Draft a S.S. or F.S.???

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
I mean, we have Hamlin at F.S. locked up for next 5 years roughyl, don't remember exact length of contract and it's irrelevant to my point, so after seeing how much Roy Williams covering abilities or lack of has hurt us in the past at S.S., and the way T.E.'s are so athletic and fast these days, do you think we'd be better off drafting a F.S. and moving him to S.S., thus maybe losing a little in the run support to a true S.S. but gaining a ton of coverage abilities to cover these fast and athletic T.E.'s the NFL is filled with nowadays?

I personally would rather lose a little in run support if our S.S. could cover like a F.S.!
Ideally you'd like to have both, a nice big S.S. who can run with speed and keep up with the T.E.'s and cover the slot receiver also along with givign good run support, but I just think the way the NFL is now, I think you need better cover safeties more so then the Roy Williams run support type S.S.'s of years past.
I mean, they're used to be only one really great pass catching T.E. in a guy like Tony Gonzalez, now it seems like every NFL team has a big, fast, athletic type T.E., thus making it more important then ever to have a S.S. who can COVER, along with the fact teams are running more 3 W.R. sets also.

So, do we draft a F.S. who can also play the run pretty good and turn him into a S.S., or just draft a pure S.S. of the old days who's great at stuffing the run ala Roy Williams but who's a liability of sort in the passing game?

Personally I'd like to take F.S. who can cover like a corner and turn him into a S.S. and would rather have a little less run support, but gain a big advantage having two safeties who can really cover guys.

Although there are a few S.S.'s who I like who are good in both areas, I would want to trade up in round 2 (assuming we cut Roy) and grab Myron Rolle or Patrick Chung.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
12 picks and if we keep them all

4 - OL
4 - LB
3 - DB
1 - QB

or

4 - OL
4 - LB
3 - DB
1 - DT

or

3 - OL
4 - LB
4 - DB
1 - DT

or

3 - OL
3 - LB
4 - DB
1 - DT
1 - QB

or

3 - OL
4 - LB
3 - DB
1 - DT
1 - QB

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2386354 said:
I mean, we have Hamlin at F.S. locked up for next 5 years roughyl, don't remember exact length of contract and it's irrelevant to my point, so after seeing how much Roy Williams covering abilities or lack of has hurt us in the past at S.S., and the way T.E.'s are so athletic and fast these days, do you think we'd be better off drafting a F.S. and moving him to S.S., thus maybe losing a little in the run support to a true S.S. but gaining a ton of coverage abilities to cover these fast and athletic T.E.'s the NFL is filled with nowadays?

I personally would rather lose a little in run support if our S.S. could cover like a F.S.!
Ideally you'd like to have both, a nice big S.S. who can run with speed and keep up with the T.E.'s and cover the slot receiver also along with givign good run support, but I just think the way the NFL is now, I think you need better cover safeties more so then the Roy Williams run support type S.S.'s of years past.
I mean, they're used to be only one really great pass catching T.E. in a guy like Tony Gonzalez, now it seems like every NFL team has a big, fast, athletic type T.E., thus making it more important then ever to have a S.S. who can COVER, along with the fact teams are running more 3 W.R. sets also.

So, do we draft a F.S. who can also play the run pretty good and turn him into a S.S., or just draft a pure S.S. of the old days who's great at stuffing the run ala Roy Williams but who's a liability of sort in the passing game?

Personally I'd like to take F.S. who can cover like a corner and turn him into a S.S. and would rather have a little less run support, but gain a big advantage having two safeties who can really cover guys.

Although there are a few S.S.'s who I like who are good in both areas, I would want to trade up in round 2 (assuming we cut Roy) and grab Myron Rolle or Patrick Chung.

I have had a man crush on Taylor Mays. If he comes out I would love if Dallas could find a way to land him.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you go FS or SS cause you can have Hamlin play either or. Plus there is a shot that Henry might move to FS next year and then whoever you're drafting doesn't have to come right in and start right away no matter which one you draft.

That's not a bad situation to be in at the Safety position, if you ask me.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2386500 said:
It doesn't matter if you go FS or SS cause you can have Hamlin play either or..

That's not the question though, I understand Hamlin could play S.S., which is why I'd say we should draft a F.S. and move Hamlin to S.S. thus we'll have two good cover safeties.

