DPOTY: Is Daron Bland a Lock?

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At this point, Daron Bland has to be an absolute lock for defensive player of the year…….right?

He has already set an NFL record with 5 INT returns for TDs.

Stephon Gilmore won DPOTY a few seasons ago, and I assume that he didn’t have anywhere near the flashy stats/records.

Who would even be a remotely competitive alternative, and how on earth could you not give it to Bland?

Adreme

Reaction score
I’m not even sure he would be top 3 in odds at the moment. I would bet Garrett and Parsons have better odds. Then either Watt, Crosby, or Jones would easily be 3rd.

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
At this point, Daron Bland has to be an absolute lock for defensive player of the year…….right?

Stephon Gilmore won DPOTY a few seasons ago, and I assume that he didn’t have anywhere near the flashy stats/records.

Who would even be a remotely competitive alternative, and how on earth could you not give it to Bland?
Lol....the guy won't even get a second contract here. No way in hell is Jerry gonna pay for another CB. NOT HAPPENING....

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
I don’t know if he’s a lock but he just set an all-time NFL record in the nationally televised Dallas Cowboys Thanksgiving game. I think I read that he also had 10 tackles during the game. He’s definitely up there on the leaderboard.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lol....the guy won't even get a second contract here. No way in hell is Jerry gonna pay for another CB. NOT HAPPENING....
Wanna bet? It will be about 2-3 years before Bland would have to be signed to a big longterm deal. He’s under contract through 2025, and then he can be franchised after that if needed. If he’s still playing at an All-Pro level in 2025/2026, Jerry will DEFINITELY resign Bland.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

He’s definitely not a lock, we still have six games to go with a tough remaining schedule. It’s going to come down to how he stacks up against the edge rushers. Would have been nice if one of his pick-sixes came with the game on the line or was the main reason we won a game.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Not even remotely close.

Gilmore did it but every other year is basically “who has the most sacks”.

Heck, if thr NFL sack leader had five and Deron had 5 pick sixes, the sack leader might get 51%.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
5 pick 6s in 11 games? NFL record? He is absolutely in the conversation. He set it on Turkey Day when everybody was watching…

If he continues to not just put up huge INT numbers, but maintains his level of play as the #1 cover CB in the league— he is the likely winner.

If there is a 20+ sack season— or Bland’s play drops off a cliff, there may be another winner, but he is in the conversation for sure

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Wanna bet? It will be about 2-3 years before Bland would have to be signed to a big longterm deal. He’s under contract through 2025, and then he can be franchised after that if needed. If he’s still playing at an All-Pro level in 2025/2026, Jerry will DEFINITELY resign Bland.
Bland will sit out if he wins DPOTY....No way he would play on that contract....and if he does...he should be firing his agent.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I don't know the ins and outs on how these awards are decided but Bland or Parsons can make a strong case. It seems sacks have been more heavily weighted than INTs but 5 defensive tds is really impressive.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
He’s definitely not a lock, we still have six games to go with a tough remaining schedule. It’s going to come down to how he stacks up against the edge rushers. Would have been nice if one of his pick-sixes came with the game on the line or was the main reason we won a game.
Yep.

This is the stretch that Bosa won it in last year.

People will forget about this accomplishment if he does nothing else the rest of the way.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Agreed!!!!

John813

Reaction score
He broke a nfl record for pick 6 touchdowns.

He’s had some of these pick 6s on prime time games.
He isn’t a boom or bust corner, either.

Bland isn’t a lock but I think tonight definitely bumped him into the top 3 which is still fluid at this time of the season

Tussinman

Reaction score
Bland will sit out if he wins DPOTY....No way he would play on that contract....and if he does...he should be firing his agent.
This is only Blands 2nd year. Unless they just recently changed the rules it's you can't sign a new deal till after you've finished your 3rd year