Donovan Wilson is a monster

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cowboys defense is for real.

I was really impressed with Daniel Jones last night. He handled that pressure about as well as you could.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Always liked Wilson. Fantastic player with a fantastic attitude on a fantastic contract. The type of guy that pushes teams up the ladder for sure.

Reactions: BAT

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cowboys defense is for real.

I was really impressed with Daniel Jones last night. He handled that pressure about as well as you could.
Probably one of his better games. They lost but he was Josh Allen lite out there I feel like. Sometimes the defense just has you and last night they had him.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
When he's out there and in attack mode he always is. I never seen a 4.6+ guy who always looks faster than everyone around him. His 5 yard burst is INSANE.
No one actually knows Wilsons 40 time. He never ran it. His was a slot CB at A&M (Soph year I believe), so Id be surprised if it was worse than 4.55

quickccc

Reaction score
When he’s healthy, he’s hands down the best safety on the team.

so jevon kearse has lost his starting job ..? :rolleyes:

Enjoy Donovan Wilson now ... as he'll be an Unrestricted FA in the offseason, and Stephen ain't re-signing him to a big contract.

Some NFL teams are already licking their chops in likely pursuing him.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
so jevon kearse has lost his starting job ..? :rolleyes:

Enjoy Donovan Wilson now ... as he'll be an Unrestricted FA in the offseason, and Stephen ain't re-signing him to a big contract.

Some NFL teams are already licking their chops in likely pursuing him.
He’s always made plays. His closing burst is one of the best in the game

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Wilson needs to stay at SS when Kearse gets back, his nose for ball and hostility when he gets there is infectious.

Kearse should play LB. Which is role in Big Nickel anyway.

Having both guys on field at same time as often as possible is a plus.

quickccc

Reaction score
Wilson needs to stay at SS when Kearse gets back, his nose for ball and hostility when he gets there is infectious.

Kearse cannot be your starting LB, ..that's for LVE and Barr, you have to have bigger muscle vs the run than a mere box safety ..
A box safety is an added " mini' -LB, but you want to have your front line guys first.

Quinn employs 3 safeties as a number of NFL teams do as well. but its' a win some/lose some risk thing though,

and i dunno if either are FS types that can be further away from the line and center fielding as Malik Hooker, both Kearse and Wilson are at their
most effective the closer they are to the line.
Who is the most consistent of the two ... which are more reliable in being in the right position, making the right signal calls, placing other players in position,
makes the consistent open field tackling and coverage grades

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

I felt like Kearse could have been expendable but they did say he called the defensive plays most of the time which woulda been one reason to keep him. Also wasn't sure they were gonna resign Hooker and they did. I love Wilson, Hooker and Makuamamamamamama even before the preseason so Kearse was expendable but having said that the contract wasn't that bad anyways so we are really deep at saftey for the first time in a long time.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Kearse cannot be your starting LB, ..that's for LVE and Barr, you have to have bigger muscle vs the run than a mere box safety ..
A box safety is an added " mini' -LB, but you want to have your front line guys first.

Quinn employs 3 safeties as a number of NFL teams do as well. but its' a win some/lose some risk thing though,

and i dunno if either are FS types that can be further away from the line and center fielding as Malik Hooker, both Kearse and Wilson are at their
most effective the closer they are to the line.
Who is the most consistent of the two ... which are more reliable in being in the right position, making the right signal calls, placing other players in position,
makes the consistent open field tackling and coverage grades

I disagree. Kearse is as big as Cox, both 6'4 230-ish.

But never mind size, it's his physicality that matters more.

Kearse has better run stopping grades than LVE because even though he's smaller than LVE, he is more physical and aggressive at POA and is better at stacking and shedding to make the tackle.

And Kearse is not just the vocal leader of defense, but DQ expects him to be the coach on the field. It's why Kearse wears the green dot.

Plus Kearse is better in man coverage than LVE and even reading and reaction in coverages.

If Cowboys want to play best 11 on defense then need to play Kearse. Absolute no brainer.

In fact, Kearse is the OLB/SS hybrid that everyone hopes Cox can one day become.

And FYI - playing Kearse at one OLB spot should have no effect on Barr's play time. Only LVE's.

Last edited:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
When he's out there and in attack mode he always is. I never seen a 4.6+ guy who always looks faster than everyone around him. His 5 yard burst is INSANE.

I think he is faster than 4.6. He plays as if its 4.4. I'm not sure if he even ran a 40 time.

doomsday808

Reaction score
He is all over the yard making tackles. Very under the radar player playing on the same squad as Parsons, DLaw and Diggs. His past 2 games were some of the best safety play I've seen in a while.