Draft Network - Breaking The 2019 Safety Class Into "Roles"

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Great read on the 2019 safety class.

Should help some to understand their pet cats probably shouldn't be just because they play "safety".

The role we ask that safety we might draft has to be considered.

It is kind of like drafting a tall perimeter WR when what you really need to function well is a pass catching slot.

I also highly recommend the Draft Network site. They are absolutely killing it with the analysis.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great read on the 2019 safety class.

Should help some to understand their pet cats probably shouldn't be just because they play "safety".

The role we ask that safety we might draft has to be considered.

It is kind of like drafting a tall perimeter WR when what you really need to function well is a pass catching slot.

I also highly recommend the Draft Network site. They are absolutely killing it with the analysis.

IMO, Safety is the most difficult position to evaluate other than QB because it's heavily dependent on the player's mental-makeup/instincts.

Many players have come through the NFL with more than enough athletic ability to play Safety but few become quality starters.

cnuball21

Reaction score
IMO, Safety is the most difficult position to evaluate other than QB because it's heavily dependent on the player's mental-makeup/instincts.

Many players have come through the NFL with more than enough athletic ability to play Safety but few become quality starters.

100%

I’d say same for LB. They don’t measure instincts and football IQ at the combine.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
“one thing you probably haven’t heard is that this safety class is among the best of any position group in the draft.”

Oh do tell....

DanA

Reaction score

That and half the time the safety isn't on the screen. So unless you are live at the game or somehow get all 22 you guessing half the time at what is happening.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I haven’t looked into the safety class too much outside of the top guys.

Looks like I need to check out Chauncey and Malik.

I know a litmus if fans like Woods on here, but to me his struggles with tackling are a big deal so I’d be down to upgrade both him AND Heath.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That and half the time the safety isn't on the screen. So unless you are live at the game or somehow get all 22 you guessing half the time at what is happening.
Agree.

I have the All-22 but I doubt most of the Heath haters have it.

Safeties tend to be in the camera shot when defenses give up big plays even when they were not responsible. That causes fans to often complain about Safeties.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agree.

I have the All-22 but I doubt most of the Heath haters have it.

Safeties tend to be in the camera shot when defenses give up big plays even when they were not responsible. That causes fans to often complain about Safeties.

So do you think Heath is a quality safety? I think he makes some splash plays but Jean incredibly inconsistent. It’s like Leters at CB IMO, he gambles and gives you high pick numbers but gets roasted a lot.

Meanwhile, guys like BJ don’t give you turnovers but are rock steady in coverage and have a low completion percentage against.

I’d prefer the later and would rather have someone more consistent against the pass and run.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So do you think Heath is a quality safety? I think he makes some splash plays but Jean incredibly inconsistent. It’s like Leters at CB IMO, he gambles and gives you high pick numbers but gets roasted a lot.

Meanwhile, guys like BJ don’t give you turnovers but are rock steady in coverage and have a low completion percentage against.

I’d prefer the later and would rather have someone more consistent against the pass and run.

Heath is average. "Good enough" but can be upgraded.

The Cowboys won a Super Bowl with James Washington playing Safety. He was an average Safety at best.

In the past decade some Cowboys Safeties:
JJ Wilcox
Barry Church Extreme coverage limitations.
Danny McCray
Alan Ball
Pat Watkins

Heath is better than the players listed above.

Agree an B.Jones. Jones played 1229 snaps in 2018. The league INT leader had 7 INTs.

About 700 hundred of Jones' snaps would have been against the pass. Do you want a player to be good on 7 snaps or 700 snaps...

Also as a CB (not Safety) Jones played well against the run.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score

The Cowboys won a Super Bowl with James Washington playing Safety. He was an average Safety at best.

JJ Wilcox
Danny McCray
Alan Ball
Pat Watkins

Agree an B.Jones. Jones played 1229 snaps in 2018. The league INT leader had 7 INTs.

About 700 hundred of Jones' snaps would have been against the pass. Do you want a player to be good on 7 snaps or 700 snaps...

I agree that people are mislead by live games when it comes to the secondary. I expected you'd say Heath is around average, without watching the all-22 that would have been my guess.

But, I'm surprised you include Church as a guy worse than Heath. I would have guessed they're pretty much a wash.

I also like your way of thinking about turnovers. Ideally you can find a guy who makes smart decisions about when to take the risk. Maybe a really good S makes it easier to take those risks.

I would like to see some a talent infusion at S. The last time we invested in that position witha high pick was BJ, and he's now at CB. I think Wilcox is the last guy besides BJ drafted at S in the top 3 rounds.

cnuball21

Reaction score

JJ Wilcox
Danny McCray
Alan Ball
Pat Watkins

I"d put Church ahead of Heath - and I think he was average. Solid in zone and against the rune, but exposed when asked to cover.

Regardless, would love to see more out of both of our safeties.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Good article. Ledyard and Brugler are both high on Marshall safety Malik Gant.

I just found this, it's pretty thorough:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/05/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-malik-gant/

Here's a highlight reel:

And here's game film against Old Dominion. He often charges from deep coverage to the wrong spot with 0 hesitation, but according to the draft network article this is part of the design of the Marshall defense, not bad decision making.

He seems like a great fit on the Dallas defense at SS and as a ST ace. I'm seeing him projected from 5-UDFA but the stuff I'm reading makes me think he'll climb.

I like this kid.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I just found this, it's pretty thorough:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/05/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-malik-gant/

Here's a highlight reel:

And here's game film against Old Dominion. He often charges from deep coverage to the wrong spot with 0 hesitation, but according to the draft network article this is part of the design of the Marshall defense, not bad decision making.

He seems like a great fit on the Dallas defense at SS and as a ST ace. I'm seeing him projected from 5-UDFA but the stuff I'm reading makes me think he'll climb.

I like this kid.

I just caught on to Gant fairly recently as well and love him - just did a mock with him as our 3rd rounder.

Appears to be quick to diagnose and the instincts look legit which I like in a safety. I don't expect him to blow the doors off the combine, but anxious to see how he tests.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just caught on to Gant fairly recently as well and love him - just did a mock with him as our 3rd rounder.

Appears to be quick to diagnose and the instincts look legit which I like in a safety. I don't expect him to blow the doors off the combine, but anxious to see how he tests.

The combine can be a catch-22. If he exceeds expectations then he might go too early for the Cowboys.

Forty times can be misleading.

Xavier Woods 4.54 has good range at FS and enough speed/quickness that he was the slot CB last year.

Kavon Frazier 4.58 is very good against the run but has borderline range/athleticism to play SS.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The combine can be a catch-22. If he exceeds expectations then he might go too early for the Cowboys.

Forty times can be misleading.

Xavier Woods 4.54 has good range at FS and enough speed/quickness that he was the slot CB last year.

Kavon Frazier 4.58 is very good against the run but has borderline range/athleticism to play SS.

How you use the 40 can be misleading.

Woods and Frazier have fairly close straight line speed, but Woods has better short area quickness and instincts so he plays faster.

If you only look at the 40 time to judge play speed, then yes, it’s misleading.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Gardner-Johnson is maybe the fastest riser on the board. He is starting to look like a top-25 guy if not earlier.

Draft Network puts out great content btw.

conner01

Reaction score

Very true
Jones is about as athletic as anyone in the nfl but that didn’t make him a great safety

DanA

Reaction score
Very true
Jones is about as athletic as anyone in the nfl but that didn’t make him a great safety

I agree.

The best safeties like to hit, have good instincts and play games with the QB. That’s not in Jones’ make up.

He has all the characteristics of a corner, the only thing that fit with him playin safety IMO was his size.