Draft pick likelihood of success

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't even think he's a good d line coach. Why because he inherited sapp and simeon rice. Who has he turned from late round pick or udfa into a pro bowler?

How often does any D-Line coach turn a late round pick or UDFA into a Pro Bowler. You act like that's common around the NFL except in Dallas.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Hill would be a 1st-round pick in most drafts, this was just a ridiculous crop of DL.

If he came out last year, he pretty easily ranks ahead of Taven Bryan, BJ Hall and PJ Hill.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There is a method behind the madness on Hill. Either you see and understand and are fine with the pick or you don't. That's why there are mixed reviews.

Dallas drafts a player and the mixed results happen automatically. lol LVE was not getting a lot of love last year. Fact is people do their mock drafts as soon as the season ends and if Dallas does anything other than select their guy they get upset. For me I figured Dallas would walk away with safety or DT both areas of need. Thornhill was there and I know the Cowboys liked him as well but took Hill. To me that says as much as they liked Thornhill they saw more in value with Hill than with Thornhill. According to some around here Dallas does not value DT and have repeated this over and over, well evidently when it came to Hill they see something they clearly like in him

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If he becomes a star, no one will care where he's drafted. I think people put too much into where a player is drafted. The DT isn't as sexier of a pick as a S and that's what most people look at, I think. But, we were gashed in that Rams game. We basically shut down Goff and the passing game. DT is what was more important in my opinion.

I think it being a sexy pick has nothing to do with it.

You're dealing with hardcore draft fans here. We do not care.

We just want value and by most projections we feel this is a rip off.

Just because the Rams gashed us doesn't mean we need to reach for a Defensive Tackle in the draft.

We reached for Taco based on need and now we're in year 3 wondering if he'll ever contribute.

Also, the Rams game had more to do with poor coaching on our end and excellent coaching from the Rams side. All the motion made our defenders have no idea where the ball was.

Dallas had a top 5 run defense all year so reaching for a D Tackle would be a sever overreaction.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
one guy overachieved out of how many. hes not a d line guru whos talent evaluation should be taken seriously.
woods was a good pick-up last year. DLaw was a second round pick that Rod pounded the table for. he too had "character" issues in college. We will see with Hill. I'm hoping it works out.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Just because the Rams gashed us doesn't mean we need to reach for a Defensive Tackle in the draft.

We reached for Taco based on need and now we're in year 3 wondering if he'll ever contribute.

Also, the Rams game had more to do with poor coaching on our end and excellent coaching from the Rams side. All the motion made our defenders have no idea where the ball was.

Dallas had a top 5 run defense all year so reaching for a D Tackle would be a sever overreaction.
Facts this is how I felt. I felt Hill could have been had later on. This draft picked players that will impact in 2020 not so much in 2019.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
woods was a good pick-up last year. DLaw was a second round pick that Rod pounded the table for. he too had "character" issues in college. We will see with Hill. I'm hoping it works out.
Woods is a jag and D law we had to trade up to the 4th pick in the 2nd round. He could have went late first. He was supposed to be good.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Woods is a jag and D law we had to trade up to the 4th pick in the 2nd round. He could have went late first. He was supposed to be good.
But he didn't go late 1st. If we hadn't traded up, who knows where he would have went. No one knows how teams rate players and set their board. We go by the Kipers and such, who have no real clue. We are just guessing on that part. But the bottom line to me is I think Rod does a decent job as DL coach and not a DC. You don't. We can go back and forth all day.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
But he didn't go late 1st. If we hadn't traded up, who knows where he would have went. No one knows how teams rate players and set their board. We go by the Kipers and such, who have no real clue. We are just guessing on that part. But the bottom line to me is I think Rod does a decent job as DL coach and not a DC. You don't. We can go back and forth all day.
You just confused me lol. You went totally left

Verdict

Reaction score
The Cowboys only have one known out of this draft, the 1st rounder, he can play.

The level of satisfaction with this draft seems to come down to that 2nd pick, DT or S and since they didn't go for Thornhill, some are pissed and downgrading something that can't even be graded yet.

Before we can really grade this, need some time and those UDFA's need to be factored in as well. In any draft, the first thing I ask is "did they address the needs" and I feel they did as best they could and added picks when they could. Comes down to what one defines as a greater need, a DT that might make the S better or a S that would have little effect on the DT.

McGovern was a future pick for 2020 to move Williams to his natural position and will provide depth for this season.

They got Elliott's backup in Weber and a Swiss Army Knife in Pollard and what was a very interesting situation with a brand new OC just got more interesting because he got another weapon. One that I think his predecessor would have underutilized.

