Douglas apologetic about run-in with T.O.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Posted on Mon, Nov. 07, 2005

Douglas apologetic about run-in with T.O.

By MIKE KERN

kernm@phillynews.com

At just after 4 o'clock yesterday afternoon, Hugh Douglas went on the radio from Chickie's & Pete's in South Philadelphia with WIP host Anthony Gargano, to begin a 4-hour shift that would lead up to the Eagles-Commanders game.

There was some applause, and some boos. Douglas just smiled. When Terrell Owens is involved, it's never cut and dried.

Just before he talked to the peeps across the Delaware Valley, Douglas spoke about the situation that hit national TV around midday and was first reported in the Trenton Times. Namely, that the former defensive end turned team ambassador and maybe the best wide receiver in the NFL had traded punches last week in the Birds' training room.

"It's not true," said Douglas, who said on air that there were no punches landed. "It wasn't as big as everyone is trying to make it out to be, it really wasn't.

"The sad part about the situation is, it got to this point, whatever happened. And I apologize for it."

He would apologize again, during the show's first break.

"This is not what you want kids to see. I would like to apologize to my former teammates and the city of Philadelphia," he said, "because this situation, it goes beyond football. It's just sad, and it's obvious [Owens] needs counseling."

Then he addressed the state of the team.

"It's still solid," Douglas insisted. "It's not over with. There's still a chance that they can right this ship and get things going. He's a great receiver, but he's also a troubled soul. Something's not right."

And where do the Birds go from here? Is Owens still a part of their future?

"That's not my call," Douglas explained. "Whatever 'Big Red' [coach Andy Reid] wants to do, I stand behind him."

So what about Donovan McNabb's role in the recovery process?

"You have to ask Donovan that question," he hedged. "I'm not a mind reader. I really don't know what he does at this point. I'm pretty sure he knows he has to take the reins and get it going."

During the show, Gargano asked Douglas about criticism being levied on leaders of the team for not confronting Owens as a group.

"Most of the leaders on the team felt that T.O.'s a grown man and he needed to handle himself accordingly," Douglas said. "But it was a situation where we didn't know how crazy this man was, you know what I mean? We just didn't know how many issues this man had and it just got out of hand. I think everybody was sitting around like, 'Wow, I didn't know this man was this crazy.' " :lmao2:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daily News sports writer Bob Cooney contribued to this story.

jay cee

Reaction score
You know, Latuna. I guess I'm just a big softy, because I am starting to feel sorry for Owens. I was telling my father yesterday, that he must have serious mental issues.

I seem to remember reading that he had a very tough childhood, and I'll bet that has something to do with it.

But on the other hand, he has to recognize that he has problems, and seek help. If he is unwilling to do that, and I doubt that he would, than he is going to continue to send his career down the tubes.

I hate to see people destroy their lives, but at least he's a jerk and is extremely easy to dislike.

But I have to admit, when he hits bottom, which probably won't be long, being the bleeding heart softy that I am, the disdain that I now feel for him will probably totally switch.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
:)
jay cee said:
You know, Latuna. I guess I'm just a big softy, because I am starting to feel sorry for Owens. I was telling my father yesterday, that he must have serious mental issues.

I seem to remember reading that he had a very tough childhood, and I'll bet that has something to do with it.

But on the other hand, he has to recognize that he has problems, and seek help. If he is unwilling to do that, and I doubt that he would, than he is going to continue to send his career down the tubes.

I hate to see people destroy their lives, but at least he's a jerk and is extremely easy to dislike.

But I have to admit, when he hits bottom, which probably won't be long, being the bleeding heart softy that I am, the disdain that I now feel for him will probably totally switch.

Jay Cee, I completely understand. I too have great sympathy for those with mental disorders, from full blown psychosis to your garden variety neuroses (which the experts claim we all suffer from to some degree) to various 'issues' like compulsive football fandom. :)

One of my points of pride in being an American is how we are willing to admit some disabilities are "hidden", to make accommodations for folks with mental disorders, and at the same time include them in society. We are far ahead of many other industrialized nations in that regard. Maybe we go too far with our obsession with 'self-esteem' (a Russian woman once told me she doesn't like her child's teachers constantly harping on 'self-esteem'..teach them respect for others first, and self-esteem is apt to follow), and it's been a century now since folks with disposable income have had the shrink by the hour option. And there are problems within the mental health field, such as the overmedication of "hyper-active" kids. We probably also invent too many disorders..the psychiatric manual is bigger than the Manhattan phone book now.

Still, imo, we rock in the USA with both our sensitivity and our treatment of mental disorders. My arm-chair shrink diagnosis of TO has always been narcissistic exhibitionism, but of course it is in jest - he may well have such a mental illness - but I am not qualified to say. Folks who do suffer from this disorder make their lives hell for themselves and others..nothing to laugh about, for sure.

TO, however, sick or not, is also a prime A arsehole. I don't care what diagnosis comes down the pike on him, or what degree. He is a nasty, bullying, self-centered jerk-off. I've said it before and will say it once more - his verbals attacks on Jeff Garcia were WAY beyond the pale. If he's nuts, he's also bad-nuts..he seems to have ZERO empathy for any other person.

My sympathy for mental disorders doesn't stop, but it does backtrack, at the psychopathology stage. No way am I saying the man is a serial killer, lol, but the absence of remorse, lack of empathy for others, and extreme ego centrism is exactly the profile we see in the way more serious headcases. TO is a nasty human being, mentally ill or not.

I hope he gets help. I DO suspect he needs it. But since his symptoms have included hurting others, callously and often, with no seeming regard for anyone but himself, as far as I'm concerned he can go F himself at the same time he is getting his head shrunk.

His disorder(s) don't absolve him from accountability.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
LTN wrote that ? Wow. There is obviously some deep rooted issue that she has with people that fit into TO's profile. Lets anaylze this for a second.

Just kidding.

I feel the same way, LTN. Good call.