Dr Z at it again

bayarealightning

Reaction score
The Chargers were never shopping Rivers. Time for a little facts. A.J. Smith had scouted Rivers and liked him prior to the Senior Bowl, and the Charger brass ensured that Rivers was included in the game. Marty fell in love with Rivers during the Senior Bowl practices and game. Brees' problem was that he was not protecting the football. The Chargers drafted Rivers and during the early part of the season, moved Rivers up to the #2 QB over Flutie when the team was 1-2. That is when Brees shortened up his game.

He stopped taking chances and kept to safe throws and completions. Nothing wrong with that. However, Brees cannot throw the short, intermediate or deep outs. I am not sure that it is because he cannot see over the linemen and by the time he is ready to throw that pass, the CB is ready to jump the route. the Chargers was the lowest rated team when it came to completions to WRs. If he is not throwing to the sidelines, teams started to crowd the middle of the field which helps teams scheming to stop Tomlinson. Brees could not make teams pay for stacking the box with 8 men. Also, teams started playing cover 2, and would not move the Safety opposite Gates to cover the sideline. Against Pittsburgh last year, Troy P. was smacking Gates all night long. He wasn't covering Gates, but he was around the seam all night long.

Rivers has to protect the ball and get defenses out of stacking the box or make them pay when they do. He can see the route develope and can get rid of the ball before the WR makes his break. If he can make Safeties respect the sidelines, that is going to open up the middle more for Gates (he will have to beat a LB and Safety vs. two Safeties). I will take our chances. He has been in the system for going on three years now. McNair, Culpepper, Pennington and Palmer all did well their first year after sitting. The first victim... Tha Raidas!

burmafrd

Reaction score
Rivers has shown nothing- I really doubt he will this season. Meanwhile with Brees the chargers had a shot at the SB. Of course it would have helped if the Chargers had gotten themselves a really good WR- their biggest offensive weakness. RIvers is going to find out how hard it is without top WR's.

bayarealightning

Reaction score
Gates is as good as any receiver that is out there. McCardell can still get open and Parker has become clutch (a high potion of he catches were for 1st downs). McNair had showed nothing his first two years. The same with Pennington. Culpepper and Palmer showed nothing after their first year. What are you saying about them right now? He hasn't shown nothing, but that doesn't mean that he is going to suck. We are returning 21 of 22 starters. The Change is the QB. He has the same receivers that Brees had.

burmafrd

Reaction score
You really think that a ROOKIE- and that is what he is for all intents and purposes- is going to be able to do as well as Brees?

dfense

Reaction score
Sucked for so long? How long? He was in the same draft as Vick. Vick has never not sucked in my opinion and isn't half the QB Brees is now.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
dfense said:
Sucked for so long? How long? He was in the same draft as Vick. Vick has never not sucked in my opinion and isn't half the QB Brees is now.

Last time i checked Vick never lead his team to the worst Record in a season.

oh and BTW Vick might be half the QB brees is but Vick has beaten the Packers in the playoffs at LAmbeu, Even made it all the way to NFC champion ship game.

For all of Brees greatness he has yet to win a playoff game.

bayarealightning

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
You really think that a ROOKIE- and that is what he is for all intents and purposes- is going to be able to do as well as Brees?
I think you need to go back and check what kind of season 3rd year rookies Pennington and McNair had. Or, second year rookies Culpepper and Palmer had. So your point is?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Vick is a joke as a QB. He will never win a championship.

He may not, but at this point, he has won more than Brees, and the last time i checked winning is everything

burmafrd

Reaction score
ok= first year for both of them- what were there stats compared to Brees last year?

bayarealightning

Reaction score
Pennington:

PASSING

Year Team G GS Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate

2000 Jets 1 0 5 2 40.0 67 13.4 62 1 0 1/4 1 1 127.1

2001 Jets 2 0 20 10 50.0 92 4.6 24 1 0 1/8 1 0 79.6

2002 Jets 15 12 399 275 68.9 3120 7.8 47 22 6 22/135 40 3 104.2

McNair:

PASSING

1995 Oilers 4 2 80 41 51.3 569 7.1 53 3 1 6/63 8 2 81.7

1996 Oilers 9 4 143 88 61.5 1197 8.3 83 6 4 9/45 15 5 90.6

1997Oilers16 16 415 216 52.0 2665 6.4 65 14 13 31/190 36 5 70.4

Culpepper:

