News: Donovan Wilson's Making a Case to be a Starter in 2021

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This article is silly. Wilson is the top playmaker we have on defense. Yes a guy who hasn't even finished his second season and is still somewhere around a dozen career starts can improve. But he has made more game changing plays than all the other players in the secondary combined. The question is not whether he should start, rather it should be who starts next to him..

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The WFT play at 3 pm. The Cowboys start at 3:25 pm. If by Halftime the WFT look to have a commanding lead and are very likely going to win their game, thus eliminating the Cowboys from any chance of making the playoffs, tank the 2nd Half of the game, plus lose the last game of the season in order to secure that 8th overall spot in next year's Draft that the Cowboys are currently in. Then use the 8th overall pick to draft this stud...

Beaker42

Reaction score
The WFT play at 3 pm. The Cowboys start at 3:25 pm. If by Halftime the WFT look to have a commanding lead and are very likely going to win their game, thus eliminating the Cowboys from any chance of making the playoffs, tank the 2nd Half of the game, plus lose the last game of the season in order to secure that 8th overall spot in next year's Draft that the Cowboys are currently in. Then use the 8th overall pick to draft this stud...

Yes please

quickccc

Reaction score
As much as I like Donovan Wilson making plays.. I’ve also watched him via All22 give up a couple TDs bc he misread the play and was out of position. Just keeping it real

This coming from a huge fan of Wilson and I’ve been advocating he have a chance to play more.

.. but let’s not drool too much. Give credit where credit is do, but he still has his flaws and has a lot to learn. Of course, if your the type to only talk about his splash plays and never about his undisciplined coverage.. go right ahead.

Assuming we'll hire a far more competent new DC and position assets. from which several players were out of position and lost.

Hard to determine how much were players bad for being lost and how much is on the coaches.

And we don't have anyone else that can be a viable playmaker at ss. and we'll need a new FS as well.

Wilson maybe one that excels when everything is in front of him and he can drive on the ball or the pass catcher.
May not be the most athletic around to laterally matchup but hes always making something happen when it comes to turnovers and big wicked shots.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Friend of mines son works with A&M DBs...when Dallas took him in 6th round my friends son said Wilson would turn into one of the best late round pics Dallas ever made. Said kid is a true hardcore baller...an assassin. Said only thing he needs is reps and more reps and that he was one of the most coachable kids he ever worked with....
Like i said, DAWG. I know some of yall dont know what one looks like after watching these timid dbs for years but stop playing with Wilson's name!

Knotamus

Reaction score
Assuming we'll hire a far more competent new DC and position assets. from which several players were out of position and lost.

Hard to determine how much were players bad for being lost and how much is on the coaches.

And we don't have anyone else that can be a viable playmaker at ss. and we'll need a new FS as well.

Wilson maybe one that excels when everything is in front of him and he can drive on the ball or the pass catcher.
May not be the most athletic around to laterally matchup but hes always making something happen when it comes to turnovers and big wicked shots.

I can get onboard with this logic

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
This article is silly. Wilson is the top playmaker we have on defense. Yes a guy who hasn't even finished his second season and is still somewhere around a dozen career starts can improve. But he has made more game changing plays than all the other players in the secondary combined. The question is not whether he should start, rather it should be who starts next to him..
He seems to have a knack for generating turnovers. One INT, three forced fumbles (not sure if defense recovered all of them, but at least one of them WAS recovered be Lawrence, I believe) he's recovered two fumbles himself.
Seems to have a knack for playing the run, too.
Does he remind you a little bit of Barry Church as a downhill/box safety?

Zman5

Reaction score
He might not have a impressive 40 speed but his short distance acceleration is very impressive. In a right scheme, he can be a weapon. He's a sure tackler and also good at blitzing.

jnday

Reaction score
I dunno.....all he does is make hits and make plays on the ball.
IIRC, Wilson has been playing like this on the practice field since he joined the team. It makes me wonder why it took so long to see him getting playing time?

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Like i said, DAWG. I know some of yall dont know what one looks like after watching these timid dbs for years but stop playing with Wilson's name!
You lost me DAWG....not sure what the gumflapping is about...smoke much do ya

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I'll put it in a way you can understand. Donovan is a hard-nosed, intense player with an attitude unlike the other dbs on the team. :thumbup:
You lost me DAWG....not sure what the gumflapping is about...smoke much do ya

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Imagine stumbling in to a player at safety. We’d never draft another

Scotman

Reaction score
I remember Woods was ranked as high as a 3rd round pick, and many a 4th round. Fans was wondering why they kept passing on him. The TV pundits the same thing.
I did not want him that high. But when they got him in the 6th, I was ok with that. Then all the pundits was saying it was a steal.

Well I am still waiting on what was stolen. :muttley:

I said Woods would be on the PS that year, but made the team. A few years later, I was ok, maybe, I was wrong, he could be good, but not a starter, but could learn.
Well, not so much. He can hit hard, but nothing else at this point. Time to move on.
Not saying I was right, but he just did not work out, it happens, they tried.

Which was, of course, great value for the 6th.

But we need consistent playmakers and Woods just isn't that.

fivetwos

Reaction score

I dont at all agree with taking CBs early, but sign me up for Farley in this particular draft.

This draft seems weak for front seven at the top.

Other than Parsons, who comes w more questions than Farley IMO.

BUT this team cant grab Farley and whoever in the 2nd and call it a day. They seriously need to sign some capable free agents....and not of the dumpster diving variety.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As much as I like Donovan Wilson making plays.. I’ve also watched him via All22 give up a couple TDs bc he misread the play and was out of position. Just keeping it real

This coming from a huge fan of Wilson and I’ve been advocating he have a chance to play more.

.. but let’s not drool too much. Give credit where credit is do, but he still has his flaws and has a lot to learn. Of course, if your the type to only talk about his splash plays and never about his undisciplined coverage.. go right ahead.

It's an impossible situation for a young Safety on a bad defense with musical chairs at CB.

All that can be expected in his situation is to flash some ability.

One good veteran Safety added next season could really allow Wilson to develop into a decent player and would make the CBs better also.

If the other Safety is a rookie, even a 1st round pick, then Wilson and the CBs likely struggle at the beginning of the season.