Draft History Question: Which Draft Pick Of An Opponent Bothered You Most?...

baj1dallas

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
...1995 Draft when the 49ers moved way up in the draft and seemed to "steal" J.J. Stokes away from everyone. I thought Stokes was going to be a stud, (the "next Jerry Rice"), and with the 49ers just coming off their defeat of us in the NFC Championship game, I thought the 49ers had pulled off another stroke of genius.

Well that's why I try not to get to excited about anything...for all the talk, almost nobody is a certain thing...hell even Peyton Manning hasn't proved he can win it all yet.

That said, when the Eagles drafted McNabb and they booed him...I knew right then he would turn out to be pretty good. And he has imo.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
...as we wait to hear the outcome of the owner's meeting and as I thought about Arrington's release from the Skins, I thought this might be an interesting topic.

In terms of the last 15 years or so, the 2 picks of "Arch-rival" opponents that bothered me the most were two picks that ended up being disappointments for our opponents.

The first was the 1995 Draft when the 49ers moved way up in the draft and seemed to "steal" J.J. Stokes away from everyone. I thought Stokes was going to be a stud, (the "next Jerry Rice"), and with the 49ers just coming off their defeat of us in the NFC Championship game, I thought the 49ers had pulled off another stroke of genius.

Then in 2000, as it became clear the the Browns would take Courtney Brown leaving Arrington for the Skins I also was sick. Watching Arrington at PSU, I thought he would be an absolute BEAST for the Skins.

It's interesting to watch how players' careers develop and see that those 2 picks just go to show that you really don't know about draft success until the players' careers play out.

Anyone else have any such memories?
Yeah Cap, I wanted Stokes bad, been a UCLA fan i just knew we had him then Frisco jumped up and grabbed him I was sick, but when he went to Frisco he got soft for some reason and then I hated him for choking like he did representing UCLA

Q_the_man

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Most recently it was losing out on Mike Williams.

All time has to be when Seattle took Shaun Alexander with one of the picks we gave them for Galloway. (Of course hindsight is 20/20.
We had Emmitt, so Alexander wasn't near the radar

neosapien23

Reaction score
I was extremely ticked off when San Diego drafted Quinton Jammer just one pick ahead of the Cowboys. Boy, am I glad they did! Jammer seems to get toasted on a consistant basis.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Q_the_man said:
We had Emmitt, so Alexander wasn't near the radar

I was just referring to the quality player they got in exchange for nothing that we got. PLus Emmitt was getting up there. I think he only played 2 more years with us.

QT

Reaction score
I wanted Tony Gonzales bad. I wanted Dallas to trade up to get him, but some reason we settled for David Lafleur.

Manster68

Reaction score
QuanTran said:
I wanted Tony Gonzales bad. I wanted Dallas to trade up to get him, but some reason we settled for David Lafleur.

What's worse, Dallas actually traded up for that wooden indian.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
When we drafted Roger Staubach in 1964 , but then had to wait till 1969 to see him play due to his Naval commitment.

It was worth the wait...;)

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Dare I get started?
In '98 Moss over Ellis.
In '01 Carter and Dixon over Rogers and Dwight Smith(kinda happy over this one).
In '02 Gurode over Portis.
In '03 Sean Ryan or Bruce Thornton over Mike Karney or Kelly Butler.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I was disappointed when the Eagles took Shawn Andrews, because he was an absolutely dominant player in college and I thought he'd be a great pro under Parcells. Not only did we not get him, one of our biggest rivals got him. :(

and he's made absolutely no difference for that team whasoever, meanwhile we ended up with Julius Jones and Marcus Spears

David

hendog

Reaction score
whcarm said:
I was bummed when San Diego got Drew Brees with their first pick in the second round. I was hoping we could trade up and get him. Instead we got Carter... puke.

I was hoping Brees would make to us in rd 2 as well.

I was hurt when Buffalo took Willis McGahee in 1. I wanted him bad.