Dolphins' Seau uses gay slur in banquet remarks...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
D@mn we have become an overly sensitive society... I think the original title was more like...

Seau, who plays with former Dallas Cowboy Orande Gadsden, uses gay slur in banquet...

Dolphins linebacker Junior Seau used a slur toward homosexuals during a speech Wednesday night at the team's kickoff banquet at the Signature Grand.

While accepting the team's leadership award, as voted by Dolphins players, Seau used the slur when describing the camaraderie between him and his teammates.
"This is a great group of guys we have on this team," Seau said. "You have to understand. In that locker room, there is no color barrier. We do not have a color barrier. We are a unit that cares. The reason I say cares is because it's so hard to let things go when you care.

"I would say love and everybody would say you're a faggot, but I'm not. We care in that locker room. My feminine side might come out once in a while, but I'm telling you, there is a lot of love in that locker room."

In a team-released statement, Seau said Wednesday night, "If any offense were taken, then I certainly will be the first to apologize."

Some did take offense.

"Unfortunately, there are a few left in our society who do not understand the differences in people," said Fort Lauderdale City Commissioner Dean Trantalis, a longtime gay rights activist. "That comment is not only offensive, but it's a putdown for anyone who is deemed different from the rest of society.

"I would hope he would find it in his heart to apologize and make others understand that in spite of the differences that people have, we all come to accept them and live with one another and not try to find fault and cast aspersions. I would hope the management and leadership of that organization would make a point to at least show their courage and disavow any association with that feeling toward the gay and lesbian community."

The incident marked the second time since Seau joined the Dolphins last season that he made what could be considered an offensive comment. When describing how to slow down standout San Diego running back LaDainian Tomlinson before a game last season, Seau said, "You just befriend him. You give him couple of pieces of watermelon, load him up with some fried chicken and say, `Keep eating.'"

Tomlinson, who is black, said he didn't view the comments as stereotyping or offensive. Seau, who is a close friend of Tomlinson's, apologized and said he never intended for his comments to get construed as a racial insult.

Seau is considered one of the NFL's most benevolent players. Seau was voted the NFL's Man of the Year in 1994 for his charity efforts and has his own charity foundation.​

mcnuttz

Reaction score
"Unfortunately, there are a few left in our society who do not understand the differences in people," said Fort Lauderdale City Commissioner Dean Trantalis, a longtime gay rights activist. "That comment is not only offensive, but it's a putdown for anyone who is deemed different from the rest of society.

How gay.......

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
Can't tolerance work both ways? Shouldn't we still be tolerant of those who aren't tolerant of others?

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
mcnuttz said:

How gay.......

This statement is so dumb. This shmuck said, refering to the slur, that it a putdown for anyone who is deemed different from the rest of society. Since when did anyone ever call a homeless person a Fa*ot? Or anyone else that doesn't fit into the norm? This guy just wants to make this a war for all of those who are outside of societal bounds. (not that there's anything wrong with that). But it is clear that the only group Seau was refering to was gays. Not anyone who is deemed different. What a dipstick.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
So what! I've been called cracker, whitey, and many worse names than that...Who cares....it doesn't even sound as though he is referring to homo's (kind of like the comment made last year about Bill parcells by Shockey). Shockey was saying Bill sucked a penus(es)...it was a manner of cutdown...crap talking....so what!

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
Jon88 said:
Can't tolerance work both ways? Shouldn't we still be tolerant of those who aren't tolerant of others?

The most intolerant ones are those that scream for tolerance.

Bizwah

Reaction score
This lends credence to my theory of the "whimpifiing" of America.

We are fast becoming a society of weenies.

It amazes me that we are so quick to hop on anything anyone says as "offensive".

Big whoop.

Deal with it.

It seems everyone is ready to go running to mommy if someone says something that hurts their feelings.

This sensitivity junk is getting ridiculous.

Rockybehri

Reaction score
Bizwah said:

It amazes me that we are so quick to hop on anything anyone says as "offensive".

Big whoop.

Deal with it.

It seems everyone is ready to go running to mommy if someone says something that hurts their feelings.

What do you expect? He is talking out of South Beach, Miami. The San Fransisco of the East!

mcnuttz

Reaction score
Bizwah said:

Big whoop.

Deal with it.

Hallelujah!! Preach on, brother Bizwah!! Those gays should be more tolerant of us heterosexuals. I feel that they are using their "rights" to push their sissification on the rest of the world.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Bizwah said:

Big whoop.

Deal with it.

I think it is a good think that the general population does not approve of insensitive language and behavior.

Now if the government tries to regulate the same thing, I would have a problem with it.

Public opinion is the only acceptable regulater of taboo behavior.

Jon88

Benched
Reaction score
Eric_Boyer said:
I think it is a good think that the general population does not approve of insensitive language and behavior.

Now if the government tries to regulate the same thing, I would have a problem with it.

Public opinion is the only acceptable regulater of taboo behavior.

No surprises here.