Does Jerry Jones really want to win a championship?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Haven't had a real HC since Parcells and his years were wasted with Testiverde and Quincy Carter.

Big_D

Reaction score
It doesn't even matter at this point. He simply doesn't win. All the wishing in the world won't change that. His want to win doesn't outweigh his lack of actually doing what it takes to get there.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
to win a championship you have to be committed to doing every thing it takes to win and rely on other people to help you jerry and son have no such desire to do these things they just want to shear the sheep and make money and talk in front of every mic they see you have to know what u are doing history tells us that jerry and son have no idea

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
I don't understand how a business man like Jerry Jones doesn't run this place like a business. Businesses are always looking for ways to cut cost while staying productive.

Re-signing Zeke was a mistake without first seeing what you had in Pollard and Webber.

Re-signing DLaw was a mistake because the draft that year was loaded at DE.

Re-signing JSmith was not a bad deal at the time, but he hasn't lived up to that contract. So it's time to cut bait and run.

And don't get me started on TCrawford.

Its just been one bad deal after the next with this guy.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
No ...... he only wants to win if he and his idiot son get all the credit.

plasticman

Reaction score
That is part of his goal. The important part is that he receives full credit for building the team, hiring coaches that answer directly to him and providing the environment for their success.

Jerry Jones will not allow a Super Bowl winning team unless he was the architect....which is where we reach the contradiction.

Jerry has proven over 25 years that he can't sustain a winning team built by another, much less build the team himself.

So yes, he wants to win but his conditions make it impossible. He is the Great Destroyer.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
In my opinion there are two types of football players. The ones who want to win a ring. And the ones who just want to play for the money. Yes there is a third type that want both . But the point is where does Jerry Jones fit into this , Are GM . Jerry has always been loyal to his players. It seams he’s not always been loyal to winning a championship. Until he runs his team with only one goal in mind. We will be the same old Cowboys. Competitive. But not Super Bowl Worthy.

I think you nailed it with that comment (i marked it in bold letters).

JJ is not about winning a SB.
He is about making money and having power. Everything he does is achieving or consolidate both of those. His son is the same.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yup. Jerry strives for personal acceptance as a football guy. Winning a super bowl is way down on his list, and he's only interested in it if means he gets personal accolades. It's frickin' sick.
Jerry is only 78, thats kind of hard to believe actually.
Arent we supposed to become wiser with age?
Jerry is still very wise, he is a billionaire still making big money off of this loyal fan base.
So the question still remains, does Jerry value a trophy more than the revenue?
The answer is that Jerry has always been more of a businessman than a talent evaluator, he really has no clue still how to run the biggest sports franchise on the planet... thats called being crazy rich.

Last edited:

birdwells1

Reaction score
@Whirlwin The GM puts the team together. The team has had enough talent and coaching to succeed. The players have failed, not the GM.

Quit looking at the GM for excuses why the players fail to execute. Yes, the GM has made some mistakes just like every other GM out there. It is the players who win or lose on the field. Jerry believed in Zeke and caved when he went to Cabo instead of camp. Zeke-lovers here mostly agreed with paying him. Jerry appeased the fans and believed in Zeke. For that, Jerry is at fault. Zeke only cares about the money. That is mostly on Zeke, who does not have the heart of a champion, and the Zeke-lovers who care more about the player than the team.

In my opinion, too many fans are quick to blame the GM and not the players. Dak, Zeke, Cooper, et al need to go out there and win a championship. Fans need to stop making excuses for the star players. The players just lack the desire and are content. It comes from within or it doesn’t come at all. Dak, Zeke, Cooper et al need to lead. They are most responsible for the culture and attitude of the team. Not the GM.

The attitude and the culture is the same as it was before they got here, coaches and front office sets the culture.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Jerry sucks as a GM but there is no better way to be "relevant and interesting" than to win championships (and Jerry knows this better than anyone). That quote does not prove he doesn't care about winning but the opposite. By the way, Jerry would also make much more money if the Cowboys won a championship so this also applies to the "Jerry just cares about money" argument.

Jerry realizes that if the Cowboys win a Super Bowl it would be a financial windfall like he has never seen, merchandise, ticket prices and sponsors. Jerry also realizes that after 25 years he can't go the "winning a Super Bowl" route to a windfall so he turned into a carnival barker and took the emphasis off winning and placed it on marketing. Jerry hasn't given up but he's comfortable with the way the Cowboys are right now, very profitable.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No ...... he only wants to win if he and his idiot son get all the credit.
They only get it if we are all stupid enough to give it.
If it was just the fan base here on this forum that reflected Jerrys income he would be in serious trouble,, this is your microcosm of smart fan base, despite what some may say about stupid posters,,, this is the smart house...lol
Jerrys makes his money off of ignorant society, that loves them some Cowboys on Sunday, and go to KFC, and grab a six pack while your at it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really want to lose a few pounds. However, I don't want to make the sacrifices necessary to accomplish that.

Want to without action is wishing.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I disagree. It was Garrett's incompetence that exaggerated Jerry's. He could have done much more with the teams he had, and he showed incompetence and the inability to lead.
For 13 years the Cowboys had zero leadership from the most important position- head coach.
Could’ve done much more with the team he had. Tell that to the Tony Romo fans. They don’t think he had anything to work with. He just don’t like Jason and I get that. I’m not necessarily a big fan either. But I know the locker room had his back. And then he lost it and everything went downhill. Especially after the Elliot fiascoes

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Actually all he ever says is all he cares about is winning. He literally comes to tears talking about it. He obviously hasn’t been successful the last 26 years.
I think people make up stuff in their head to justify their own personal agenda. When you watch a game and see him in hos booth....you can tell he hates losing and loves winning. If you want to infer "relevance" about it....okay. And if you do...what greater relevance can you get than a Super Bowl?

Jerry wants to win. Does he let other things get in the way? Hmm...well maybe. But it isn't lack of wanting to win.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
I don't understand how a business man like Jerry Jones doesn't run this place like a business. Businesses are always looking for ways to cut cost while staying productive.

Re-signing Zeke was a mistake without first seeing what you had in Pollard and Webber.

Re-signing DLaw was a mistake because the draft that year was loaded at DE.

Re-signing JSmith was not a bad deal at the time, but he hasn't lived up to that contract. So it's time to cut bait and run.

And don't get me started on TCrawford.

Its just been one bad deal after the next with this guy.

I just think Jerry had a ghost guy running his business. No way he's this inept running a team and the opposite great running a business. If the Dallas Cowboys were a business on the field. They'd be bankrupt.