Draft Day Trades

Verdict

Reaction score
I was happy with the first "trade down" which netted us Cleveland's first rounder next year. I was also fine with the trade up back into the first round to select Spencer. We get the player we apparantly want, at the lower draft position, and save some salary cap room in the process.

I think the trade down that bothers me the most is the second trade down from #53. I would have thought that we could have drafted a potential impact player with this pick. I would have rather traded up and picked up a single impact OL with the pick rather than drafting two later. I think we could have traded up and got Sears, Ugoh, or Blalock and been better off. I think we got a little too cute with this trade.

jay cee

Reaction score
Verdict;1480309 said:
I was happy with the first "trade down" which netted us Cleveland's first rounder next year. I was also fine with the trade up back into the first round to select Spencer. We get the player we apparantly want, at the lower draft position, and save some salary cap room in the process.

I think the trade down that bothers me the most is the second trade down from #53. I would have thought that we could have drafted a potential impact player with this pick. I would have rather traded up and picked up a single impact OL with the pick rather than drafting two later. I think we could have traded up and got Sears, Ugoh, or Blalock and been better off. I think we got a little too cute with this trade.

I was happy with the initial trade down also, I think it should, at worst be a top 15 pick and likely a top 10.

At first I was a little upset about the 1st trade up for Spencer, because I wanted them to go o-line and I thought they could get excellent value.

But now I think that was a solid move also. And like you, I'm bothered more by the 2nd trade down for the very reason you gave.

tvooz

Reaction score
since we had our #53 and our 4th rounder, it would have been very prohibitive to move up in the 2nd round. we had no ammunition at that point. by swapping with cleveland at #53 to #67, we missed out on the below players. i don't believe we would have chosen any of those players anyway. so, a move down was beneficial.

CB Wright, Eric
DT McBride, Turk
CB Wilson, Josh
DE Crowder, Tim
DE Abiamiri, Victor
DE Alama-Francis, Ikaika
C Kalil, Ryan
C Satele, Samson
FS Alexander, Gerald
DE Bazuin, Dan
RB Jackson, Brandon
SS Piscitelli, Sabby
DE Moses, QuentiN
CB Young, Usama

Dallas (from Cleveland) Marten, James OT

nathanlt

Reaction score
The first trade Dallas made, in order for the Browns to get the better of Dallas in the deal, they would have to make their pick at #16. Anything higher than that, and Dallas really made the right choice.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Verdict;1480309 said:

I agree. Although we got some nice players in the 3rd & 4th rounds I would rather have gotten a higher quality guy in the 2nd.

Getting one good player is worth more than getting 5 marginal guys.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Verdict;1480309 said:

I think if the Rams hadn't picked Leonard a #52, we would of taken him.

sago1

Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone could consider OT Doug Free a marginal player. Free was projected in most mocks to go late 2nd/3rd round. How in the world he slipped to the 4th round is beyond me. He's been the OT I've wanted all along because of his great athleticism which you don't expect from a player his size. His knickname is Doug Freak because of his speed in moving to the second level opening holes/blocking for his RB/WRs. I'm a McQuistan supporter, but Free already has the skills I'm hoping McQuistan is developing. Free is also still growing and experts believe he can add another 20# of bulk/muscle to his frame. As a rookie Free may not be able to beat out Adams at LT, but after participation in next year's offseason weight conditioning program, bet he's our new starting LT and unlike Adams, this kid has all the motivation/attitude in the world. You'l come to love this kid's play just like another 4th rounder--Marion Barber.

Admittedly was surprised by the James Marten pick in the 3rd round instead of Free. But Marten is a good OT who can play LG which he did as a 2 year starter for Boston College before being moved to LT as their starter in 06. He's a battler just like Colombo with a nasty attitude. There's mixed reaction to whether he can play both OT positions in the pros (unlike Free) but drafting both of these players (admit I couldn't figure out initially why we drafted 2 OTs) gives us not only depth this season but opens up possibility they are our future bookends for the next decade.

Much as I hope McQuistan becomes the Ot we've been told he could be, Jerry Jones is already talking of moving him to OG and RG position is already held down by newly acquired Leonard Davis for big bucks which might leave Kyle Kosier's job possibly up for grabs this year or next. The point is that, with the addition of Free and Marten, the Cowboys have finally taken action to upgrade their OL thru the draft (rather then spend huge cap money on FAs) which will enable Romo to have time and open better holes our running backs.

Verdict

Reaction score
The pickup of the first rounder from Cleveland is huge. I also realize that it hurt us a little bit in terms of what we had to work with this year. Moving back up cost us ammunition this year. I was still Ok with the trade up to get Spencer. If he was our man, I was ok with trading up to get him.

I am actually OK with drafting a kicker and a fullback because they are the types of positions that you can get a stud in the lower rounds. I would have much rather moved up with our second and grabbed another player who would have a better chance of helping us this year.

I am hoping that the two late CB's and the two OTs we drafted pan out, but I would have rather packaged and moved up for a guy like Blaylock who might have given Kosier a run for his money, this year.

I have to think we could have had Spencer in 1, Blalock in 2, and still drafted the fullback we drafted, the same kicker we drafted, and probably one of the O.T's and one of the corners and been much better off this year.

I was ok with taking the guy we got in the early 4th. I hope he turns out to be a steal.

I guess I would have preferred quality of picks over quantity of picks as it pertained to the two OL and the two cornerbacks we drafted.