Dolphins work out South Carolina tight end Jared Cook

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Dolphins work out South Carolina tight end Jared Cook
By Omar Kelly | SunSentinel.com
6:54 PM EDT, March 30, 2009
South Carolina tight end Jared Cook left the NFL Combine with the "workout warrior" label annually given to the event's top performers.

Sometimes that "workout warrior" distinction is a blessing, which helps a team discover a hidden gem. But it could also be a curse that entices evaluators to draft an athlete earlier than his game film dictates he should be taken.

Cook, who is projected by most draft analysts as possible first day pick, is confident his skills will benefit the NFL team that selects him in April's draft.

"As long as you work hard plenty good will come out of it," said Cook, who trained at Davie based Perfect Competition. "My ability to standout in my workouts proves I'm a hard worker, and that I can do what it takes to be successful at the next level."

Related links
Stars strut stuff at NFL Combine Photos
Full coverage of the NFL Combine Cook's goal is to become the second tight end chosen, following only Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew, who is viewed as the best all-purpose tight end in the 2009 draft class.

Cook covets that "all-purpose" label Pettigrew possesses, and is working to prove he's a good blocker during his personal workout with teams. On Monday he was put through various on-field drills and given film work tests by Dolphins tight end coach George DeLeone.

Cook clearly has the strength to block considering he bench pressed 225-pounds 23 times, which was the sixth most of all the tight ends at the combine. But that wasn't the only measurable he excelled at.

Cook was the fastest tight end, clocked at 4.50 in the 40-yard dash at the combine. He vertical jumped 41 inches, and had a 10'3" broad jump.

At his Pro Day he reportedly ran 4.56 in the short shuttle, and registered a 7.25 three-cone drill. Those times would be good for receivers, so they're viewed as spectacular for a tight end who is 6-foot-5, 246-pounds.

The tight end that was bestowed the "workout warrior" label last year, Purdue's Dustin Keller, was the first tight end drafted, taken with pick No. 30 by the Jets.

"Everybody knows I'm a good athlete. But there's a lot of doubts about my ability to block. But I know what I can do. When I was in on running plays I made things happen," said Cook, who was a receiver up until his coach, Steve Spurrier, asked him to switch positions his sophomore season.

He left South Carolina early after catching 37 passes for 573 yards and three touchdowns as a junior.

Outside of the Dolphins, Cook has had private workouts for the Rams and Saints. He works out for the Browns on Tuesday, and the Jaguars on Wednesday. Next week he's scheduled to visit the Falcons. Tight end coaches from Philadelphia, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh also worked him out at South Carolina's Pro Day.

The Dolphins presently have starting tight end Anthony Fasano and backups David Martin and Joey Haynos on the roster. But all three have contracts that expire at the end of the 2009 season. So tight end could be viewed as a position of need by the Dolphins decision-makers considering the offense regularly uses two tight end sets.

If the Dolphins do target drafting a tight end early, Cook hopes he's in the mix.

"I've got the ideal combination of size and speed," he said. "I can stretch the field and I can get in line and block…. I'm just trying to prove I should be up there with the best."

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
If we did not draft Bennett last year I would not be at all opposed with taking a flyer on this kid. I'm not sure hes your protypical TE, hes more of a jacke dup WR but he is going to cause all kind of match up problems.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2709932 said:
If we did not draft Bennett last year I would not be at all opposed with taking a flyer on this kid. I'm not sure hes your protypical TE, hes more of a jacke dup WR but he is going to cause all kind of match up problems.

I draft him and put him in the slot

seriously, create a whole, new formation

5 linemen
Roy and Austin out wide
Witten and Cook in the slot
Romo
Barber
unstoppable

SDogo

Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2709934 said:
I draft him and put him in the slot

seriously

I'm sure the team that drafts him will do just that. He is only an average in line blocker and you don't want him getting tangled up in traffic.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
the only reason why i posted the article is something that vela said the other day, now with kickoffs and punt returns changing due to rules. That the cowboys may need to draft a big blocking TE or linebacker so he can excel on special teams while being groomed and helping the cowboys.

SDogo

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2709976 said:
the only reason why i posted the article is something that vela said the other day, now with kickoffs and punt returns changing due to rules. That the cowboys may need to draft a big blocking TE or linebacker so he can excel on special teams while being groomed and helping the cowboys.

I would love it but I think he will be gone to early for us to consider. John Phillips from Virginia is real possibility later. I also know the family of NC TE Richard Quinn and they said Richard was asked to meet with Dallas in April so I think they have some interest in bringing in a guy like that.