Don’t judge this team on opening night

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re right about some but there are fans that aren’t ruled by emotion as well. Look at Bob’s OP. He has a pretty good handle on things and understands that the outcome of the first game very well might have little bearing on the outcome of Dallas’ season. Maybe it does or maybe it doesn’t. We just can’t tell after 1 game.

There are examples scattered throughout NFL history. The OP outlines ways that the first game doesn’t decide the course of the season, good or bad.

We all saw New England get blown out and embarrassed in their first game against KC just a few years ago. They looked awful and everyone was talking about the downfall of Belichick and the Patriots. The media had segments asking if the Patriot dynasty was over and asking the odds of KC winning it all.

Of course we also all saw New England go on to win another super bowl that year.

If history isn’t enough to prove that the first games outcome doesn’t determine the success of the season, then common sense should. Teams have to grow together as a young group while others are veteran laden and hit the ground running. Sometimes a bad game plan can doom a team’s first game… or a great one can make a mediocre team appear great.

None of that tells us where the team will be mid season.

We all should remember 2014 when the Cowboys looked awful week one and Romo threw what seemed to be 20 interceptions in that game. SF out hit Dallas and was way more physical. Also, we should all remember that team righted itself, made a great run to the playoffs and was one of the most physical run teams in the league, beating up opponents and going undefeated on the road that season until the Dez catch/no-catch game in GB.

Frankly, people shouldn’t have to be told not to get too high or too low after week 1. We all know that the season is yet to be written after 1 game.

I don’t see emotions as a valid reason for abandoning logic and going immediately to one extreme or the other and proclaiming super bowl or toilet bowl.
Excellent post.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Mr. Haze, that is a lucid, intelligent, well-thought out objection.

This place on game night:

overruled.gif

lol you know it’s getting overruled opening night! I expect Dallas to get blown out but will still be pissed and say they suck lol

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
IMO most of the frustration (and sometimes anger) that comes from Cowboys fans who don’t like anything but cheerleading and blue skies is actually an emotional shield they have built for themselves. Like most Cowboys fans they so deeply want to win and any opinion that doesn’t support that narrative is a threat to the shield. Rational arguments can still be “threats” to what they want to happen.

To some other Cowboys fans, any preseason positivity is “kool aide”. They want to see us win too but have been burned so many times by this organization over the years, their shield is to not bite any hook of hype or promotion that suggests “this could be our year”.

There are all kinds of Cowboys fans and I’m fine with any and all fans’ take on the upcoming season. The only absolute that we can count on is this: NONE OF US KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN THIS YEAR!
The only thing I can say about your assumption/analysis of what some fans project/feel or defensive measures they may employ when threatened, is to say I don't think about it that much, in fact it wouldn't be a stretch to say at all:)
You’re right about some but there are fans that aren’t ruled by emotion as well. Look at Bob’s OP. He has a pretty good handle on things and understands that the outcome of the first game very well might have little bearing on the outcome of Dallas’ season. Maybe it does or maybe it doesn’t. We just can’t tell after 1 game.

There are examples scattered throughout NFL history. The OP outlines ways that the first game doesn’t decide the course of the season, good or bad.

We all saw New England get blown out and embarrassed in their first game against KC just a few years ago. They looked awful and everyone was talking about the downfall of Belichick and the Patriots. The media had segments asking if the Patriot dynasty was over and asking the odds of KC winning it all.

Of course we also all saw New England go on to win another super bowl that year.

If history isn’t enough to prove that the first games outcome doesn’t determine the success of the season, then common sense should. Teams have to grow together as a young group while others are veteran laden and hit the ground running. Sometimes a bad game plan can doom a team’s first game… or a great one can make a mediocre team appear great.

None of that tells us where the team will be mid season.

We all should remember 2014 when the Cowboys looked awful week one and Romo threw what seemed to be 20 interceptions in that game. SF out hit Dallas and was way more physical. Also, we should all remember that team righted itself, made a great run to the playoffs and was one of the most physical run teams in the league, beating up opponents and going undefeated on the road that season until the Dez catch/no-catch game in GB.

Frankly, people shouldn’t have to be told not to get too high or too low after week 1. We all know that the season is yet to be written after 1 game.

