Don't extend Dak and give him whatever he wants player wise

jujoboys

Reaction score
Thats fine with me if he gives us #6. He also wouldn't leave, the endorsements he would get here rather than anywhere else would be insane.
He probably would not leave but there is still no guarantee. I guess my biggest fear with Dak leaving is that I don't trust our front office to find a replacement.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
He probably would not leave but there is still no guarantee. I guess my biggest fear with Dak leaving is that I don't trust our front office to find a replacement.
Again thats fine with me. He gives us #6 and leaves, whats better than that? What has he given us in a non contract year?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Give him who he wants around him within the means of the cap and let this be his Joe Flacco prove it year. Win the big game like Flacco and name your price. Repeat like you have been the past 6 seasons and don't let the door hit you and time to move on. We can't extend this guy 4-5 more seasons only to get removed prior to the championship game every season. It's insanity to think otherwise.
"Within the means of the cap" should mean "prove you're worth your cap hit", therefore *not* pushing Dak cap hits past this year.

Which means next to no money for free agency.

Flamma

Reaction score
Give him who he wants around him within the means of the cap and let this be his Joe Flacco prove it year. Win the big game like Flacco and name your price. Repeat like you have been the past 6 seasons and don't let the door hit you and time to move on. We can't extend this guy 4-5 more seasons only to get removed prior to the championship game every season. It's insanity to think otherwise.
Eating the cap hit is probably the best idea anyway. They're pushing way too much money forward. But Dallas can't surround him with much with him being 22% against the cap. We're not winning anything with that QB cap hit.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm not completely against it, but with the current situation you wont be giving Dak much of anything to work with. Keeping Dak without touching the contract is basically asking for a miracle based on what we are projected to lose.
Hopefully Dak knows that. He's projected to sign a record breaking contract, yet he's done nothing to deserve it. Tom Brady worked on team friendly deals after he made his money. A guy that had proven it on the field and even then was considered the best ever at his position.

I hope Dak understands what his next move means for his legacy. Sure, he could cash that record breaking check and pile money on top of the vast amounts of money he's already earned. He could hamper the team's ability to build a legitimate contender to line his own pockets, and alienate fans even more than he already has.

Or...he could sign that team friendly deal, allow the team financial flexibility to rebuild his aging OL, bolster the rushing attack, rebuild the interior of the defense, and field a team that could realistically win the first super bowl in Dallas in nearly 30 years. He would go from pariah to hero, and an overwhelming fan favorite overnight. He could retire as a Cowboy after a strong run, and be remembered as one of the elites in Dallas Cowboys history. The guy that did what needed to be done to win.

The choice is his. Not his agents, not his brothers, or his wifes, not us fans. Dak Prescott has a monumental decision to make within the next month or two. Does he care about winning, or making more money than most humans could ever spend? I hope he makes the right decision, but I'd be lying if I said I was optimistic.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Thats fine with me if he gives us #6. He also wouldn't leave, the endorsements he would get here rather than anywhere else would be insane.
Gee, I wonder if his agent would factor that in when calculating how much a team will have to pay for Dak’s services? That “endorsements because you’re in Dallas” exists only in the imagination of fans who want to believe playing for the Cowboys is somehow better than playing for any of the other 31 NFL teams. Dak Prescott’s decision will be based solely on what’s best for himself and his family financially. Keep in mind, France handles and gets a percentage of Dak’s endorsements, as well. Dak would leave. Professional football players play for money, not teams. Fandom can last a lifetime. Pro football players’ careers are comparatively very short. They do not have the luxury of being loyal to one team. The “star” means something to Cowboys fans. It doesn’t mean ***t to professional football players.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
One problem with this scenario. What if he balls out in 2024 and wins the Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP and then decides he wants to play somewhere else? He would be a free agent after the season and has a no tag clause in his contract so there is literally nothing the cowboys could do but watch him sign somewhere else. Dallas doesn't have the leverage to tell Dak to prove it and then we will pay you. At this point Dallas either wants him or they are willing to move on. If they want him then the only guarantee they will have him is to get him extended this year. Anything less than extension just says they are willing to start over at QB in 2025.
What if I wont the lottery. Come on, we already know what we got. How is he going to do better in the playoffs if we can't keep up the pieces around him and he tends to not collapse in the big game.

happy-gilmore-happy-place.gif

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
I'm not completely against it, but with the current situation you wont be giving Dak much of anything to work with. Keeping Dak without touching the contract is basically asking for a miracle based on what we are projected to lose.
Ur asking for a miracle either way. The joneses aren’t going “all in” they aren’t going to reload in a meaningful way. The just let they’re LT walk, when we need OL help.

jujoboys

Reaction score
What if I wont the lottery. Come on, we already know what we got. How is he going to do better in the playoffs if we can't keep up the pieces around him and he tends to not collapse in the big game.

happy-gilmore-happy-place.gif
Read what I was responding too. The other poster is the one that said to see if he could ball out and win it all like Joe Flacco. He made it sound like it was a done deal that we sign Dak if that happened. My response was basically saying it is not a deal deal because Dak could always leverage something like a Super Bowl win into a bigger contract with another team.

GMO415

Reaction score
It's looking like it's going to be a prove it year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think that is hard to do, because you won't have the same Cap Space as you would if you extended him.

Why not consider meeting half way in the middle.

Extend him, go all in during free agency and give them the best opportunity to win now.

If it does not work trade him. If we improve and make it to the NFCC game give it another year. If results are the same or worse trade him. Make sure the contract is trade-able. That is the key to his next contract. As long as the contract is not unreasonable, Dallas will not have a hard time trading him. Then they will get some value in return to rebuild with multiple draft picks.

It gives this current team an opportunity now to win and gives us an out to rebuild with additional draft picks to go up and get a future QB in the draft.

Seems like a win-win to me.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One problem with this scenario. What if he balls out in 2024 and wins the Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP and then decides he wants to play somewhere else? He would be a free agent after the season and has a no tag clause in his contract so there is literally nothing the cowboys could do but watch him sign somewhere else. Dallas doesn't have the leverage to tell Dak to prove it and then we will pay you. At this point Dallas either wants him or they are willing to move on. If they want him then the only guarantee they will have him is to get him extended this year. Anything less than extension just says they are willing to start over at QB in 2025.
You better draft a QB then that would tell a lot

Proof

Reaction score
I don't know what you have a problem with? Dak has fans want him here regardless of past history of eight years. Is that a lie? They don't care about the cost to keep him.

I want Dak here for years to come because JJ deserves it, that is his boy and he is going to ride him into the sunset, so I guess I'll just go along for the ride. The posters that want him gone deserve it also.
"regardless of past history" is fairly loaded. Moving forward some fans think he gives us the best chance. Whether you agree or disagree, just a strange take to me. all good.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He does not care about any of that ....... he let his "best friend" get kicked off the team.

Adreme

Reaction score
Um you cant actually do that. If you do not extend you actually cannot get any better on offense (though really they just need to plug the T and C hole and the offense is fine). All that they will have room to do is find a discount LB (hopefully) and then run it back. That is the price of not extending.