"Draft Hackenberg" they said

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I thought he might be a good candidate to sit on the bench if he was still around in the late 4th (I never thought Prescott would be there at that pick). I feel no shame.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The book on Hackenberg was that he was advanced in terms of reading defenses and making audibles. My experience is that is often fool's gold with a college QB if that is what you are banking on. It's very easy to fall into the trap that because he thinks like a coach that he's gong to be great.

The other part is while his O-Line sucked and his coaching staff was poor...sometimes that is all it takes to screw up a career forever. This game is a difficult game, just like any other professional sport. And when you take time off or are taught something incorrectly, that is valuable time that you don't get back and may cause an athlete to never reach their potential.

YR

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think many of us knew that history has said that most likely at least one of those top three QBs picked will not pan out.
Way too early to tell. But it shouldn't come as a surprise if that happens.
It's more the norm than not.

As for Hackenberg. I was surprised he went in the mid 2nd round. Jets.

strollinruss

Reaction score
The book on Hackenberg was that he was advanced in terms of reading defenses and making audibles. My experience is that is often fool's gold with a college QB if that is what you are banking on. It's very easy to fall into the trap that because he thinks like a coach that he's gong to be great.

The other part is while his O-Line sucked and his coaching staff was poor...sometimes that is all it takes to screw up a career forever. This game is a difficult game, just like any other professional sport. And when you take time off or are taught something incorrectly, that is valuable time that you don't get back and may cause an athlete to never reach their potential.

YR
#David Carr

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
#David Carr

Meh.

David Carr had a ROCKET arm, lightning quick release and could do all of the accuracy drills that Alex Tanney became famous for. And he had good mobility.

Carr was what happens when you start a QB right away. He may have very well been a bust even with Parcells as his coach...but, that was a bad situation he was in. And his throwing ability and college performance made it reasonable to make him #1 overall.

YR

strollinruss

Reaction score
Meh.

David Carr had a ROCKET arm, lightning quick release and could do all of the accuracy drills that Alex Tanney became famous for. And he had good mobility.

Carr was what happens when you start a QB right away. He may have very well been a bust even with Parcells as his coach...but, that was a bad situation he was in. And his throwing ability and college performance made it reasonable to make him #1 overall.

YR
I was mainly looking at the O-line issue. Getting beat up is what, I believe, hurt him. Doesn't really matter now I guess.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Following a 6/16, 107 yard, 1 TD/1 INT performance last week, Christian "he was only bad because his offensive line sucked...oh, and his original coaching staff left" Hackenberg puts up a 11/31, 54 yard, 0 TD/1 INT passing clinic tonight against the Eagles.

If my math is right, that's:

17 completions/47 attampts
161 yards
1 TD/2 INT
36% completion pct.
That's Tebow style.