Draft Picks Will Play Major Role In 2006

ravidubey

Reaction score
coco2 said:
And honestly as I read that proposal I think, yeah, that's all our eggs in 4 baskets but not a bad plan. Really.

The truth is that none of us knows how this will pan out. Neither do the experts. Most are getting excited about the potential upside of this draft and that is absolutely fine with me. Its fun.

Then there is the downside to look at. Not an obscure thought to suggest Carpenter could have been had lower though admittedly it takes two teams to trade.

An effective implementation of the 2 TE offense may be sheer brilliance but I think expectations of Fasono are pretty sky high now. I know he was picked about where he was supposed to be. Fine. But reading all the scouting reports posted here on draft day didn't scream 'sure-fire' to me. As I recall, he does have great hands, and ability to find holes. But he doesn't run away from LB's nor is he a good blocker. Now I think his productivity outpaced the report but I don't think any guy taken after Carpenter is a lock.

I'm not suggesting they're stiffs, or reaches, or on par with the Lacewll picks of the mid 90's. I just think there is considerable doubt with most of these players as is the case with every draft or other players we could have picked instead of them.

Unlike last year when one could point to #11, #20 and then Burnett as an early #2 I don't think you can look past Carpenter and know that any of the other players are going to get lots of PT. Ok, I'll throw in Fasano but I'm not ready to declare his time will be highly productive.

I hope so. I just think the rosy glasses are out in full force right now and reality is likely gonna slap back. I hear almost no one, fan or non, grading this draft an A, but it seems like many folks are wetting their pants over Stanley, Green, Watkins and the 2 TE set. Just seems a bit extreme to me.

Thats ok. Let hope abound. Tis the season. :)

I agree to a point coco2, it's not like Jerry and Lacewell were stupid or didn't care, they just didn't have the training, experience and depth of knowledge required to properly do their jobs.

A draft of Justice, Watkins, Gilles, and Vick would have put all our eggs into four baskets like you said, but it places an entire draft at risk.

The Jerry of the past focused on needs and not on players, and probably would have ended up with two hits out of a seven pick draft. The Cowboys today added eight players and should they hit on four of them they will be ahead of where Jerry's risk taking would have landed him.

Realize that today's average result, four, would have probably been old Jerry's best possible result.