Twitter: Does Jerry reach out to Payton once again

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
We need a coach who walks in the door with that kind of gravitas, and keeps Jerry out of any coaching-related role of any kind so that all of the accountability among the staff and players is to the head coach.

That is Qualification #1.

I don't recall seeing anything Jerry did to meddle in the way Garrett coached. Jerry involved in the draft is not meddling. He istens to the scouts and coaches and the group comes to a decision. If there is disagreement, then Jerry can break the tie. That is not meddling. Jerry wasn't telling Garrett who to play, what plays to call, how to practice, etc.

Garrett was an absolute failure because he sucked as a coach and his game plans were absolute stale garbage. Not because Jerry meddled in his coaching affairs and stepped on his toes.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
TO. If I remember correctly, Parcells said he would not be here if he did not want him here. I don't believe Jerry forced TO on Parcells. Been a long while though. Some may remember better than me.

It never seemed like it regardless what was said publicly.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
It never seemed like it regardless what was said publicly.

Parcells also told his players to not pay attention to anything in the media. Only those who were inside with the team at the time knew the truth. What you saw in the media was not the truth. Parcells, like Johnson, was a master of the psych games.

lwehlers

Reaction score
TO. If I remember correctly, Parcells said he would not be here if he did not want him here. I don't believe Jerry forced TO on Parcells. Been a long while though. Some may remember better than me.
I also do not think that parcells cared about TO being on the team. TO was less then a headache more then what taylor was when he coached the giants.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I don't recall seeing anything Jerry did to meddle in the way Garrett coached... Jerry wasn't telling Garrett who to play, what plays to call, how to practice, etc.

You're more narrowly defining meddling to be exclusively "who to play, what plays to call, how to practice, etc."

Some of us, notably Troy Aikman included, consider it overstepping into the head coach's area when an owner/GM does anything that makes the players and staff more accountable to him than to the head coach.

And, Jerry himself admitted to deserve blame in the 2019 tragedy, ostensibly for having denied Red's want to call his own plays in 2019.

Jerry involved in the draft is not meddling. He istens to the scouts and coaches and the group comes to a decision. If there is disagreement, then Jerry can break the tie. That is not meddling.

Strawman. I don't disagree with any of this. You're not conversing with someone who has not essentially said this same thing as reason arose to say it. I'm more known for defending the decision-makers/authorities than I am for criticizing them. I'm a decision-maker/authority in my profession, so to some degree, that comes naturally. Onlookers/outsiders often fail to have all the information necessary to understand why option A was better than options B or C, and I go into those things assuming the benefit of a doubt.

Jerry has been a helicopter parent to all of his coaches not named Johnson or Parcells, though. That is self-evident by the structure that we've seen, and decisions made.

As Aikman said... who has a closer perspective than you or I ever would anyhow... "why not go back to what has worked when we were winning Super Bowls?"

Aikman is right.

MikeB80

Reaction score
I also do not think that parcells cared about TO being on the team. TO was less then a headache more then what taylor was when he coached the giants.

i dont know about that. Parcells told laufenberg he fined owens more than any player in a single season he had ever coached.

Owens got signed then declared he was going to be busy and would miss a bunch of mini camp. Then he had that whatever breakdown he had and took all those pills.

Jerry brought owens here and essentially forced johnson out.

Owens reported to jerry. That was the difference between owens and all the other players here. that was not what parcells signed up for. He looked miserable through the whole season until the week of thanksgiving when they beat indy and tampa. Then he started to realize the team had a shot.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Parcells also told his players to not pay attention to anything in the media. Only those who were inside with the team at the time knew the truth. What you saw in the media was not the truth. Parcells, like Johnson, was a master of the psych games.

I dont disagree with that, just dont think Parcells was 100% in on TO being in Dallas.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do people think Payton would want to come to Dallas even if he could? Which he can’t.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Except Dallas isn't chopped liver.

I'm absolutely not saying it would happen, but I am saying it's absurd to get to this point and say, "Oh well, not even going to pursue that."
Because when/if Saints start sucking no one will care. In Dallas even 5-11 the Cowboys are relevant.