One thing you need to do prior to any draft, before assessing your own team's haul, is gauge the strength and depth of the draft and this one was not a good one. I predict that this draft will have most of these players out of the NFL in 3 years and most of the remaining in backup roles. There were some blue chippers at the top but the fall off after that was really steep.

I have no problem with the Cowboys failing to address team “needs” in the draft. You can’t force a pick. If you stick to your board you will always acquire more overall talent than reaching for need. Eventually, it all evens out.

If we had not forced the Taco pick we would have another player who can actually play like we did pretty much every year after the Mo Claiborne fiasco.

Verdict

Reaction score

I agree. They are just opinions and I have zero problem with your opinions differing from mine.

Scotman

Reaction score
I seen on draft day, I think it was from Bleacher Report, the team had Hill sign or agree to a "work ethic" contract before they picked him.
What does that mean or is in it, don't know. I did not read it yet, the article if there is one, as it was an alert on my phone.

That "work ethic" contract is something they do with ALL the new defensive Cowboys...and have been doing. It isn't new and it isn't just Hill. It just fits the narrative to say they had Hill sign it.

Dorsett33

Reaction score

Ok. Well I disagree. I'm a hardcore football fan. If Hill records 6-8 sacks and disruptive in the run game, he will make the DBs better....do you think anyone is going to think about where he was drafted? I think not. I don't attribute the Rams game to coaching alone. At the end of the day, they are football players. If that was the case, we would have been drilled in the passing game as well. I tust the process. I recall people on here being highly upset that we traded up to get DLaw. Now does anyone care where he was drafted? I think not. There is no guarantee that Juan Thornhill will be good. There is no guarantee that Hill will be good. We don't know if Iloka will be serviceable, good or horrible but we got a S that is an upgrade over Heath in my opinion. And besides.... we don't know if from a scouting standpoint if Hill wasn't graded higher on the Cowboys board than Thornhill.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If a player shoots up the draft board based largely on measurables it tends to not go well. Lots of workout warriors did zero in the NFL. If the guy can play it should flash a lot on college tape against generally lesser competition.
Doh!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I've heard Hill projected anywhere from round 2 to round 5. Hard to judge, but seems to be a round 1-2 talent.

McGovern gives us flexibility next year depending what happens with Collins and Williams.

Weber to me feels like replacing Dunbar from a few years ago.

Jelk, I haven't seen much on but I keep hearing he is a steal where we picked him.

So he was projected to go in rounds 2-5 but he was a 1-2 talent? That doesnt even make sense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ok. Well I disagree. I'm a hardcore football fan. If Hill records 6-8 sacks and disruptive in the run game, he will make the DBs better....do you think anyone is going to think about where he was drafted? I think not. I don't attribute the Rams game to coaching alone. At the end of the day, they are football players. If that was the case, we would have been drilled in the passing game as well. I tust the process. I recall people on here being highly upset that we traded up to get DLaw. Now does anyone care where he was drafted? I think not. There is no guarantee that Juan Thornhill will be good. There is no guarantee that Hill will be good. We don't know if Iloka will be serviceable, good or horrible but we got a S that is an upgrade over Heath in my opinion. And besides.... we don't know if from a scouting standpoint if Hill wasn't graded higher on the Cowboys board than Thornhill.

Hill is going to be a rotation guy behind Crawford and Collins. He will be lucky to take 20 snaps a game. At this time he is also apparently a liability in the run game.

6-8 sacks is a borderline ridiculous prediction. Maybe if Collins gets hurt in the 3rd game and he is forced to play a lot. If Hill has 8 sacks I will be off the charts impressed.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Hill is going to be a rotation guy behind Crawford and Collins. He will be lucky to take 20 snaps a game. At this time he is also apparently a liability in the run game.

6-8 sacks is a borderline ridiculous prediction. Maybe if Collins gets hurt in the 3rd game and he is forced to play a lot. If Hill has 8 sacks I will be off the charts impressed.
Wait....lol. First of all, I said IF. It's not impossible. And second of all, how do you know he'll only get 20 snaps a game and he'll be a rotational guy? And how do you know he'll be a liability in the run game....lol. That kind of talk is ridiculous before he even gets fitted for his uniform...lol

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Wait....lol. First of all, I said IF. It's not impossible. And second of all, how do you know he'll only get 20 snaps a game and he'll be a rotational guy? And how do you know he'll be a liability in the run game....lol. That kind of talk is ridiculous before he even gets fitted for his uniform...lol

Pretty simple stuff. He is already a liability in the run game. Poor technique. Its been reported from scouts. Are they wrong?

We also have two starters in front of him. Collins and Crawford. He is also a rookie. Its called deductive reasoning.

Do your own research, form an opinion, argue a point. That's what people do on here.