I don’t see emotions as a valid reason for abandoning logic and going immediately to one extreme or the other and proclaiming super bowl or toilet bowl.
you're right and you can copy and paste this because every season we refry the same beans:)

Next season Bob will post his annual warning, and I will post my annual it's waste of time because fans won't adhere to logic post:)

75boyz

Reaction score
If they win or lose...
The media will more than do it's part to remind everyone of how specific starts to the season tie into the historical percentage of making the playoffs based on the win/loss record.

With that said,
I don't think McCheese wants to start off 0-2, lol.

jmo

Hadenough

Reaction score
Can’t believe it but I am going to disagree with Bob. While he is correct in part I think we will know a lot about this team week one. It’s somewhat unique and based on the circumstances but here are a few reasons why:

1. This is Moore’s third year with this offense. Dak is back. Solid veterans all around. Exciting younger play makers. OL will be in tact. Zeke looks to be motivated. McCarthy is an offensive guru or so we are told. If this team doesn’t move the ball it’s a big problem.

2. The defense HAS to be better. I continue to believe if Gregory has a full off season he is going to ball out this year. I think that elevates the whole thing. Quinn HAS to be better than Nolan. Historically Quinn plays a pretty straightforward defense so the new playbook shouldn’t be an excuse. The LB and S play SHOULD be better. If 40 something Brady lights it up it’s a bad sign.

3. Dallas motivation has been questionable in a big spot. If they are flat to start and can’t get up for this game it’s a bad sign.

4. Will the real McCarthy please stand up. Is he the SB winning coach with a knack for winning when Rodgers was hurt or is he the bad coach he has appeared to be over his last few seasons? McCarthy made some very bad calls last year. Like really bad. I expect him to come in with a tight game plan. If not it’s a really bad sign.

So yeah I am watching this game very closely.
I pretty much agree! Dallas should not be favored to win and they aren't. But this team must put up a fight and produce on both sides of the ball. The offense cannot go out there and play like they did against the Saints, Jets, Packers and Eagles in 2019. The defense needs to show they can get pressure and get off the field on 3rd downs.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
You make valid points, but the simple fact is fans will be judging this team if they have to punt on their first offensive possession of the Hall of Fame game August 5.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Good luck with that ....... a lot of these clowns judge the team by their first possession.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Can’t believe it but I am going to disagree with Bob. While he is correct in part I think we will know a lot about this team week one. It’s somewhat unique and based on the circumstances but here are a few reasons why:

1. This is Moore’s third year with this offense. Dak is back. Solid veterans all around. Exciting younger play makers. OL will be in tact. Zeke looks to be motivated. McCarthy is an offensive guru or so we are told. If this team doesn’t move the ball it’s a big problem.

2. The defense HAS to be better. I continue to believe if Gregory has a full off season he is going to ball out this year. I think that elevates the whole thing. Quinn HAS to be better than Nolan. Historically Quinn plays a pretty straightforward defense so the new playbook shouldn’t be an excuse. The LB and S play SHOULD be better. If 40 something Brady lights it up it’s a bad sign.

3. Dallas motivation has been questionable in a big spot. If they are flat to start and can’t get up for this game it’s a bad sign.

4. Will the real McCarthy please stand up. Is he the SB winning coach with a knack for winning when Rodgers was hurt or is he the bad coach he has appeared to be over his last few seasons? McCarthy made some very bad calls last year. Like really bad. I expect him to come in with a tight game plan. If not it’s a really bad sign.

Lets not forget that this is the same defense that held Mahomes and his offense without a TD in the SB and 9 points total. Just like last year the Cowboys played the #1 defense in the NFL Rams and only scored 19 points the first game of the year.

75boyz

Reaction score

4. Nothing personal, but I think his record at GB when Rodgers was hurt was 5-10-1.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
4. Nothing personal, but I think his record at GB when Rodgers was hurt was 5-10-1.

So they go 5-10-1 without a top 5 QB of all time for about half the season. 1 year made the playoffs and just missed the other. Matt Flynn became rich because of his affiliation with McCarthy. I would say he weathered the storms decently.

JayFord

Reaction score
whos judging this team based off their first game?

the 2014 team was so bad opening day they looked like they'd finish 4-12 and ended up being 12-4

the 2017 team started off 2-0 and finished 4-12

the 2016 team started off scoring 19 points and didnt look too good then won their next 11

the 2019 team started off 3-0 and finished 5-8

2020 the team looked like crap from the first game to the end especially defense