I think in this day and age of the NFL, the pure S.S. is being phased out, ala Roy Williams, because so many teams run 3 W.R. sets and the T.E.'s are so much better receiving these days, anyone who knows Fantasy football can see the difference in T.E>.'s over the past 5 years, I mean, Gonzalez was thonly T.E. you'd draft in the 1st 10 rounds of a draft. LOL
Now you got guys like Gonzalez/Shockey/Gates/Witten/Cooley/Clark/Fasano/Etc./Etc./Etc., meaning that the S.S. who used to be the run stuffer back 5 years ago ala Roy Williams and excell without needing muich coverage skills are now suffering cause they can't cover these type of T.E.'s athletic ability and speed, thus I feel you need to have your S.S. have more Coverage skills then run stuffing skills in this day and age of the NFL, more of like a F.S., I'd rather draft a F.S. with a little size and convert him to S.S. is all, cause the Roy Williams type S.S. is being phased out.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2386371 said:

4 - OL
4 - LB
3 - DB
1 - QB

4 L.B.'s????????

you don't have us drafting ANY D-lineman and have us taking 4 L.B.'s when we will haved alll 4 of our starting L.B.'s returning along with Spencer and Burnett as top backups, leaving us just 2 L.B. spots available and that's if we cut ties with Carpenter, otherwise we'll only have one or two L.B. spots if we decide to keep 9 available, so we'd be basically WASTING a few draft picks by drafting that many L.B.'s.
I just don't see us taking more then 2 L.B.'s IF THAT, we have all 4 staters returning, we'll have Burnett backing up the I.L.B. spot and Spencer (or ells is Spencer starts) backing up the O.L.B. spot, so I dont' see any need to be going L.B. crazy in this draft.
I'd rather skip L.B. all together in this draft, wait till next year and use our top pick next year on a stud I.L.B. to replace Thomas.

Give me 6 picks out of those 12, using the other 6 picks to p and get more QUALITY players and less quantity and use a few picks for 2010 draft also, just give me 6 quality players in rounds 2-5 instead of 12 quantity in rounds 2-7.

Give me
Pure N.T.
D.E.
O.G.
O.T.
S.
L.B.

and call it a day, I want QUALITY players this year, I don't want us drafitng 12 players, half of who probably won't make the team anyway, I'd rather use all our extra picks to trade up in the earlier rounds and get 5 or 6 QUALITY players we target and any left over picks after the trade ups, trade away for 2010 picks.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2386740 said:
Biggems;2386371 said:

4 - OL
4 - LB
3 - DB
1 - QB

4 L.B.'s????????

you don't have us drafting ANY D-lineman and have us taking 4 L.B.'s when we will haved alll 4 of our starting L.B.'s returning along with Spencer and Burnett as top backups, leaving us just 2 L.B. spots available and that's if we cut ties with Carpenter, otherwise we'll only have one or two L.B. spots if we decide to keep 9 available, so we'd be basically WASTING a few draft picks by drafting that many L.B.'s.
I just don't see us taking more then 2 L.B.'s IF THAT, we have all 4 staters returning, we'll have Burnett backing up the I.L.B. spot and Spencer (or ells is Spencer starts) backing up the O.L.B. spot, so I dont' see any need to be going L.B. crazy in this draft.
I'd rather skip L.B. all together in this draft, wait till next year and use our top pick next year on a stud I.L.B. to replace Thomas.

Give me 6 picks out of those 12, using the other 6 picks to p and get more QUALITY players and less quantity and use a few picks for 2010 draft also, just give me 6 quality players in rounds 2-5 instead of 12 quantity in rounds 2-7.

Give me
Pure N.T.
D.E.
O.G.
O.T.
S.
L.B.

and call it a day, I want QUALITY players this year, I don't want us drafitng 12 players, half of who probably won't make the team anyway, I'd rather use all our extra picks to trade up in the earlier rounds and get 5 or 6 QUALITY players we target and any left over picks after the trade ups, trade away for 2010 picks.

This is why people on this site give you such a hard time....did you even read my entire post....i gave several different options for the 12 picks if we kept them all.....i like how you singled out one of those options and tried to call me out on it.

Rogers and Carpenter suck. Burnett is injury prone. Thomas might retire after the year. Spencer keeps getting nagging injuries. Ellis is getting older.

I don't expect all 12 picks to make the team. What I do expect is 12 prospects to be brought in to give us greater depth in the Spring and Training Camp.....If they happen to beat out one of the current players, awesome. If not, practice squad or see ya later.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
Biggems;2386792 said:
ThatsmyQB;2386740 said:
This is why people on this site give you such a hard time....did you even read my entire post....i gave several different options for the 12 picks if we kept them all.....i like how you singled out one of those options and tried to call me out on it.

