.

Now, Woodson is also one of my favorite Cowboys, and I think he was a better safety than Butler, and I'd take him over Butler every day and twice on Sunday. But Butler has more sacks and INTs than Woodson, and he's also credited with inventing the "Lambeau Leap."

If people looked at what Woodson did for the Cowboys on 2 SuperBowl teams, playing the run, defending slot WRs, and the Cowboys secondary all through the '90s, (remember the year Kevin Smith and Deion were just shutting out everybody, but all we could do on offense was kick FGs?) then he should get some consideration. But facts and knowledge won't sway these HOF voters. Ask Bob Hayes.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
flashback said:
Now, Woodson is also one of my favorite Cowboys, and I think he was a better safety than Butler, and I'd take him over Butler every day and twice on Sunday. But Butler has more sacks and INTs than Woodson, and he's also credited with inventing the "Lambeau Leap."

I thought Robert Brooks created the "Lambeau Leap." :confused:

Speaking of Woodson, I remember Jimmy Johnson saying that Woodson was so good and progressed so quickly as a pro, he regretted not having started Woodson earlier in his rookie season.

sacase

Reaction score
Greata Cowboy but just not HoF great. You have to revolutionize a position or be top 3 all time to really be considered for the HoF