PASSING

1999Minnesota Vikings1000---0---0000/000---

2000Viks 16 16 474 297 62.7 3937 8.3 78 33 16 34/181 56 13 98.0

Palmer:

PASSING

2003Cincinnati Bengals0000---0---0000/000---

2004Bngls13 13 432 263 60.9 2897 6.7 76 18 18 25/178 34 8 77.3

Brees:

PASSING

2005SD 16 16 500 323 64.6 3576 7.1 54 24 15 27/223 46 4 89.2

If Rivers has a year comparible to McNair and Palmer or a little better, then we should be a playoff caliber team. I am basing that on the #1 rated rush defense, the 5th best sack team, the best overall RB in the league and the best TE and FB in the league. The secondary has to improve and we will need to have a better take away total. We are going to be tough regardless of who we play.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Rivers has a lot of wood to chop. First year playing - really at all. I just cannot see him doing good enough for the chargers to do much.
If the chargers had kept Brees they would be one of the favorites to reach the SB. Simple fact.

bayarealightning

Reaction score
Returning 21 of 22 starters, 6 Pro Bowl players (including the Defensive Rookie of the Year), the best overall RB in the league, the best TE in the league, the best FB in the league, the #1 rushing defense, 5th in sacks, and a top 3 front 7. I like those odds. Rivers will be able to throw to the sidelines and thus use all of the field. He doesn't have to wait for a lane to pass the ball. If he makes good decisions with the ball, we will be alright. The days of the 6'0" QB in the NFL are over (unless you use the shotgun as the primary formation).

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
bayarealightning said:
Returning 21 of 22 starters, 6 Pro Bowl players (including the Defensive Rookie of the Year), the best overall RB in the league, the best TE in the league, the best FB in the league, the #1 rushing defense, 5th in sacks, and a top 3 front 7. I like those odds. Rivers will be able to throw to the sidelines and thus use all of the field. He doesn't have to wait for a lane to pass the ball. If he makes good decisions with the ball, we will be alright. The days of the 6'0" QB in the NFL are over (unless you use the shotgun as the primary formation).

They had that last year, and yet they fell just short. It sucks to be in the AFC eh?

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Rivers has a lot of wood to chop. First year playing - really at all. I just cannot see him doing good enough for the chargers to do much.
If the chargers had kept Brees they would be one of the favorites to reach the SB. Simple fact.

Lol, are u serious, please people are still riding the colts, that Pats are still sneaking around, Steelers are still there, the bengals, Jaguars are better, i mean they playoffs yes, but your saying that with Brees as a starter, even though he has yet to win a game in the playoffs, and really havent been pressure tested is gonna led his team to the SB. Even big ben with all his mightness and greatness didnt make it to the SB till after he lost in the AFC championship. Dont go voerboard please, your love fest for this guy is really starting to get beside itself

burmafrd

Reaction score
With a veteran good QB YES the chargers would have been in the hunt. Take a good luck- take off your blinders. The Chargers have as complete a team as any of them. Or they did untill they chucked their QB.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
With a veteran good QB YES the chargers would have been in the hunt. Take a good luck- take off your blinders. The Chargers have as complete a team as any of them. Or they did untill they chucked their QB.

Please, being in the AFC, they would again have been in the hunt for the playoffs, there just are to many "complete" teams in the AFC to say they would be favorites for the SB

Colts, Jax, Pats, Bengals, Steelers, Denver,

Thats six teams right now, that i belive will have a better record than them, you know what that means, they dont make the playoffs, so again, i have on no blinders, they are in contention for a playoff spot, yes for the SB no.

bayarealightning

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
They had that last year, and yet they fell just short. It sucks to be in the AFC eh?
I think that is one of the reasons why we are starting a new QB this season.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
bayarealightning said:
I think that is one of the reasons why we are starting a new QB this season.

at least you have good sense, lol i do think ya'' go .500 or better, but the playoffs, highly dependent on the other teams, and what they do, but of couse you can count the Colts for at least one loss :D:D

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dargonking999 said:
Please, being in the AFC, they would again have been in the hunt for the playoffs, there just are to many "complete" teams in the AFC to say they would be favorites for the SB

Colts, Jax, Pats, Bengals, Steelers, Denver,

Thats six teams right now, that i belive will have a better record than them, you know what that means, they dont make the playoffs, so again, i have on no blinders, they are in contention for a playoff spot, yes for the SB no.
Last year at this time Pittsburgh was in contention for a playoff spot (at best and still didn't win their division) and NO ONE thought they were a threat to go to the super bowl let alone win the thing.