DPOTY: Is Daron Bland a Lock?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Ok it’s really saying something when you have more TDs as a CB than a WRs on 2 different teams. Especially when one of those teams has the almighty Mahomes throwing the ball. Bland is pretty phenomenal. I think he is in the conversation for DPOY but it’s not a lock. National TV and thanksgiving helped him, or more accurately he took advantage of the opportunity.
I think it's more than 5 or six teams actually, Jets and Falcons and at least 1 if not 2 other teams. Bland has more than all the Chiefs WRs COMBINED, wrap your head around that one. o_O

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Bland should be highly considered but I doubt he is for a few reasons. However, before I list these reasons, let's understand that I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it. I am giving you my opinions on the reasons they will use to deny him. I am just the messenger, and only a potential one at that.

The first is that the voters tend to favor previously established players. Most of the time, they have made Pro Bowls and 1st team All Pro in previous seasons, like Gilmore, for example.

Secondly, when looking at the "signature" plays that earned recognition, they value relevance. How meaningful were these big plays in determining the outcome of games? The Cowboys led their opponents by an average of 21.4 points at the time of these pick-sixes. None were absolute game deciders. None of them switched the lead from the opponent to the Cowboys.

Thirdly, the voters tend to favor sack leaders although INT's are far more valuable, especially when they are returned for TD's. Only one of the last 12 DPOY's was a DB.

Fourth, and I know this to be true, there is some bias against the Cowboys as well as envy and resentment. For confirmation, consider the HOF and how long it took some very deserving players to get there.
They undeniably value sacks, but whenever someone sets an all time record, it will carry weight. Bland is league leader in INTs and I believe in CB rating in addition to the Pick 6's. The season isn't over and he still has plenty of time to add to his stats, it's going to take a truly impressive display from someone else down the stretch. He's got to be the frontrunner at this point.

BadLieutenant

Reaction score
Exactly. Many see it as a fluke or a novelty, which is why with 4 TDs, he was still way back in the field.

One advantage he has is every game from here out is a night game or will be the marquee game Sunday game, at least until the final week.
Playing for the Cowboys should help, how many interceptions did he have last season ? Will QBs stop throwing his way

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
Well last week he was +10,000 odds to win the award.

Today he is +1300 to win the award. Garrett, Parsons, and Watt are ahead of him.

Thinking like a voter, Watt has shown himself to be a dirty player, so I think he will be out. Garrett has his issue with the helmet from before. And Parsons won't win it over Bland.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hope so I have him at 60-1. Better jump on that train before its down to 10-1

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I’m not even sure he would be top 3 in odds at the moment. I would bet Garrett and Parsons have better odds. Then either Watt, Crosby, or Jones would easily be 3rd.
Garrett +115, Parson + 210, TJ Watt +380, Bland +1900

Creeper

Reaction score
He should be the front runner but with 6 games to go the chances are he will be forgotten if he does not get another 1 or 2 later in the season. By the time we get to the playoffs, this record will seem like ancient history.

But I hope his success does not change him.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don’t know if he’s a lock but he just set an all-time NFL record in the nationally televised Dallas Cowboys Thanksgiving game. I think I read that he also had 10 tackles during the game. He’s definitely up there on the leaderboard.
The 10 tackles don't help his case because he gave up a lot of completions in getting those tackles!

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
RG3 says it best.........IMO it's his to lose. To not give it to him, would be a slap in the face of one of the hardest record-breaking stat in the league.

I like RG3 more and more each and everyday. He’s usually spot on with his opinions he’s a really good follow. It’s too bad his career went the way it did.

Flamma

Reaction score
At this point, Daron Bland has to be an absolute lock for defensive player of the year…….right?

He has already set an NFL record with 5 INT returns for TDs.

Stephon Gilmore won DPOTY a few seasons ago, and I assume that he didn’t have anywhere near the flashy stats/records.

Who would even be a remotely competitive alternative, and how on earth could you not give it to Bland?
We've got how many games left? I don't know that he's a lock. But he's making the case and might end up sealing it by season's end.

Aven8

Reaction score
Don’t look now but Micah now has 11.5 sacks with lots of passing teams left to play…

phildadon86

Reaction score
Well last week he was +10,000 odds to win the award.

Today he is +1300 to win the award. Garrett, Parsons, and Watt are ahead of him.

Thinking like a voter, Watt has shown himself to be a dirty player, so I think he will be out. Garrett has his issue with the helmet from before. And Parsons won't win it over Bland.
I almost put money on that last week when it was +10000 I am angry today