Does Demarcus Lawrence's strip-sack make his rookie season a success?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I almost posted this as "would you trade a third round draft pick if it meant the player you got back gave you a winning play in the wild-card round of the playoffs at least one time?" But I felt like that was a bit too hypothetical.

There is no doubt that Lawrence's pass rush hasn't really showed up a ton, but that he has been STOUT against the run. He also had to catch up from no training camp, etc. But after watching the sack against Detroit, it's like something clicked if even for that play only. Usually I feel like he does one of two things - he tries for a bull rush, or he tries for a speed rush (which is pretty bad because he doesn't get off the snap too often). I am not generally convinced that he is consistently playing the run in these situations, either through coaching or something, because this was 4th down, 100% pass and his job was to get the QB. Well what does he do?

• He challenges the outside shoulder of the tackle, who prematurely boxes out.
  • He uses his hands to bat them off
  • The power lunge to reach the QB - this is an important move to springboard and gives the extra half second burst when the QB is about to pass.
Lawrence.gif

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Also looking at it I almost think the RT was expecting help from Bush, who bailed VERY quickly.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
He deserves a full year to be graded even with that play. What's really amazing is how he went from the sack to the ball.
He wasn't going to be denied.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Too early to tell. As @Dave_in-NC said...he has not played a full year yet due to injury so we will know more later. Plus not just playing a full year but even having a meaningful offseason.

Word is that he did improve in the weight room over the year but that still is not the same as going through a full offseason doing everything and learning as well.

boysfanindc

Reaction score
Not on this fumble recovery, but the earlier one he lost, did you see how Wilcox got on him, it was like Wilcox was shot out of a cannon to tell him what he did wrong.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Too early to tell. As @Dave_in-NC said...he has not played a full year yet due to injury so we will know more later. Plus not just playing a full year but even having a meaningful offseason.

Word is that he did improve in the weight room over the year but that still is not the same as going through a full offseason doing everything and learning as well.

I think the weight room manifested itself in the run. The pass rush isn't there yet but the guy has been great against the run, something I didn't expect of him coming out of Boise.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
He'll have to develop some other moves besides a bull rush to become a consistent factor as a passrusher.
That'll come during the offseason and the next training camp. It's encouraging to see he's improving, however.
Having a variety of passrush moves is the best way to keep an OT off balance. It'll come in time if he works hard.

Last edited:

Derinyar

Reaction score
He's shown the flash or two every one was hoping to see. If we get lucky we see another flash this week. At the stage he's at you should still be hoping to see a flash every week or two. Hopefully he stays healthy this off season and has a great camp and starts coming into his own early next year.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I almost posted this as "would you trade a third round draft pick if it meant the player you got back gave you a winning play in the wild-card round of the playoffs at least one time?" But I felt like that was a bit too hypothetical.

There is no doubt that Lawrence's pass rush hasn't really showed up a ton, but that he has been STOUT against the run. He also had to catch up from no training camp, etc. But after watching the sack against Detroit, it's like something clicked if even for that play only. Usually I feel like he does one of two things - he tries for a bull rush, or he tries for a speed rush (which is pretty bad because he doesn't get off the snap too often). I am not generally convinced that he is consistently playing the run in these situations, either through coaching or something, because this was 4th down, 100% pass and his job was to get the QB. Well what does he do?

• The power lunge to reach the QB - this is an important move to springboard and gives the extra half second burst when the QB is about to pass.
Lawrence.gif

I wouldn't judge his value based on the season. I'd judge him by what he is doing now. I'd say he is contributing and contributing well.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Lawrence.gif

It's a much better indicator of his talent than just falling on the fumble would have been.

That was a textbook pass rushing move and one that many many college speed rushers can't make because of the power and leverage required.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
He'll have to develop some other moves besides a bull rush to become a consistent factor as a passrusher.
That'll come during the offseason and the next training camp. It's encouraging to see he's improving, however.
Having a variety of passrush moves is the best way to keep an OT off balance. It'll come in time if he works hard.

It's a much better indicator of his talent than just falling on the fumble would have been.

That was a textbook pass rushing move and one that many many college speed rushers can't make because of the power and leverage required.

This is what encourages me. I've been waiting to see technique and it finally showed up.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I tell you what...he looked like a "pro" on that play. That was a "grown man" pass rush. It had all the traits you want to see in a pass rusher bottled up in one play. Perhaps the adrenaline was pumping because of the mistake he made earlier....but you just hope he plays like his pants are on fire without the mental gaffe. He seems ideal for 2 min drills at this point.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The fact he rebounded from his Lett moment gave me a lot of hope he will use this moment as a starting point for being the player I thougbt he would be.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I tell you what...he looked like a "pro" on that play. That was a "grown man" pass rush. It had all the traits you want to see in a pass rusher bottled up in one play. Perhaps the adrenaline was pumping because of the mistake he made earlier....but you just hope he plays like his pants are on fire without the mental gaffe. He seems ideal for 2 min drills at this point.

Right now I like him for running downs and spelling at the end of the game when the pass is coming. I would like to see him play pass a little ahead of run, but we'll see.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
@xwalker

You have all 22 right? Who was Stafford targeting this play? Whoever it was, Stafford stared him down. I'd like to know if it looks like it would be an easy pass?

Givincer

Reaction score
Well it's pretty hard to think of a more impactful play he could've made in the game or season. I'd say it does make his rookie season a success. However I don't think it would've been a failure without this play. Missing all of the training camp and the first half of the season is huge for a rookie, I think.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Well it's pretty hard to think of a more impactful play he could've made in the game or season. I'd say it does make his rookie season a success. However I don't think it would've been a failure without this play. Missing all of the training camp and the first half of the season is huge for a rookie, I think.

Yeah, I don't mean to say it flipped from failure to success, but it went from unknown to whoa, he made some impact!