Rogers and Carpenter suck. Burnett is injury prone. Thomas might retire after the year. Spencer keeps getting nagging injuries. Ellis is getting older.

I don't expect all 12 picks to make the team. What I do expect is 12 prospects to be brought in to give us greater depth in the Spring and Training Camp.....If they happen to beat out one of the current players, awesome. If not, practice squad or see ya later.

I did read your whole post, and I picked this one to ask why you would pick 4 L.B.'s in ONE of your 3 draft scenarios is all, if I agredd with all 3 scenars I wouldn't repsond, I only repsoind to one I disagree with, as it should be, nothing to do with not reading your whole post AT ALL, cause I did, but I only had a problem with this one scenario and thus commented on the one I disagreed with, just cause I pick one part of your post to talk about, does t in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM mean I didn't read your whole post is all.
Spencer getting nagging injuries and Ellis getting older doesn't change the fact that they will be on our final roster next year is all I'm saying, thus I don't see us taking more than one L.B. in this coming draft, maybe 2, but NO WAY 4 IMO is all.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2387156 said:
I did read your whole post, and I picked this one to ask why you would pick 4 L.B.'s in ONE of your 3 draft scenarios is all, if I agredd with all 3 scenars I wouldn't repsond, I only repsoind to one I disagree with, as it should be, nothing to do with not reading your whole post AT ALL, cause I did, but I only had a problem with this one scenario and thus commented on the one I disagreed with, just cause I pick one part of your post to talk about, does t in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM mean I didn't read your whole post is all.
Spencer getting nagging injuries and Ellis getting older doesn't change the fact that they will be on our final roster next year is all I'm saying, thus I don't see us taking more than one L.B. in this coming draft, maybe 2, but NO WAY 4 IMO is all.

Ellis will be gone next year. Book it!!!!

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2387197 said:
Ellis will be gone next year. Book it!!!!

Based on what?
Right now with Spencer having trouble being healthy, we have NO OTHER L.B. to rush the passer, thus Ellis, although I wouldn't mind him gone with him always cryin in the off season, I dont' think it's a wise move for a superbowl team to get rid of a guy who can rush the passer, especially since this team needs more guys who can rush the passer, the last thing you want to do is get rid of the ones we do have that can rush the passer.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2387200 said:
Based on what?
Right now with Spencer having trouble being healthy, we have NO OTHER L.B. to rush the passer, thus Ellis, although I wouldn't mind him gone with him always cryin in the off season, I dont' think it's a wise move for a superbowl team to get rid of a guy who can rush the passer, especially since this team needs more guys who can rush the passer, the last thing you want to do is get rid of the ones we do have that can rush the passer.

He can rush the passer? I couldn't tell he sucks and is old and isn't playing nowhere close to the level he played at last year.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2387255 said:
He can rush the passer? I couldn't tell he sucks and is old and isn't playing nowhere close to the level he played at last year.

True, he's not what he used to be, but take him away and tell me who do we have rushing the passer opposite Ware while Spencer was out? NO ONE!

Thus while he has slowed and is older, I agree on both cases, and he's not what he used to be, he still can be effective and we have no one behind him, I really don't want to go into next season without him as our BACKUP to Spencer in case of an injury to Ware GOD FORBID or Spencer and we need someone to step in and take over.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2387292 said:
True, he's not what he used to be, but take him away and tell me who do we have rushing the passer opposite Ware while Spencer was out? NO ONE!

Thus while he has slowed and is older, I agree on both cases, and he's not what he used to be, he still can be effective and we have no one behind him, I really don't want to go into next season without him as our BACKUP to Spencer in case of an injury to Ware GOD FORBID or Spencer and we need someone to step in and take over.

That's why we need to draft LB'rs in this draft....:eek:

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2387304 said:
That's why we need to draft LB'rs in this draft....:eek:

In what round?
We have our O.L.B.'s SET IN STONE for the next 5 years in Spencer and Ware, so whoever we draft is only gonna be a backup, and with Ellis at one backup spot, we really only have one O.L.B. spot open, I don't have a problem drafting one, but what round to you want to use a draft pick on a guy who you know is gonna be a backup the next 5 years barring injury?
If you wann use a 6th or 7th rounder on one, fine, but I'd rather use those late round picks to trade up in earlier rounds to help more important positons is all.