Don't be fooled by the miracle win

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
It's a week to week league.

Gone are the days of teams that just dominate every week like we did in the 90's and even then, we had alot of nail biters.

The Giants made it a point to keep their safeties way back, and I mean 30 yards off the line of scrimmage at times. They were not going to get beat deep. Linehan knew that Spagnolo has made his money in this league as a coach that loves to send pressure, exotic pressures and blitzes at that. We took our time, Romo used the play clock to diagnose the defense, and we took what they gave us underneath and they couldn't stop it.

Yeah, we have to score touchdowns instead of kick field goals, but when we need to, this offense can get turned loose and open things up and it came through for us. Tony Romo is a great quarterback. We always have a chance with him back there and even though Dez is out for awhile, I am liking the Romo/Linehan team right now.

We gave them 17 points. We gotta clean things up and get with it. We did it last year after the first game and we can do it again, we've already proven it.

Let's get it!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
We were flat out terrible last night.

Dez Bryant was awful from the start - shooting his mouth off and dropping a huge pass.

Beasley was ineffective on the PR and his fumble was something from a HS game.

The pass rush was non existent and we never blitzed.

Barry Church was a no show and let Beckham convert what should have been a game ending 3rd & 14 - never liked him.

Joe Randle looked slow and like he was going to fumble on every play - DMac was a non factor.
The hole Murray left is massive.

Take the win but going forward , this looks to be the old Cowboys O with Romo throwing 45 times.

Very concerned .

Good thing you're not a pessimist.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Wrong.

Pittsburgh Steelers won two Superbowls rarely dominating opponents. New York Giants won a Super Bowl with a 9-7 record. The 2012 Baltimore Ravens got to the playoffs playing in TEN close games, and only blew out 2 teams - Giants and Browns.

That's all in the past 10 years. Your judgement on "championship teams" is faulty.
The '08 Steelers blew out 6 teams during the season (half their wins were blowouts). The '05 Steelers blew out 5, and lost only one game by more than 7 points. Each of those teams only got blown out once, and most of their losses were close. If you have to go to the fluky teams like the Giants that snuck into the playoffs at 9-7 and managed to win an SB in order to find a counterargument, then I think you're making my case for me.

Getting back to the original idea here: the "mark of a championship caliber team" is NOT "finding a way to win" the close games. The mark of a championship caliber team is that the only games they lose are when their opponent squeaks one out (and yes, "only" is a slight exaggeration). These teams rarely get blown out

Last edited:

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
That last sentence completely contradicts the rest of your post.
How so?

Nobody said anything about "squeaking out a bunch of close wins". The Cowboys closed out last year's regular season by scoring 40 points several times. But there are going to be games where things don't go as planned, bad bounces, bad luck, even better teams faced. But you find a way to adapt, overcome and win. Dallas beat Seattle pretty good in their own house last year. So Seattle isn't a champion caliber team?
We beat Seattle in a game where they were leading with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter. The Seahawks didn't "find a way to adapt, overcome and win." And yet you're still arguing (quite correctly) that they're championship caliber. Your example is a perfect demonstration of my point.

New England got beat 41-14 by the Chiefs last year. It happens
It happens much more rarely to the best teams. When it happens rarely, that's the mark of a championship caliber team.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score

Dez Bryant was awful from the start - shooting his mouth off and dropping a huge pass.

Barry Church was a no show and let Beckham convert what should have been a game ending 3rd & 14 - never liked him.

Joe Randle looked slow and like he was going to fumble on every play - DMac was a non factor.

Take the win but going forward , this looks to be the old Cowboys O with Romo throwing 45 times.

Very concerned .

Dude, I bet you're pissed today. That Romo dart to Witten must've felt like it went straight through your Big Blue heart

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Very concerned .

I'm not biff. You are right Dallas flat outplayed NY we moved the ball up and down the field but managed to shoot ourselves in the foot with 3 dumb turnovers, Dallas was sloppy yet still outplayed NY. As for Romo throwing 45 times true we had to once we were down 2 scores with time running out or would have had Dallas running the ball needing 2 scores to late in the 4th.

But if you want to worry and fret that is your right but because you feel that does not mean everyone else agrees with your fears.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Very concerned .

Don't you have a game to prepare for tonight DeMarco?

jrumann59

Reaction score
I personally think they went in with conservative gameplan and put on film plays. They seemed to trot out the same 5 or 6 formations the whole game it was almost like a preseason game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This Biff Wellington troll has a long list of stinky posts.
He's the one who is near the front of line in bashing Romo, and one of the 1st to downplay anything good.

The original "Something stinks, it must be Bif" award recipient.

Sure, the drops and turnovers were bad. But when it comes from this guy, the cry wolf factor is on full display.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I personally think they went in with conservative gameplan and put on film plays. They seemed to trot out the same 5 or 6 formations the whole game it was almost like a preseason game.

It was working, they moved the ball pretty well through out the night, things they did not do was protect the ball. Had Dallas drives been stalling out I would agree that it was conservative but fact is they moved the ball with little problem outside of those 3 turnovers

Lodeus

Reaction score
Who is this guy??

My only concern is if we can replace Dez when it comes to the TD's. Escobar and Witten are nice big targets though.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score

Very concerned .

Thank you, Little Miss Sunshine.

Two thoughts, based on yours:

You give me hope that all is not lost with Dez gone 4-6 weeks.

It's gotta be all "up" from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.