Draft: Last Year Vs This Year.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Last year we knew we needed a 3/4 DE and a pass rshing 3/4 LB. We pretty much knew that we should take Merriman or Ware and knew that we needed Spears too. I think that the picks were pretty obvious as those players were available when our turn came up.

We needed a WR more last year IMO than we do this year. Mark Clayton, who I believe was a better WR than any in this years class was available and we did not take him.

RT was still a big ? last year and we did not take a T with the first 3 picks.

So, that leads us to this year:

- The WR's may very well be there at 18 but I think we will definately not go that direction.

- T is in better shape with Fabini than last year IMO (except for the status of Flozell) Not a lot better but a bit.

S- is still the same need as last year - we had just signed Henry and Glenn for DB's and had to believe that the strength in CB play would greatly benefit the FS position

OLB - We have 3 positions set, Burnett is the big ? as to when he would be able to come back full strength. I would believe that if BP truly believes that Burnett can play inside and outside he could be a guy who rest all the other LB's in a rotation scheme to keep players fresh. You need that in a 3/4 with the LB's taking on G's all day long - It would seem depth at that position is crucial.

NT - I just don't see us going in that direction. BP raved about Johnson last year - seriously raved as to wondering what he had done to be so fortunate in finding him. BP very well may believe he is set at that position for the next few years.

G- definite need IMO - not sold on Kosier or Peterman or Rivera.

So, after that list, I think we will take OLB or FS ( or a CB who can play FS or move one of our CB to FS) in the first, T/OLB in the second and G/FS in the third.

sago1

Reaction score
It sure would be nice if we could play around with 4 picks on the first day instead of our present 3. But don't think we will trade down much cause OLBs moving up. Maybe KC at 20th pick or Pats with 21st pick have enough need they willing to have arm twisted to give us a 3rd; don't want drop down much further then that unless a 2nd rounder involved.

Let's see, in my dream world of 4 first day picks we get: OLB Lawson, Wimbley or Carpenter in first round, OG Joseph/Spencer in 2nd round, and with 2 picks in 3rd round, we'd get WR Demetrius Williams/Maurice Stovall with our first pick & FS A.Smith/Watkins/Harper with our 2nd 3rd round pick. I'd also be happy with NT Baba Oshinowo (or even Watson or Wright if they slip this far) or OT Jonathan Scott in 3rd round if he avaiable. Sorry, I'm just tired of hearing about other teams like Denver who have so many first day picks.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dreamshatterer said:
If he is still there, do you pass on Chad Jackson??? Not sure, but do the Boys only have 4 WR?
Three "for sure" guys and several other guys that would be #3 on the Commanders' chart.

aikemirv

Reaction score
dreamshatterer said:
If he is still there, do you pass on Chad Jackson??? Not sure, but do the Boys only have 4 WR?

We passed on Mark Clayton last year who I think is a better player than any of the WR in this class, so I would say we do.

And really, to tell the truth, how many teams have quality depth past the top 3 anyway. They are just not there.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
dreamshatterer said:

Not all teams like spending a fortune on 3rd WR's.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
Not all teams like spending a fortune on 3rd WR's.
He probably doesn't realize that he would have to compete for the 3rd position here. In Washington he'd have the 2nd position handed to him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
aikemirv said:
G- definite need IMO - not sold on Kosier or Peterman or Rivera.
Please explain. Rivera was a multi year pro bowl guy who got hurt, the Cowboy brass intentionally targeted Kosier and went after him agressively, Peterman got hurt his rookie year so last year was basically his rookie year and was a former day one pick. Definite need? Not so sure about that. Spending a 3rd rounder on one is OK but nothing higher.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Please explain. Rivera was a multi year pro bowl guy who got hurt, the Cowboy brass intentionally targeted Kosier and went after him agressively, Peterman got hurt his rookie year so last year was basically his rookie year and was a former day one pick. Definite need? Not so sure about that. Spending a 3rd rounder on one is OK but nothing higher.

Once again, dangerous thinking.

We are not that good on the offensive line at ANY position that we could pass up a great value. You start thinking that "no OL unless three at least" is asking for missed opportunities.

If Justice falls to us in one, we should take him.

If Joesph falls to us in two, we should take him. And so on.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Alexander said:
If Justice falls to us in one, we should take him.

If Joesph falls to us in two, we should take him. And so on.
I agree with the second, but not the first.

aikemirv

Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:

I will just explain it in the fact that I was comfortable going into last year with Rivera and ended up dissapointed. Gurode would have been better at G than Rivera. Can he come back from his injury - I sure hope so, but we can't count on it. If not for the huge signing bonus he could have very well been gone. Jerry should have taken him up on his offer to tear up the contract.

Kosier, may very well be a good player, but I will believe it when I see it.

Peterman is still unproven and Gurode has not lived up to potential - so I am concerned.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Peterman is at least a more know subject then any guard in this years draft. If BP believes in him...
I would love to get Davin Joseph or Gilles in the second though. We should have 3 young guards so that in a couple of years when Rivera is gone we have 2 good starters and 1 good backup- all YOUNG.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
dreamshatterer said:
They do seem pretty high on Merritt.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
The perfect draft. Well, almost perfect. Trade down to 23-26 range. Gain a
3rd. Pick the following
1-Carpenter
2-Joseph
3-Watkins
3-Oshiwono

Pretty terrific first day. ;)