Does the Draft Tell us if T. Smith Moves to Tackle?

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Could our first pick in the draft tip us off on what the plans are for Tyler Smith?

Statements by the Joneses aren’t completely congruent in terms of what position the current LG will be playing next year. Is there a scenario where a can’t pass on, non-Oline talent, falls in the lap of the Cowboys at 24 which forces the prudent move of shifting Smith to Tackle?

Of course, I’m going down this path believing the organization is locked-in to taking a Tackle (no longer center as an option with JPJ surely the board) with their first selection – perhaps their thought process is very different (my mistake). For arguments sake, what if a DT like Murphy (realistic mid-teens selection) inexplicably drops to 24, or if you believe a big play talent like Brian Thomas Jr. makes CD Lamb even more dangerous, or maybe you like the athletic Nate Wiggins as CB may be a sneaky need. Would passing on first round Tackle talent signify recognition by the Joneses that TS is the best option to play LT in 2024 season?

I think being willing to move TS to Tackle opens the door to taking BPA (be realistic – no QB selection) at 24. It’s an easy statement for me to make due to my belief that even if a Tackle is drafted in the 1st, Tyler is STILL the best Tackle on the roster provided the other T. Smith is gone.

So, given the hypothetical that a DT, CB, or for my argument I’ll say BT Jr. is selected (pick your player) at 24, which of the following is more likely:
  1. TS is moving to Tackle, and a current player or 2nd /3rd round draftee will be playing LG.
  2. TS stays at LG and a current player or draftee will play tackle.
  3. The selection of Graham Barton throws a monkey wrench into this as his position flex affords the Cowboys the option of playing him at Guard or Center.
  4. Out of left field option: The starting LT for 2024 isn’t currently on the roster and will NOT come from the draft class.
To those that have stated they’re skipping or don’t care about the draft due to Jones family high jinks, I get it, but I would suggest that you reconsider. I’m into all the combine, senior bowl, and pro day (less preferred as the comfort level is geared more to the player) garbage as it just builds to my enjoyment of the NFL draft. Don’t let the perennial Jones family pre-draft antics curb your enthusiasm for the selections of future Cowboys players.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
Could our first pick in the draft tip us off on what the plans are for Tyler Smith?

Statements by the Joneses aren’t completely congruent in terms of what position the current LG will be playing next year. Is there a scenario where a can’t pass on, non-Oline talent, falls in the lap of the Cowboys at 24 which forces the prudent move of shifting Smith to Tackle?

Of course, I’m going down this path believing the organization is locked-in to taking a Tackle (no longer center as an option with JPJ surely the board) with their first selection – perhaps their thought process is very different (my mistake). For arguments sake, what if a DT like Murphy (realistic mid-teens selection) inexplicably drops to 24, or if you believe a big play talent like Brian Thomas Jr. makes CD Lamb even more dangerous, or maybe you like the athletic Nate Wiggins as CB may be a sneaky need. Would passing on first round Tackle talent signify recognition by the Joneses that TS is the best option to play LT in 2024 season?

I think being willing to move TS to Tackle opens the door to taking BPA (be realistic – no QB selection) at 24. It’s an easy statement for me to make due to my belief that even if a Tackle is drafted in the 1st, Tyler is STILL the best Tackle on the roster provided the other T. Smith is gone.

So, given the hypothetical that a DT, CB, or for my argument I’ll say BT Jr. is selected (pick your player) at 24, which of the following is more likely:
  1. TS is moving to Tackle, and a current player or 2nd /3rd round draftee will be playing LG.
  3. The selection of Graham Barton throws a monkey wrench into this as his position flex affords the Cowboys the option of playing him at Guard or Center.
  4. Out of left field option: The starting LT for 2024 isn’t currently on the roster and will NOT come from the draft class.
To those that have stated they’re skipping or don’t care about the draft due to Jones family high jinks, I get it, but I would suggest that you reconsider. I’m into all the combine, senior bowl, and pro day (less preferred as the comfort level is geared more to the player) garbage as it just builds to my enjoyment of the NFL draft. Don’t let the perennial Jones family pre-draft antics curb your enthusiasm for the selections of future Cowboys players.
I think option #1 is the most likely route. For me the three players I would consider other than OL would be BTJ, Murphy or Newton. I don’t think this team will take an OL that cannot be a day 1 starter.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The combine formal visits list is a ton of OTs and very little OGs. Gut says they’re hunting OTs early in the draft and want to keep Tyler at LG…which is smart.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course. That's probably how they look at it. Tyler Smith gives them the option of going outside or inside OL at 24.

The problem with that is this is drafting for need. They can not bypass another CeeDee Lamb type falling in their lap. They also can not risk not getting OL help early in this draft if they don't address it in FA.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
The problem with that is this is drafting for need. They can not bypass another CeeDee Lamb type falling in their lap. They also can not risk not getting OL help early in this draft if they don't address it in FA.
Just say what you mean.

If Cooper Dejean is there, you want Jerry spiriting to turn the card in.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Of course. That's probably how they look at it. Tyler Smith gives them the option of going outside or inside OL at 24.

I’d bet a large sum of money we draft OL in round 1 and a higher rated player is available. It’s the Cowboys way.

Chasing6

Reaction score

The draft tells us there are a lot of OT's in round 1. We need a OT, so let's watch GM Jeruh draft a CB.

Beaker42

Reaction score

You’re forgetting Asim Richards.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
He would fall under option 2 I posted - current player or draftee playing tackle. I just wonder if the Cowboys forget him. I wouldn’t have minded seeing him last year instead of Edoga.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys had their eye on him way before the draft. I remember after the draft a Cowboys scout said he showed the potential to be a starter once he learned the system and got stronger.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
At some point this team has to find out what we have in guys like Richards and Bass. If the team takes a G/T type in round 1 then that tells will speak volumes.