Draft Diary by Larry Asante: Chasing a Dream

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Draft Diary by Larry Asante: Chasing a Dream

http://www.nflplayers.com/Articles/Draft Diary/Draft-Diary-by-Larry-Asante-Chasing-a-Dream/

{ Nebraska safety Larry Asante, one of the top players at his position heading into the 2010 NFL Draft, tells his story. }
Author: Larry Asante, Special to NFLPLAYERS.COM Larry Asante was a three-year starter at safety for Nebraska and finished with 221 career tackles, the third-most in school history among defensive backs. As a senior, he tied for second on the team with 79 tackles, adding two interceptions and a forced fumble. His impressive season earned him first-team All-Big 12 honors from the league’s coaches. Listed at 6-feet, 211 pounds, Asante excels at both the strong and free safety positions, and is considered one of the top safeties heading into the 2010 NFL Draft. Check back often at NFLPLAYERS.COM to get diary updates from Asante as he chases his dream of making it to the next level.

The first thing I want you all to know about me is that my mom and faith in Jesus Christ have had a huge impact on me. Growing up, I was raised on strong Christian values, and outside of that I spent all my free time playing sports. I was always playing backyard football or shooting hoops, but we all dreamed of one day playing in the NFL. The reason I started playing organized football is because I always wanted to be like my older brother, Nick, who was a great football player. Over the years, I’ve developed a deep passion for football. I love the contact, the team aspect of it and the thrill of winning.
After high school, I began my collegiate football career at Coffeyville Community College and ended up being an All-American. It was a small town and there wasn’t much to do, but I’m a quiet guy and I pretty much like to keep to myself, so it was a perfect fit for me. When I was deciding on which Division I school I wanted to attend, Nebraska stuck out as an obvious choice because Lincoln is somewhat of a small town for such a big football program, and I wanted to be able to focus on football and my academics. It turned out to be the right decision and a great experience for me, getting to be part of the rich tradition at Nebraska and finishing my career playing on a great defense that finished seventh in D-I football in total defense.

In addition to doing well on the field, I’m proud to say that I did very well in the classroom. I earned a degree in economics and finished early, so I minored in ethnic studies and sociology as well. I love numbers and have always been a math guy. Growing up, I sat in the front row during math class so that I could get the most out of it as possible. I love playing football, but at the end of the day, it’s a business, too, so I feel that my degree in economics can help me out a lot moving forward.

When NFL teams take a look at me, I want them to know that my smarts play a big role in my success on the field. I would also say that my athletic abilities, toughness and patience on the field are my greatest strengths. As a safety, you have to be the most patient guy out there, be a leader and make the defensive calls. It’s all about reading and reacting and keeping the play in front of you.

Now that you all know a little bit about more me, I’ll give you a quick rundown of what the past few months have been like. After our shutout victory over Arizona in the Holiday Bowl, I headed home to take some time out and spend time with my family. Shortly thereafter, I flew to Houston, where I am now, and have been working out at the PLEX training facility in preparation for the Scouting Combine. I work out six days a week, two times a day. The days are long, working out from about 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. We do lots of stretching, running, Combine-specific drills and try to cover everything you can imagine.

The only real break I got from training was the week I took off to participate in the Senior Bowl. It was a great experience and I got to sit down and talk with all 32 NFL teams. The practices and game were organized well and we had something to do just about every hour of the day. As for the competition, I would say that I measured up really well with the other defensive backs and I don’t think there was another guy that looked better than me. Although I played a lot of strong safety in college, I played mostly free safety at the Senior Bowl. The thing is, I can play both positions really well, so I’ll play wherever a team needs me to play. Tell me the technique you want or who you want me to read and I’ll get the job done.

On the 27th, I fly to Indy for the Combine. I’m excited already, but at the same time I’m trying to remain calm. The Combine is a test and I want to be ready to explode during the drills when I get there, and show them everything that I’ve got. So until then, I need to keep training and get lots of rest. I’ll catch up with you all after my Combine workouts.

-As told to NFLPLAYERS.COM’s Mike Donnelly