Donovan Wilson, hidden gem?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Snacks in his prime was awesome.

(I say "was" because I didn't watch him much in 2018).

He was extremely quick for a big man.

The amount of tackles he made outside the Tackle box and out near the sidelines was incredible for any DL but even more incredible considering he was about 350 pounds.

I recommend anybody reviewing some of his game footage.

Snacks was likely quicker than A.Woods is now. He could easily play on Marinelli's DL. The issue is that they probably wouldn't have paid him (5 years 46.2M, signed in 2016).

Snacks and Poe are the quickest 340+ DL I recall watching). Quicker than many that are right around 300 even.
Yeah, they wouldn't pay that for a 1T and Marinelli would ask Snacks or any 340 pound DL to drop down to under 320 just like Woods, Covington, and Hill.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Snacks and Poe are the quickest 340+ DL I recall watching). Quicker than many that are right around 300 even.

I wanted the Cowboys to draft Poe back in 2012, but they got Claiborne, who while he was a high rated pick, couldn't stay healthy. Just wonder what would have happened if they had gotten Poe.

Oh well, just bad luck, if Claiborne had stayed healthy, could have been just as valuable...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Not many of the draft resources seem to think much of Mr. Wilson, however Frank Coyle of Draft Insiders Digest loves him. He's his hidden gem of this safety class. Frank's a lifer with legit skins on the wall so it's nice to see this.

Here's the write up. Even has him in the top 10 at the position.

-

NFL Premier Player - Harrison Smith
Blue Chip - Nasir Adderley
Blue Chip - Johnathan Abram
Blue Chip - Darnell Savage
Rising - Amani Hooker
Falling - Taylor Rapp
Underrated - Juan Thornhill
Overrated - Lukas Denis
Sleeper - Saquan Hampton
Boom/Bust - Zedrick Woods
Hidden Gem - Donovan Wilson
Over drafted - Deionte Thompson

9) Donovan Wilson #6
6-0 200 Texas A&M - Sp. 4.50

Hindu Theory: Sean Davis
Rating 78

Rangy, fifth year senior has been a key contributor on the Aggies’ defense, starting for three seasons. Made
a fine return from a 2017 injury to be a core starter for the talented Aggie defense. Former 3-star recruit
became an early contributor in sub packages and special team units. Started one game as a true freshman
before fulltime duty midway of his sophomore season. Missed the 2017 season with an opening day ankle
injury. Stepped into the starting lineup midway in 2015 as a nickel corner. Wiry physique with good
movement skills and overall athleticism. Aggressive alert playmaker with fine range and field speed that
clubs seek in a centerfielder. Displays fine read-react ability on underneath routes. Recognizes routes as
they are developing. Displays good vision for reading the QB and is a student of the game with good work
ethic and the film work to know his opponent's tendencies. Decisive attacker who does not shy away from
contact despite only average frame. Shows the agility to slip through the trash and take down runners.

Good awareness and ball-skills with the quickness to close on the ball at the catch point. Fine body control
with some impressive acrobatic diving plays. Flexible in the lower body and moves easily in the secondary
with quick change of direction. Flips his hips quickly with the ability to mirror down the field and his time at
nickel helped his coverage skills immensely. At times, looks good in his pedal and accelerates nicely out of
his breaks, losing little in transition with sound initial reads. In run support, he can at times use too sharp of
pursuit angles and miss runners. Gets out of control sometimes when breaking down to tackle on the move.
Despite good catch up speed, he can be put at a disadvantage if he takes many false steps. Sometimes
keeps his eyes on the QB too long and loses a step in coverage. Possesses the length, reach and speed
to turn and cover deep with his back to the QB. His matchup abilities with tight ends probably gets him
drafted. Tendency to be overly aggressive which causes him to give up some big plays, but his playmaking
and ball skills help him rack up his share of plays. Shows the makeup to start as single-high free safety and
make plays.

As a senior, he returned to the field from a season ending injury in the opening game of the
2017 seasons. For 2018, he started 12 games and made 66 tackles with 4.5 TFL, 1 FF, 2 sacks, 2 picks
and 3 PBU. As a junior in 2016, he started 7 games at nickel and made 59 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 1 interception
and 3 PBU. At the NFL Combine, he came in at 6’ and 199 lbs. with 33 3/8” arms and did 18 reps. He did
not run, but added a 36” VL and a 10’7” BJ with no agility drills. Finished with good positional drills. At his
pro day, he did a 38.5” VL and 6.94 three cone. Maintains sound positioning to play the back quarter with
the skills to be a starting free safety. Aggressive developing centerfielder who can drop over the slot receiver
and matchup with tight ends. Needs refinement in his decision making to become a starting centerfielder.
Rising marginal top 150 prospect with well-rounded skill set to start in time. Major college sleeper and
excellent late value to become a total surprise. Very good for early package defense and coverage units.
Hidden gem in this group.

Draft Projection: 4th-5th Round

-

I ended up sending Frank an e-mail after reading that with the subject title "Cowboys!".

Odd that he loves him as a rangy FS when the rest of the world calls him a box safety but whatevs.

Box safety with the ability to cover in man. That's what we need. He sounds like a hit. We don't need him in the centerfield now. We need a guy to replace Heath in the box.

catiii

Reaction score
I watched him play! But now that he's a pro I can't afford Jerry's limousine stajum seating so I'll have to settle for TV now. :cool:

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
D Dub has seriously impressed me. I'd not question it, if this rookie was a starter.

sbark

Reaction score
I wanted the Cowboys to draft Poe back in 2012, but they got Claiborne, who while he was a high rated pick, couldn't stay healthy. Just wonder what would have happened if they had gotten Poe.

Oh well, just bad luck, if Claiborne had stayed healthy, could have been just as valuable...
Could've taken f.cox once we traded up....