Doug Free

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I was screaming to take him in the early 3rd. Big and atheletic. He made the 2nd day for me, because other than the Courtney Brown pick and signing Battle as a UDFA it was...ehh....

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
me too, i wanted him too, reason why he fell is that he had a foot fracture, so he couldnt plant that foot like he had before he got hurt, and i read somewhere against michigan, he knocked alan branch down twice, and thats saying alot.

his lower body stength is pretty good, but i read where he needs to have a stronger hand punch, and get alittle stronger in upper body. I am hoping that he is a younger version of erik williams, but able to play the left side, erik was 6-6 310 or so, and he ran the 40 in 5.16, whereas reports ive seen doug free runs it in 5.09 when healthy, thats pretty darn good for an OT.

I think with Free, Marten at ROT, if we dont resign colombo in 2 years, and McQuistan at LOG and Leonard Davis at ROG, with gurode we will have one of the biggest nastiest offensive lines in all of football, probably the most tallest too.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I agree with everyone, this might just turn out to be our best pick of 07......Doug Freak!

chicago JK

Reaction score
I have never seen him play. Although, my first thoughts are that it is a good thing if you are a lineman and your nickname is Doug Freak....unless if he has three eyes or something.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
chicago JK;1481801 said:
I have never seen him play. Although, my first thoughts are that it is a good thing if you are a lineman and your nickname is Doug Freak....unless if he has three eyes or something.

:lmao2:

BouncingCheese

Stay out of my Bidness
Reaction score
I thought James Marten was bieng considered the LT of the future fo us...Which of the two would be best fit there, and what position would the other one play?

conner01

Reaction score
free is the only pick i got right in my mock so i love him. i think he can be a very solid starter. i think he would be a better rt than lt but we shall see. he is a good player.with him,davis, and marten we should be able to get those 3rd and ones on the ground this year.lol

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
Flo may not be here depending on what he wants to stay next year dollar wise. If these guys can beat the back ups we have now they are worth taking a look at. Both might back up at guard too and I don't see that as a problem either.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I recall some pre-draft talk on ESPN radio where Free was said to be one of the best sleepers in the draft and Todd McShay went so far as to say that a scout told him Free was a sure-fire starter someday.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BouncingCheese;1481810 said:
I thought James Marten was bieng considered the LT of the future fo us...Which of the two would be best fit there, and what position would the other one play?

Thing with James Marten is he has played both guard and tackle in college

2006 SEASON
All-Atlantic Coast Conference second-team selection...Shifted to the left offensive tackle position, starting all 13 games...Graded 81.2% for blocking consistency and posted 91 knockdowns/key blocks for an offense that ranked second in the conference with an average of 354.15 yards per game...Registered 10 touchdown-resulting blocks as the offensive line allowed 22 quarterback sacks...Marten was charged with allowing only 1.5 sacks and did not give up any pressures.

2005 SEASON
Started all 12 games at left offensive guard...Allowed only 1.5 quarterback sacks and three pressures while recording 71 knockdowns and registering seven touchdown-resulting blocks... Part of an offense that led the ACC with an average of 387.7 yards per game...The offensive line ranked 12th in the nation in sacks allowed (15, an average of 1.25 per game).

2004 SEASON
Started all 12 games at left offensive guard...Helped the team produce three different 100-yard game performance runners in redshirt freshmen LV Whitworth and Andre Callender, and true freshman A.J. Brooks...The offense accounted for 4,625 yards, an average of 385.4 yards per game...Marten came up with 56 knockdowns and seven touchdown-resulting blocks.

2003 SEASON
Played in all 13 games, starting his first collegiate game at right offensive tackle vs. Colorado State in the San Francisco Bowl...Helped quarterback Paul Peterson throw for 2,594 yards.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1481975 said:
Free is a LT

Marten a RT

Down the line you could be right about that, I would like to see Marten at Guard this season and compete against Kosier. Nothing against Kosier but I would like to see some one competing for the job against him

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1481991 said:
Down the line you could be right about that, I would like to see Marten at Guard this season and compete against Kosier. Nothing against Kosier but I would like to see some one competing for the job against him

Just the fact that Marten is nasty makes you want to promote him into the starting position. Brings me back to the good ol' days of Erik Williams pre car wreck. :D

ddh33

Reaction score
He's supposed to be better than Diem. Give him time, and you probably have something.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;1482008 said:
Just the fact that Marten is nasty makes you want to promote him into the starting position. Brings me back to the good ol' days of Erik Williams pre car wreck. :D

I agree which is why I would like to see him compete at guard this season, much like we did with Flo in his rookie year before moving him to the outside. If Kosier can hold his own against Marten then great but with some of the problems we have had on the line I see no reason for guys not competing for their jobs.

ddh33

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if, with this new versatility, Dallas doesn't just line them up and let them all compete. Let the chips fall where they may and put the best five lineman on the field.

All I know is that practically every lineman on this team has played a different position on the line in the past, and they all seem to show some ability to play different positions now.