Dr. Z's All Pro's...

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Where is everyone's favorite LeCharles Bently?

After reading Dr. Z's article, I'd say he didn't grade him.

All the players he mentioned were centers on highly regarded lines or high powered offenses. Since the Saints running game wasn't so great (due to an overall lack of skill at the position once Deuce went down) or record, my guess is that Dr. Z glossed right over them. He didn't even grade Tobeck at first. If you are doing this, wouldn't you at least start out planning to do every player on the line that produced the NFL rushing champion?

I expect if he had graded Bentley and he had graded poorly, he would have taken the time to gloat a bit like he did with Allen/Ogden.

How many of those guys are upcoming FAs that can play guard and center? Bentley is everyone's favorite because he would be a young upgrade and can play multiple positions and actually might be available.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
They exist believe it or not. ;)

Atlanta might be a tougher home stadium than Dallas.

My backyard is a tougher home stadium than Texas Stadium.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Well, Dr. Z did vote for Terence Newman on his All-Pro team.

He did him a bit of injustice with the second Washington game. Sure, Newman made a horrible attempt at the Cooley tackle, who outweighs him by 50 pounds. But Newman was hurt a few plays before and had to be taken out of the game.

Rich.........

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yakuza Rich said:
Well, Dr. Z did vote for Terence Newman on his All-Pro team.

He did him a bit of injustice with the second Washington game. Sure, Newman made a horrible attempt at the Cooley tackle, who outweighs him by 50 pounds. But Newman was hurt a few plays before and had to be taken out of the game.

Rich.........

Cornerbacks

Ken Lucas, Panthers, and Terence Newman, Cowboys. Champ Bailey of the Broncos finished in third place, and on sheer ability, plus the memory of what a cornerback used to look like, the Champ was king. But he'd also get into strange walkabouts when he'd seem to lose focus and next thing you knew, there were six points on the board. Nevertheless, Champ was going to be one of my top two until the end of the grading period, when I was checking notes with someone and he said, "Give Newman a more careful look."

Now my last memory of Newman was ducking his head as the Commanders' Chris Cooley ran over him for a TD, but what the heck, fair's fair. So I did a complete workup, as the doctors like to say, and Newman was my highest scorer on pure coverage, although he was not stellar playing the force. But neither was Deion. It happens that way sometimes...you just sort of fall into it, although most selectors would not admit it.

When I saw Lucas against the Patriots in September, I said, "There's one All-pro right there." I mean he was out of sight. He had other good games, but none like that one. But there were also teams, such as the Vikings, that refused to throw into his coverage. Before I forget, one more word to you Bailey fans out there. He had a game, against the Eagles, in which he was trying to struggle through, against T.O. no less, on a pulled hamstring. He had a very bad time of it. If you're wondering if I factored that game into my system, the answer is that I did not. I threw it out. I still have some honor left. Another notev -- someone asked me what I do with interference penalties. I count the yardage, on a grading system. But if I feel the penalty was too picky, I just throw it out with yesterday's garbage, which about sums up these rules.

Without going into too much detail about grades and stuff on the rest of the corners I studied, here's the way I ranked them, in order -- McAllister of Baltimore, O'Neal of Cincinnati, Barber of Tampa Bay, Kelly of Tampa Bay, Harris of Green Bay, Mathis of Jacksonville. I started workups on Vasher and Tillman of the Bears and Taylor of Pittsburgh, but quit when I realized that they would not match up with the others.

=============================================

Hell yes!

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I like this "formula" more and more. He throws out games if a guy is injured because it isn't "honorable".

Very scientific.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
junk said:
After reading Dr. Z's article, I'd say he didn't grade him.

When I've focused on Bentley, he's above average in drive blocking but a liability against the pass. Especially when facing quick defensive tackles. I saw Rod Coleman eat his lunch in particular.

Rockytop6

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Matt Lehr is on his team??? ***???

No. Lehr was one that a friend of Zim's asked him to grade out. Lehr graded out at 2. plus while the all pro graded out at around a 5.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
When I've focused on Bentley, he's above average in drive blocking but a liability against the pass. Especially when facing quick defensive tackles. I saw Rod Coleman eat his lunch in particular.

I am not saying Bentley is good, great or average. More that I am very skeptical of Dr. Z's grading system and I think if he had actually taken the time to grade him and he had graded poorly, Dr. Z would say something since Bentley is a Pro Bowler.

While I appreciate the film study that Z tries (its better than anything that someone like Peter King would do), his approach seems rather random.

Bentley, IMO, would be a solid FA add if the cost wasn't too high. It probably will be. I can't really justify paying high salaries to three interior lineman (although with Bledsoe as a QB, it might be a good idea). I also like the idea that Bentley could transition to guard sometime in the future if needed.

Rod Coleman is pretty good. He eats a lot of people's lunch. :D