Don't tell me modern music doesn't suck

triplets_93

Reaction score
That's the challenge, the sameness of sound with the music, it can be fatiguing. That Vedder voice became the norm. Even Creed did it.

I can't listen to any of it for a long time but I look beyond Corgan's voice, he's the best composer of all of them.

But I can't think of any artist or group I can listen to for long. Even if I like them a lot, I still get tired of that sound. And I am a chain riff listener and with streaming, that's even easier. I will hear barely a full riff in one song and that will trigger a memory cue to hear that and before I know it, I have been on a musical journey across genre and time. I can easily move through 4 or 5 different genre in an hour on the patio and sometimes go out there with that in mind. I have discovered some of my favorite songs that way.

The best FM Rock radio format for me was KLBJ-FM from 1973-1976 or so. They cultivated the entire experience. No loud obnoxious ads common on AM stations were allowed. Much like Classical WRR FM in Dallas regulates the kinds of ads they allow to play. KLBJ, in a couple of hours, would have played good stuff (and *not* the most common commercial "hits") from bands and artists like:

Shawn Phillips
Joni Mitchell
Bonnie Raitt
Dave Mason
Roy Harper
Michael Murphey
Frank Zappa
Al Stewart (think "Roads to Moscow," and not "Year Of The Cat"...)
When they went for harder rock, it was Aerosmith and "Train Kept A Rollin'" and never "Walk This Way."

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I don't know how new this stuff would be considered to others but i like a few bands.
I don't listen or try to find much new stuff, i should but don't.
The Airborne Toxic Event, not so new but after 2000 seems new to me, :)
The Lumineers
Houndmouth
Greta Van Fleet, i heard that live the singer has no charisma, shame cause their albums so far sound good to me.
Of Monsters and Men - first two albums i enjoyed very much.
The Naked and Famous - have two songs i enjoy, not sure that's enough to consider anything worth while.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think there are some talented performers today, but I also think the music is all the same, more or less. Great performers are just giving the fans what they want. Lady Gaga really can sing. She has a great voice. Sure there are some who break the mold but the top stars are pretty much the same. We are waiting for someone to come along and break the mold. I do think we get too enamored with the technology. Sure, it's all cool stuff, but I see where it does suck the creativity out of everything, even in movies.

I think the marriage of music and video has killed the music. Everything tends to be visual now and the creativity seems to be focused on more spectacular visuals and scenes than on better music or story plots.

There was a time when adding symphony orchestras to rock music added to the depth and complexity of the music. The Who's Tommy, the Moody Blue Days of Future Past was considered great works because they expanded Rock & Roll to marry it to classical music. But the music benefited.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how new this stuff would be considered to others but i like a few bands.
I don't listen or try to find much new stuff, i should but don't.
The Airborne Toxic Event, not so new but after 2000 seems new to me, :)
The Lumineers
Houndmouth
Greta Van Fleet, i heard that live the singer has no charisma, shame cause their albums so far sound good to me.
Of Monsters and Men - first two albums i enjoyed very much.
The Naked and Famous - have two songs i enjoy, not sure that's enough to consider anything worth while.
I love The Airborne Toxic Event, especially their latest album about his life as a kid when Synanon kidnapped him.

Naked and Famous, Of Monsters and Men, Death Cab for Cutie, Foster the People, Metric and the Alt Pop is very listenable to me.

I like the bigger sound of Bleachers, Grouplove, Imagine Dragons and really like AWOLnation and everything they've released, got their own little niche going.

I am not overly critical of music, if it speaks to me and I connect, I like it. But I am a listener to the music, not so much the lyrics. In fact, voices are more like instruments to me and I lean heavily to music without vocals. That's why I like Electronica, Film Scores and Jazz. A good soundscape can take me places in my mind.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I love The Airborne Toxic Event, especially their latest album about his life as a kid when Synanon kidnapped him.

Naked and Famous, Of Monsters and Men, Death Cab for Cutie, Foster the People, Metric and the Alt Pop is very listenable to me.

I like the bigger sound of Bleachers, Grouplove, Imagine Dragons and really like AWOLnation and everything they've released, got their own little niche going.

I am not overly critical of music, if it speaks to me and I connect, I like it. But I am a listener to the music, not so much the lyrics. In fact, voices are more like instruments to me and I lean heavily to music without vocals. That's why I like Electronica, Film Scores and Jazz. A good soundscape can take me places in my mind.

I was lucky enough to see The Airborne Toxic Event and The Lumineers in the front row. Airborne was a small venue so it wasn't so difficult. Lumineers was their first show at Madison Square Garden i paid like $175 or $250 i forget, for a VIP ticket and i got there like 30 minutes before start time and spent 25 of those minutes on line for drinks, 1 minute after i got to the VIP area all the other fans arrived in that area, was the strangest thing but hey i'll take it, great show was worth the price for first row. Saw Houndmouth in a small venue as well.

Would like to see Of Monsters and Men live one day. Greta Van Fleet sounds good, it's not the singer's voice so much that i worry about, i hear he just stands there like a dead man during live shows, i wouldn't enjoy that very much.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score

Don't know if this was the first or second night for them at MSG. I not 100% sure, but there's a good chance that's me in the front row with the hat doing the fist pumping, i'm a classic fist pumper at concerts. I had quite a few that night.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Not sure if this would be considered new or not. I haven't listened to much of their stuff, but i always enjoyed this video/show.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Also not sure how new this band is, but i enjoy a few of their songs as well.