Don't let Jerry tell you he spends money

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
he Cowboys DO NOT SPEND AS MUCH CASH on their roster as most other NFL teams.
Yes, a good chunk of cap room is taken up by mistakes from 1 to 2 seasons ago, over and over again.

They are in a rush to pay their talent because it makes them look competent. It's self-validation. They overpaid Jaylon Smith and Ezekiel Elliott (2 years earlier than they had to) because they received criticism for drafting them as high as they did. They overpaid Gallup because they were criticized for getting no value in return for trading Amari Cooper. They overpaid Terrence Steele (a year too early) to show how smart they are for finding him as an UDFA, and now that deal looks very bad.

They overpaid Dak because Stephen is terrible at contract negotiations and Dak's agent took complete advantage of it. Now, they freed up a measly $5M in cap room with Dak by adding void years to his existing deal, making it even more necessary to extend him and giving even more leverage to Dak and his agent. They simply do not learn and are awful at this.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Wait, what? LOL.

And they might not be "bad" at this. In fact, it's quite possible they work the cap precisely how they want it to work. By always claiming cap poor, they end up shoving millions more in cash into the family's pockets.
Look at Adam's job in August 2002 just before joining the Cowboys. His only football experience before that was equipment manager at the University of Arkansas.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/adam-prasifka-0328627/

Brax

Reaction score
It's not deceptive at all. It's very clear in what it tells. The Cowboys DO NOT SPEND AS MUCH CASH on their roster as most other NFL teams. You are falling for the trick the Cowboys are playing. Cry poor. Cry dead cap. Cry no cap space.

Cowboys operate under the same rules as everyone else and somehow, someway, a 90% of the other NFL teams have found ways to spend way more cash on their roster than the Cowboys and do so while still staying under the cap.

There's no correlation that signing your guys somehow results in more dead money/mortgaged future. Dead money is dead money whether it comes from your guy or a FA you signed that you eventually cut. The Cowboys simply don't manipulate the cap the way other teams do and as a result, they don't spend cash like most other teams do.
So your beef is they don’t sign FA but we already know Jerry likes his guys and all teams spend the same amount of money it’s required but when you have 20 or more million in dead money from poor signings you have live with that, they are simply bad at player evaluation and very poor at cap management

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
That "article" is silly.

Cap Hit and Cash Spent on a player eventually add up to the exact same number.

Example Romo:

Cap Hit Total
While on the team: 107.820 Million

Dead Money after departure: 19.600 Million

107.82M + 19.6M = 127.42M

Total Cash Spent on Romo:
127.42 Million

It's the same number!
Listen to the Ticket interview when they post it. There was a guy explaining it. I think Craig Miller just posted thread on Twitter

Sydla

Reaction score
So your beef is they don’t sign FA but we already know Jerry likes his guys and all teams spend the same amount of money it’s required but when you have 20 or more million in dead money from poor signings you have live with that, they are simply bad at player evaluation and very poor at cap management
No my beef is that they don't spend as much cash on building a roster as most of the other NFL teams.

And no, all teams do not spend the same amount of money. That's false. Again, the Cowboys have LITERALLY spent less money on their roster than 85% of the NFL teams over the periods discussed in the original article.

And reality is the reason they don't spend as much cash as others is because they actually hold onto their guys too long whereas other teams churn their roster more. I gave a loose example a few pages back that show how a team can spend more cash on their roster for a position over a three year period than Dallas likely would.

Brax

Reaction score
No my beef is that they don't spend as much cash on building a roster as most of the other NFL teams.

And no, all teams do not spend the same amount of money. That's false. Again, the Cowboys have LITERALLY spent less money on their roster than 85% of the NFL teams over the periods discussed in the original article.

And reality is the reason they don't spend as much cash as others is because they actually hold onto their guys too long whereas other teams churn their roster more. I gave a loose example a few pages back that show how a team can spend more cash on their roster for a position over a three year period than Dallas likely would.
I don’t understand how you can say they spent less when they are required to spend the cap by the cba push money down the line doesn’t mean they spend less. I guess we will have to agree to disagree

Sydla

Reaction score
Here is the dead money rankings for the Cowboys as far back as I could find data.

2024 - 20th in dead money
2023 - 26th
2022 - 15th
2021 - 15th
2020 - 12th
2019 - 22nd
2018 - 2nd

So on average, they are pretty much right in the middle in terms of dead money carried.

Reactions: CWR

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t understand how you can say they spent less when they are required to spend the cap by the cba push money down the line doesn’t mean they spend less. I guess we will have to agree to disagree
Read the original article linked. It includes data from a variety of sources, including the NFLPA for some years, that shows the Cowboys spend less cash on their roster than most teams.

There is no agree to disagree here. It's simple math and an understanding of the cap. The Cowboys spend less actual physical cash on their roster than other teams over the periods reviewed as highlighted in the linked article.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
The fact the Cowboys often hold onto players too long and don't use FA is a big reason why they are low in cash spent. Now you can call that smart if you want but the reality is the Cowboys literally are near the bottom of the league in terms of actual cash spent on their roster over the periods discussed in that BtB article.
This is the team. It likes to resign players it develops. On the second year contract they are given generous terms forcing the team to consider "sunk costs" and sticking with them longer than they should have.

They seems to hold the player's feet to the fire on the rookie contract in a "prove it style" approach, then when it comes time to wrote up the second contract they give the player a reward, and the "prove it" handcuffs come off.

It's an individual based approach to talent acquisition when maybe they could take a more team approach to development. I don't know what is the actual secret sauce to the mix that gets a NFL team to the SB on a regular basis besides an "all-world" QB. See Brady and Mahomes.

But I am leaning towards building a strong team as opposed to building a strong roster based on the 29 years of less than desireable results.

The other part that is curious to me is: Jones - Campo, Jones, etc, etc, etc. How has that dynamic played out in terms of building strong teams, and weeding out players who are not a fit in culture and performance for winning SBs?

LittleD

Reaction score
Not true. Jerry spends hundreds of millions on his East Texas Comstock gas fields. Jerry knows how to make the money.

MikeT22

Reaction score